Morning Brew: Humbertown condo plan rejected, polls support BIXI takeover, cops seek men over subway bike incident, food truck protest, and a historic Sunshine Girl
Etobicoke York Community Council has recommended the refusal of the controversial Humbertown development. After hours of deputations in a rented church, local councillors decided the latest plan to turn the 1950s shopping centre into a mid-rise, mixed use cluster wasn't to the resident's liking. The proposal will now go to city council for a final decision.
Bizarrely, mayor Rob Ford, an Etobicoke councillor, spent part of the meeting attaching magnets containing his phone number to cars in the lot.
Sounds like there's some support for a city takeover of Toronto's struggling BIXI program. A new poll conducted by Forum Research found more than half Torontonians support the idea of the city taking on the struggling enterprise and possibly integrating it with the TTC. Only a third liked the idea of a subsidy, however. Can BIXI survive under Ford?
A plan by the Exhibition Place board to sole-source a lease extension for Muzik nightclub is on ice, for now. The idea has the support of Ford ally and board chair Coun. Mark Grimes but it's not clear what the mayor, who has historically opposed similar contracts, will react. If it were to go ahead, Muzik would build three outdoor swimming pools in exchange for a 10-year lease extension to 2034. Currently, the project is on hold while repairs are made to the Horticulture Building.
Police are seeking three men filned throwing a bike under the wheels of a westbound subway train at Bathurst station earlier this month. The TTC says the incident risked derailing the train and causing serious injuries. The line was shut down as a result and passengers had to disembark the train.
The Toronto Sun is drawing praise for running its first ever transsexual Sunshine Girl, even though it didn't realize what it at was doing. Amelia Maltepe made the pages of the paper reserved for pinup girls on May 10. "They didn't ask me, I didn't tell," she told Xtra.
An "illegal" pop-up food cart will appear at city hall tomorrow in protest at a perceived lack of action on bylaws allowing mobile eats in a wider variety of locations in Toronto. Currently the city has strict rules about what type of food can be sold in mobile kitchens on its streets. A report is due back on changes to the rules in spring 2014.
Chris Bateman is a staff writer at blogTO. Follow him on Twitter at @chrisbateman.
Join the conversation Load comments