Saturday, November 1, 2014Light Snow 1°C
Sports & Play

Toronto Air Show 2012 at the CNE

Posted by Derek Flack / August 31, 2012

Toronto Air Show CNEThe Toronto Air Show at the 2012 CNE — or, more properly, the Canadian International Air Show — has drawn its fair share of criticism over the last few years. Some say it's too loud, while others cite safety concerns. And then there's people who get giddy at the prospect of supersonic jets screaming overhead in Toronto. I'd probably fall in the latter category, my only complaint being that the sound of these planes criss-crossing the city always serves as an inexorable reminder that summer is unofficially over.

Here's what you need to know about this year's show.

When: Saturday, September 1st to Monday, September 3rd. 12:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Where: The VIP viewing area — i.e. the one that you need tickets to get into is nestled on the waterfront between Ontario Place and Marilyn Bell Park. The advantage to paying for tickets is that you'll have guaranteed sight lines and a seat. If you only plan to watch for a bit, I'd recommend heading to pretty much any area along the central-western waterfront, with the stretch between Marilyn Bell Park and Sunnyside providing the best views.

What to expect: Highlights will include the Canadian Forces' Snowbirds, a CF-18 Hornet (loud!), a F-16C Fighting Falcon, a T-33 "Mako Shark" Demonstration, and the Mike Wiskus & the Lucas Oil Air Show (amongst other performers)

Tips: Aside from the fact that you should know that you don't really need to pay any money to enjoy the air show, the big key for those looking to spend the day watching this display of militarism is that you need to save your spot along the waterfront early if you hope to get the best view of the action. I'd also bring a chair. I hate sitting anywhere without a back rest for too long.

Photo by David G. Tran

gz / August 31, 2012 at 10:37 am
fuck the airshow
dz / August 31, 2012 at 10:41 am
did a pilot steal your icecream?
gz / August 31, 2012 at 10:53 am
I'm assuming you don't live anywhere near it.
Dmitri / August 31, 2012 at 10:59 am
I live and work near the airshow grounds and I love it. To be honest, Toronto could get boring from times to times, especially when you get stuck in the work-home-work grind. But the screaming jets that fly just few meters over my head and amazing plane acrobatics give me a reminder that there is more to life than just eat-shit-sleep sequence. This is a one-time in the year event that puts the sonic scape of this city out of ordinary. This can not be a bad thing.
Chris replying to a comment from gz / August 31, 2012 at 11:03 am
If you live anywhere near where the airshow is taking place, then it means you likely live in the core - if that's the case, how the hell can you complain about noise? It never occured to you that it might noisy from time to time in dowtown Toronto? Besides, the airshow takes place during the afternoon. What are you doing on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon in your apartment that requires total silence?

Man, some people just like to complain for the sake of complaining.
Alex / August 31, 2012 at 11:09 am
I haven't seen the airshow in a few years, and the last time I saw it it was too long with too many similar planes. I remember it being about 3 hours long with a bunch of biplanes that all did the same tricks. I was a kid at the time and easily bored though, I imagine as an adult 3 hours sitting outside on a nice day with cool planes going by and a cold drink would be very nice.

I live in North Toronto, but it was really cool seeing and hearing the jets go by every once in a while last year. It's just something really cool that we as Torontonians are lucky to have once a year to make our weekends a little more interesting. No matter where you are that weekend you will always be checking to see if you can see or hear the planes :)
Oh Chris replying to a comment from Chris / August 31, 2012 at 11:17 am
Man, you sure got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning! No one said anything about 'total silence.' As a downtowner myself I'm used to noise from traffic, but the planes flying overhead are PAINFULLY LOUD. Besides, in 2012 what sort of person is still impressed by an air show? It's little more than a 4-hour advertisement for the military.
gz / August 31, 2012 at 11:37 am
@oh chris: nailed it
the lemur / August 31, 2012 at 12:05 pm
If you live downtown the airshow is way noisier than any everyday city noise, plus unless you fight your way to the waterfront you can't even see the planes.
Mike / August 31, 2012 at 12:20 pm

Leo / August 31, 2012 at 12:45 pm
Its loud, that's true. It's the sound of freedom - deal with it.
Rafa / August 31, 2012 at 12:52 pm
Love the airshow. Disappointed that the US cut back on budget this year and that their jets won't be doing an extended show. 3 years ago it was phonomenal. Blue Angels, and the F22...freakin' amazing.

