toronto police

Toronto police caught beating innocent man on video

A 21-year-old man is suing the Toronto police for $5 million after being beaten during what the police now say was a mistaken arrest.

A bystander caught the entire November 1 arrest on video. The disturbing, nearly three minute clip shows Santokh Bola, of Woodbridge, screaming as police try to subdue him behind his grandfather's store in Rexdale. He and his family say he received serious injuries, reports the Canadian Press, in his statement of claim, which has yet to be proven.

According to the Toronto Star, Toronto police spokesman Mark Pugash admits that the arrest was a mistake. However, he says that minutes earlier, police had received a call about a man with a knife who matched Bola's description. Bola was held for a few minutes but was never charged.


Join the conversation Load comments

Latest in City

Donald Trump responds to the Justin Trudeau blackface scandal

No drop in support for Trudeau so far despite blackface photos

American talk show hosts are loving the Justin Trudeau blackface scandal

Toronto is planning to declare a climate emergency

Bullet holes found in Toronto Eaton Centre after shooting at Yonge and Dundas

TTC says they're sorry and will try to treat customers with dignity and respect

Toronto's most frightening haunted house is coming back to the city this fall

23 attractions in downtown Toronto that are a must visit