Vtape's The Curatorial Incubator -- Call for Curators
You think you got the skills to put on a fantastic art show? Do you envision yourself as a gallery curator with exquisite taste and a keen nose for talent? Vtape, the city's one-stop repository and research facility for video art, is now calling for submissions for their award-winning Curatorial Incubator project.
The fifth edition of the project entitled The Curatorial Incubator, v.5 - VIDEO ANIMATION "What's Up Doc?" will be a search for animated gems. Artists use animation techniques to critique the media, to conjure up the spirits, to play with history and look into the future. Participants in What's Up Doc? hone their curatorial skills in the media arts through workshops, independent research and writing, culminating in a public presentation of their selected titles, accompanied by a fully illustrated publication.
Following are the details:
Research phase (July-August) includes:
- workshops conducted by established curators, artists and arts professionals specializing in media arts and an interest in animation,
- free access to the vast research facilities on site at Vtape, with over 3500 tapes by 800+ artists and over 2000 articles on video art, and
- support for external research in locating previews and screening copies of works
Presentation phase (Sept 29 - Nov 3, 2007) includes:
- an exhibition of all the curated programmes with an introduction by the curator, and
- a fully illustrated catalogue of all the programmes with curatorial essays.
SUBMISSION DEADLINE: FRIDAY JULY 13, 2007, 4:00PM
Proposals must include:
- an up-to-date c.v.;
- a statement of intention (1 page in total) that outlines your interest in video animation and why you want to be part of The Curatorial Incubator, v.5 - What's Up Doc? video and animation .
- examples of critical writing you have done (published or non-published)
- examples of any curatorial or organizational work you have done
OTHER REQUIRED INFORMATION TO ACCOMPANY PROPOSALS
- indicate your availability for workshops July 28-29 and/or August 11-12, 2007)
- NOTE: If you are from outside of Toronto, please indicate how you would cover the costs of your travel to the workshops (to be held over 1 weekend) and research at Vtape (minimum 1 week).
Lisa Steele, Creative Director, Vtape
401 Richmond St. West, #452, Toronto, ON M5V 3A8
lisas [at] vtape.org
No phone inquiries please.
Join the conversation Load comments