If it's too loud, you're too old (or a homo).
Sanches replying to a comment from Mike / August 31, 2012 at 01:00 pm
You can not break the sound barrier in the city. It would shatter glass. It would have to be at some extremely high altitude to decay the wave.
Alex replying to a comment from Sanches / August 31, 2012 at 01:06 pm
You're right, they don't do the sonic booms until they are way high up out over the lake. It's really cool when they do and you hear the boom though.
mark replying to a comment from gz / August 31, 2012 at 01:08 pm
Ahh poor baby. Did the big planes scare you? Don't worry those mean planes won't hurt you. Just cower in your bed under the covers all weekend like a good scared little boy.
alan / August 31, 2012 at 01:15 pm
i think the coolest is the condensation on the wings...i think that's what it is...doesn't happen too often but i have seen it...
LooseChange / August 31, 2012 at 01:18 pm
You know what I hate? Online comments and their venom fueled, marginal, button smashing authors. I've now contributed to this very thing I hate. I'm going to cut my dick off. You should all do the same or similar.
Sally / August 31, 2012 at 01:25 pm
I'll fill in my vagina with quick drying cement.
sg / August 31, 2012 at 01:36 pm
The airshow is like a bunch of alpha males trying to prove how big their penis is. Get over yourselves, what a waste of space.
Carlos / August 31, 2012 at 02:11 pm
Noise? One day things will go wrong above the city center and there will be at least a block of houses gone with it. Isn't there a Great Lake around to practice above?
Jefferson / August 31, 2012 at 02:35 pm
I live near the Lakeshore and this morning a CF18 (I think) made a few passes over my house. The noise was visceral... you could feel the sound in your body. I loved it! There's a fundamental excitement to witnessing something so big moving so fast.

If supersonic jets flew overhead everyday, it would be annoying. Once a year, it's fun. Heck, traffic noise, construction noise and my neighbour watching movies at midnight with his cheap home theater subwoofer thumping are waaaaaay more annoying than the Air Show ever will be.
David replying to a comment from sg / August 31, 2012 at 02:41 pm
Exactly! Some of the comments here are hilarious, it's amazing how little it takes to amuse some people. Grown men acting like little boys impressed by shiny objects in the sky. Don't worry, we won't take away your precious air show! lol
kcco / August 31, 2012 at 02:53 pm
It is quite challenging to be a pilot of one of those aircraft. Many aircraft in our 'arsenal' are used to such things as Search/Rescue and relief flights. I think that if you take a small step back and admire the people for following their dreams and being tested every day and every flight, it sets a good example of what someone can achieve. Sometimes it is easier to hate on others' accomplishments....
B replying to a comment from mark / August 31, 2012 at 02:55 pm
Uh, I don't think anyone said they find the planes scary. Some people just don't find the air show all that interesting, that's all. Not sure what prompted your comment, you sound very insecure.
Dave / August 31, 2012 at 05:20 pm
I was on the gardiner this afternoon and got to see them do practice runs. It almost caused a couple accidents because everyone wasn't paying attention to the road. It's prob gonna blow this year because there will be no American planes. All your going to see are those whack ass Canadian snowbirds.
Sanches / August 31, 2012 at 05:45 pm
I think a few of you misunderstand what supersonic entails. You don't hear anything...until you hear bangs(no roars or screeching)...much after your observation visually. The Shuttle on re-entry descent experiences two booms..even unassisted flight (no engines). For condensation on the surfaces...look up the Prandtl-Glauert singularity.

