Tuesday, July 22, 2014Clear 20°C
Sports & Play

Toronto hits the street to celebrate Olympic hockey gold

Posted by Derek Flack / February 24, 2014

Toronto Olympic Hockey GoldThe Canadian Men's Hockey team repeated as Olympic champions on Sunday, as Toronto hockey fans spilled out from early-opening bars to celebrate the landmark victory. Yonge & Dundas was packed with flag-waving fans who couldn't contain both their joy and relief at the fact that the we can collectively lay claim to hockey supremacy for and additional four years. And that mantle goes, of course, to both our men's and women's teams.

Folks were mostly well behaved in the wake of the victory, something which might have been helped by the 7am start time of the game. Even as local bars were allowed to serve booze bright and early, it's a bit of a challenge to get completely wrecked by 9:30am. No, it was national pride that had these folks all exuberant and celebratory.

Check out what the victory party looked like in this photo gallery.

Phil / February 24, 2014 at 11:23 am
I just wanted blogTO to know that none of the photo galleries work in firefox.
Scott / February 24, 2014 at 11:37 am
I had no problems whatsoever getting completely wrecked by 9:30am.
Chris replying to a comment from Phil / February 24, 2014 at 01:15 pm
Hey Phil, I use Firefox and see the pics, which version do you have? I have 27.0.1
Ex-pat / February 24, 2014 at 07:38 pm
Are you SURE that's Toronto? Weird and fun partying isn't normally a part of this straighter than straight city
woohooGOLD / March 1, 2014 at 10:53 pm
This is what I imagined what Canada is like before I moved here. LOVE this country.
Toronto Maple Leafs Bus Tours / March 28, 2014 at 01:41 pm
I think the Vancouver celebration was a bit more intense against the United States and being on home soil.

The only thing that would compare to that would be if the Toronto Maple Leafs won the Stanley cup in Toronto... I couldn't image the party lol