Wednesday, September 3, 2014Clear 17°C
Eat & Drink, Video

How To Make Butter Tarts

Posted by Tim / December 14, 2007

Mmmm. Butter tarts.

It's only been a few months since Miss Cora's Kitchen opened in Kensington Market but it didn't take long for locals to discover the amazing scents of freshly baked goodness emanating from the oven. Owner and head chef Cora DeVries learned a lot of what she knows from her mother and one of the recipes that's been passed down from one generation to the next is her butter tarts. Hot out of the oven, they're tough to beat.

To learn the secret behind this once-guarded family recipe, I took my video camera behind the counter and into the kitchen where Cora showed me how to make the perfect butter tart. Watch the video below to learn how to make them yourself:

Keep reading for the full recipe and instructions.

Ingredients

For the pastry, you'll need:

* 2.25 cups flour
* Half a cup of cold vegetable shortening, cut into half inch pieces
* Half a cup of cold butter, cut into half inch pieces
* 1 tsp salt
* One third of a cup of cold water

Preparation

Place flour, shortening, butter and salt in a food processor. Pulse until mixture resembles course crumbs. Add cold water. Count 30 seconds and then pulse until dough begins to clump together. Empty bowl of food processor onto floured table, divide in 2, and wrap with plastic wrap. Chill at least one hour or overnight in the fridge.

Ingredients

For the filling you'll need:

* Half a cup of melted butter
* One cup of brown sugar
* 1 egg
* 1 tsp vanilla extract
* 2 tbsp. cream or milk

Preparation

Mix together.

To assemble tarts, roll out the dough on floured board. Cut dough into circles to fit regular sized muffin tins. Grease tins, and then ease dough into the muffin tin.

Add either raisins or pecans (4 or 5 per tart). Add a few tablespoons of the filling to top the raisins/pecans. Tarts should be two thirds full when they go into the oven.

Bake in 350 degree oven for 10 minutes. Check for browned pastry. Depending on your oven - bake for 2-5 min. longer if necessary. When ready, the crust should be slightly browned and the filling should be hot and bubbling. Cool and remove from muffin pans.

A big thanks to Cora Devries for sharing this delicious recipe. Try making them at home but don't forget to go to Miss Cora's Kitchen to sample the real deal!

Nikki / May 23, 2008 at 09:45 am
Thanks but how many tarts does it make???
Tim / May 23, 2008 at 10:14 am
I believe it makes 9, as shown in the video.
Sonam Choden Dorji / June 4, 2008 at 04:09 am
I loveeee butter tarts...just wanted to thank you for sharing your recipe..and it came out delicious....thank you*_*
Maureen / November 25, 2008 at 10:18 am
This recipe is the best I have found for butter tarts.It is NOT runny.The pastry is so easy to make.The recipe is for exactly 9 tarts. The instructions are correct and easy to follow.
Kelly / December 12, 2008 at 06:22 pm
Pastry was very difficult to use... too flakey would not roll well.
The Resist / May 26, 2009 at 12:44 pm
How what ingreidents to you need?
Kim Palahnuk / November 9, 2009 at 10:57 pm
I made these butter tarts and they were so good that both trays went within minutes. They were asking for more!!!! This recipe is a hit!!!!
AJB / December 19, 2009 at 12:31 pm
I want to make these butter tarts, but don't have a food processor. What can I do? - just use a hand blender? I'm new with the baking world!
ruth / September 29, 2010 at 01:04 pm
pastry directions not clear - video says 2 cups of flour but instructions say 2.25 cups. does not specify cake and pastry flour or all-purpose. what have other people done/used?
Jeanne / October 4, 2010 at 12:20 am
I made these butter tarts. They were delicious, but I found the pastry could have been cooked for a longer period. Is the temperture - 350 degrees and the time - 10 minutes shown in the recipe correct?
Im_Not_Telling replying to a comment from Jeanne / August 20, 2011 at 09:04 pm
Great Recipe i loved it and i made them when my friends were over at my house and they were paying me money to make more.
Marie / December 10, 2011 at 11:37 pm
Sounds really good I'm gonna try this recipe! thank you! I've always wanted to learn to make butter tarts:)
Shirley / December 15, 2011 at 07:34 pm
I don't like my butter tarts runny, do these come out runny?
if so can you add vinigar to the filling? I was wondering about that as you use cream in the filling
would appreciate the info.
Shirley
carol / December 16, 2011 at 07:35 pm
THANKS Ms. Cora~never watched my Mum bake butter tarts ~way too busy playing at LIFE!LEARNED so much from your video.HAPPY CHRISTMAS from New Zealand!
Hannah Tigges / February 8, 2012 at 05:49 pm
i heard youre supposed to add lemon juice can i Still do that?
Kathy replying to a comment from Hannah Tigges / March 6, 2012 at 07:37 pm
I made my own butter tart receipe years ago and I always used a bit of vinegar, so I think lemon juice would be just the same. It cant hurt this beautiful receipe.
Joan McKenzie / June 19, 2012 at 07:36 am
I have a question - I own a scratch bakery and we make butter tarts but if we fill them too full they over flow and look messy. Is there anything we can do?
Thanks, Joan
Norkoobi / October 8, 2012 at 08:52 pm
These butter tarts are the best I have ever had. They are not too sweet. The crust is awesome. I did not have regular shortening so used the Kind with butter in it. Yum yum. This is a real winner. Oh and they were not runny which is my favorite. Thanks for sharing.