Bach St John Passion
Turbulent, intense, and tender, a Passion for our times.
When first performed, Bach’s St John Passion shocked the Church fathers in Leipzig with its intensity and fervour. It is just that intensity that makes it so relevant in today’s highly charged and turbulent times.
Our special performances of Bach’s masterpiece include projections of images, curated by director Ivars Taurins, from the illuminated Saint John’s Bible, a contemporary work of art that unites ancient Benedictine traditions with the vision of today. This striking visual element will explore a universal spiritual message while offering a deeper understanding of the context around St John Passion.
Harrowing, passionate, and tender by turn, the St John Passion reflects our world as well as Bach's. It refuses to shy away from the darkness inherent in the tale, which makes the final transformation of pain and grief into faith and love all the more powerful. One of the masterpieces of Western art.
What to expect from concerts at Jeanne Lamon Hall:
- Courteous and knowledgeable Front of House and Box Office staff to help you along your way
- A digital house program sent one week in advance, plus a concert handout with key details
- A digital pre-concert chat featuring Tafelmusik musicians and guest artists, sent one week in advance so you can watch before your show
- An up-to-date health and safety policy, which you can also find on our website
- A 30 minute intermission with concessions available
- The very best of baroque and beyond in a setting like no other!