Friday, November 28, 2014Partly Cloudy -7°C
Tech

Toronto startup wants to feed your pet via smartphone

Posted by Aubrey Jax / May 14, 2014

Nibbles appWhy shouldn't you and your cat have brunch at the same time? A new Toronto start up knows that when little Elizabeth Taylor-Muffins-Funnicula-Georange-Spike wants to eat, they're not only more likely to wake you up mid hangover, they're also going to start cruising for other things to snack on, like those vintage kicks you just scored in the market. Working late? Random hook up? Mini-vacation? Nibbles' smart pet feeder lets your pet to keep its routine no matter what, via your smartphone.

The Nibbles box, aka holy giver of snacks, can store up to thirty cups of food, dispensed via smartphone or on a set schedule. You can also watch your pet via Nibbles' camera, and record videos of how cute they are / how much trouble they're getting up to (evidence). What happens when Fido decides to mark his territory on Nibbles? I'm unsure. If you're out of town, please make sure a friend has a spare key and stops by to check on your lonely pet. There's no app for snuggles, y'all.

You can donate to Nibbles' Kickstarter page here, where $179 gets you an early adopter discount on the machine.

Mike / May 14, 2014 at 08:58 am
Nice, but this already exists and is well past the Kickstarter stage.

www.petnet.io
Lucas replying to a comment from Rafa / May 14, 2014 at 09:00 am
Right, because if you have a job that requires you to have a business trip every few months you shouldn't get a dog. I'm also certain that a dog pound where they're put to sleep after an average of 2 weeks is better than a 500sqft apartment too. Believe me, if a dog owner could choose a lifestyle where he can spend his time in close proximity of his dog instead of in an office, he would do so.
dogfriend / May 14, 2014 at 09:39 am
Dogs are social animals and need companionship. Dog sitters and who come and live with your dog while you travel, and dog walkers, who come take your dog out for some exercise during the day are the way to go.
Mike / May 14, 2014 at 09:59 am
This is a great idea!
Mike / May 14, 2014 at 10:06 am
Nice idea but what about the walking? What about the litter box changing?
mike in parkdale / May 14, 2014 at 10:24 am
one big advantage to timed food containers (at least with cats) is that the animals don't associate humans and food, so they are less likely to beg for a feeding.

But like so many of these current apps, it's not really an improvement on a basic timer. Meals should be at regular times, hangover or not.
Alan / May 14, 2014 at 10:41 am
Petnet launched in 2012 and said they would deliver by June 2013 on their indiegogo... None of the customers got anything to this date
Drea / May 14, 2014 at 11:12 am
A canadaiAn/funded made product with additional fees added on for shipping to canada?! And I may have to pay customs? .... Umm no thanks!
CopyCat / May 14, 2014 at 11:29 am
Looks a lot like - http://thehydrantblog.com/2014/05/14/18545/
em / May 14, 2014 at 11:39 am
This obviously isn't meant to be a replacement for human care, but things do come up and its nice to know you are able to make sure your cat/dog will be fed on time even if you're not there to do it yourself.
Chico & Co. / May 14, 2014 at 02:31 pm
This is certainly not meant to be a replacement for yuma care or dog walkers, but sure a good thing to have in case of emergencies when you cannot get home on time of arrange professional services. Now... a though one for those feeding raw like myself. :)
Joey replying to a comment from Rafa / May 14, 2014 at 03:00 pm
Think before you comment next time. Read your comment out loud and see if it adds any value whatsoever.

This product is a great innovation and I fully support it.
Who's a good dog? I wouldn't know cause I'm not there / May 14, 2014 at 03:01 pm
Thanks guys! animal neglect just got a whole lot easier?
Amy / May 14, 2014 at 03:19 pm
I was going to pledge until I realized that as a Canadian supporting a Canadian company I'd need to pay EXTRA to have it shipped to me! Wtf.
Mayari / May 14, 2014 at 06:17 pm
Any solutions for people whose pets eat strictly wet food?
JC / May 14, 2014 at 06:47 pm
This already exists and is called petchatz.. http://petchatz.com/

also look into feeding your dog anything but kibble they are all terrible!

Heather / May 14, 2014 at 07:20 pm
I do not think that people who neglect their furbabies are about to spend $280 dollars to be able to video check in and provide them with a snack during the day. I think it's a cute gadget for the high tech pup.
Justin Kim / May 14, 2014 at 08:08 pm
Hello everyone!

I’m happy to see a lot of interest in our product and I wanted to answer some of the questions/comments that I am seeing here.

First thing is regarding along the lines of “not spending enough time or neglecting your pet”. Nibbles should not be replacing the owner whatsoever. Like others have said, you should not own a pet if you cannot dedicate ANY time for them. They are social creatures! We built this product so that we can have few hours to ourselves on Friday nights or when we have to stay at work few hours later than usual. I personally built it because I was a lazy bum and I didn't want to get up at 6 am to feed my cat.

So far, all the other pet products that I've seen in the comments (other than Petnet) are treat dispensing products. We dispense dry FOOD that your pets eat every day at regular meal times! Well, we can technically dispense treats but we did not build it for that purpose. Our product holds up to 30 cups of food and dispense food regularly with your set schedule through our app. But, the products mentioned here (again, with the exception of Petnet) holds small amount of treats.

Last thing I wanted to answer is regarding shipping costs to Canadians. I’m sorry but Canada has a very expensive (and crappy) shipping system. It costs 10 USD to ship a candle from Toronto to Vancouver and the distance is 2720 miles (my apologies for not converting it into km). It costs 9.97 USD to ship the same candle from New York to Hawaii, which is a distance of 4899 miles (sorry again)!

I hope this comment cleared up some confusion (if there was any). Thank you for all your support!
Sue / May 14, 2014 at 11:09 pm
Most cats are very easy to feed. They will only eat what they need and leave the rest, I used to put out a weeks worth at a time in an aluminum pan and she would eat when she wanted.
Rory / May 14, 2014 at 11:12 pm
Yes there's still some confusion.I don't understand why shipping is free in the USAand not in Canada as well. Are these being shipped from within Canada?
Alan / May 15, 2014 at 12:05 am
Well if it is a true Toronto start up, you'd think they'd encourage you to just to pick it up directly from them. Or are they being manufactured in the USA and shipping them here? Either way you'd think they'd have some on hand here that you could just go pick up.
SarahHadley / August 22, 2014 at 12:32 am
Very nice idea...but is this really exits?