Wednesday, July 30, 2014Mostly Cloudy 16°C
Toronto Film Festival 2008

TIFF Today: September 13, 2008

Posted by Sameer / September 13, 2008

Kate Beckinsale at TIFFPhoto: Kate Beckinsale on the red carpet by Ryan Coleman.

It's over. Almost.

Today is the last day of the Toronto International Film Festival, and honestly, I spent my night partying the festival away last night, so that's why this update is a little late. Apologies.

It has been a good festival for partying, I'll admit that. Whether it was a good festival for everything else has yet to be decided.

Eye Weekly's blog has an article asking if this year's TIFF was the "worst film festival ever" and Tim was interviewed by CTV asking if the festival has become too elitist. The verdict by most: a resounding yes.

It hasn't been all bad, to be honest. While Matt Mazur from PopMatters (as published in the Kansas City Star) was disappointed by the "jerks on Blackberrys and iPhones," he had a lot of good things to say about the festival and about Toronto itself — including shout outs for the Queen Mother Cafe, the helpful volunteers, and friendly Canadians on the whole.

If you're looking to send off the festival in style, TIFF is hosting a free outdoor concert and wrap party in Yonge Dundas Square tonight. The party will feature performances by Esthero, The Midway State, and Cadence Weapon, kicks off at 8pm tonight, and is open to anyone in the city.

Finally, if you're not looking to party but instead looking to catch a screening some time today, here are a few films that have been getting some good buzz but might have slipped under your radar. (They all still have tickets available too!) If you do decide to check any of them out, let us know what you think of them!

Happy festivaling! Keep checking blogTO over the next few days for wrapup and final coverage of the Toronto International Film Festival.

Rob / September 13, 2008 at 01:34 pm
This sort of thing happens to many festivals. It was only a matter of time before it happened in Toronto. I think when TIFF started the goal was to bring cinema to everyone in a festival for the city and everyone. It has clearly gotten away from that ideal. Whatever happened to starts talking about how they could feel free in the city and how they were largely left alone? You never hear that talk anymore, I certainly don't. It's a shame that TIFF has grown to become this elitest festival that, sadly, like most things now, are out of the reach of everyone else.
Kat / September 13, 2008 at 05:18 pm
I think it's pretty absurd that everyone talking about the elitism of TIFF is only citing galas and Hollywood blockbusters (which, let's face it, will be released in regular theatres within weeks or months) as their examples of how things have changed. It's absurd to judge a 300+ festival on that basis. Who cares about the galas anyway?

Anyone who's bothered to go to some of the documentaries, international films, shorts or midnight titles (or anything that isn't being shown at the Elgin or RTH, for that matter) would probably agree with me that the experience hasn't changed a whole lot over the past decade, at least.

The lineups are still long and the prices have definitely gone up, but lots of awesome movies don't sell out, and many lesser-known directors and actors are incredibly friendly, approachable, willing to linger after Q&As to talk to fans, etc. Plus, non-gala audiences are actually there because they're into these movies and not because they give a fuck about Kate Beckinsale, or whoever.

I can't help but feel like the people making the elitist argument are mostly interested in getting a cheap front row seat in a room with Brad Pitt, and not actually interested in experiencing the best that international cinema has to offer.
Tyler / September 13, 2008 at 08:38 pm
Haha, that's one of my bosses behind Kate Beckinsale.
Ry-Tron / September 13, 2008 at 10:36 pm
"Matt Mazur for the Kansas City Star was disappointed by the 'jerks on ... iPhones,'"

Well, Adam Schwabe was there for a show, I think. So was Sean G. Those jerk asses.

BTW, enjoyed listenin' to ya on cbc the other day. SAM to da EER says I.
Eli / September 14, 2008 at 12:05 am
I'm not quite sure where this sudden turn in the media towards the festival has come from. I found this festival to be one of the more enjoyable ones, at least from a programing perspective.
DjDATZ / September 15, 2008 at 09:46 am
Wow, Kate Winslett looks stunning!
Matt Mazur / September 16, 2008 at 09:46 am
Lol. I am not a writer for The KC Star, I am an employee of PopMatters -- we are sent out to various American newspapers for distribution!
Sameer Vasta / September 16, 2008 at 09:58 am
Thanks for the heads up Matt. I've tried to fix that.

Thanks Ryan. I blame Adam for my iPhone addiction as well.