I studied fluid dynamics in university. Useless crap.
Sanches / August 31, 2012 at 05:47 pm
Will add that you can see this too on the intake of most jet engines and some of the commercial jet surfaces...all very dependent on ambient conditions (temperature, saturation, etc).
Hmmm / August 31, 2012 at 06:18 pm
Love hearing from the whiners who hate the airshow, the wailing, gnashing of teeth and all that.

But the reality is the airshow is taking place once again in 2012 which = win. Suck it, whiners.
dave / August 31, 2012 at 06:36 pm
The airshow is super lame. Like guys wearing 'Tap Out' shirts lame. Like souped up Honda Civics lame, like angry hockey Dads lame.

It's macho BS at its finest.

Top Gun however is very sweet

burners go / August 31, 2012 at 06:43 pm
I HAVE SOLUTION

SNOWBIRD PAINTED RETRO COLOURS WITH MUSTACHE DISPENSING PBR OVER TRINITY BELLWOODS.

BAM. 100% SATISFACTION.
DOnnie replying to a comment from burners go / August 31, 2012 at 10:57 pm
Trinity Bellwoods Y'all! Trinity Bellwoods Y'all! Well I slam, jam, tip, tap, toe, tap, rewrap, in the TB in the park, in the TB in the park.
DOnnie replying to a comment from burners go / August 31, 2012 at 11:03 pm
Planes are flyin overhead, they circlin around. THe Airshow is on - this town is about to get down! Light it! Spark it! Bring it! Bring the Bong! Everyone get together and get along. Watch the birds, do their flips, the sound rips through you like Dirt MCGirt!
David / August 31, 2012 at 11:21 pm
I haven't watched the Air Show since I watched a British plane crash, killing its crew. Not much entertainment there.
DOnnie replying to a comment from DOnnie / August 31, 2012 at 11:57 pm
Critics be cryin, askin' why and, sayin I'm not rhymin, I'm not drivin, well here I am lettin y'all know I'm alive and work the rhyme and, check the time and, test the beat and,
Sare / September 1, 2012 at 02:55 am
I work nights. When I woke up this morning in Parkdale to the sonic boom, I was feeling a little cranky about it.
Then I walked down to Sunnyside and watched them practice. It was breath taking.
Yes, the noise makes it difficult to sleep. Yes, it is very distracting (try having a conversation when eight jets are breaking the sound barrier.)
But it was very beautiful and thrilling to watch them soar overhead.
It's a part of life in the core and it's only for a few days.
TimThomas / September 1, 2012 at 08:23 am
Love the airshow.
Every minute the pilots are in their cockpits is part of ongoing training, we just get to watch them during the airshow.
If you want to declare war on noise how about starting with the Harleys?
Kevin Ellis / September 1, 2012 at 09:44 am
From as far back as I can remember, I've been fasinated with aircraft and war planes. With that said, I don't agree that the air show should be held so close to residential areas. My girlfriend and I live very close to the action and we have 4 cats. When we weren't expecting the extremely loud noise, it REALLY scared us and the cats probably had heart attacks. One day a few months ago, we were walking downtown without a care in the world and all of a sudden, ssshhccrrrrr!!! We almost hit the deck and I don't think anything could scare us more! My girlfriend still has anxiety from those things and I worriedly wonder about our four loving cats and how they feel about it all.
jp / September 1, 2012 at 09:59 am
Breaking the speed barrier wont break glass.Fucking idiots.
jp / September 1, 2012 at 10:05 am
All these bitches complaining about the noise should get the Fuck Out of our city and stay there!
rere / September 1, 2012 at 10:38 am
airshows are ffffffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuunnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!!!!!!!
Mike / September 1, 2012 at 11:01 am
It's sound barrier not speed barrier dumbass!
Matt / September 1, 2012 at 11:06 am
Meh, the Airshow happens three days a year. Whiny Torontonians complaining about stuff -- that's a 365 day event.
James replying to a comment from gz / September 1, 2012 at 12:14 pm
gz Don't like it? MOVE!
James replying to a comment from gz / September 1, 2012 at 12:17 pm
Matt I couldn't agree more! Welcome to the city of whiners!
James / September 1, 2012 at 12:26 pm
Rafa, just so you know, "homos" like myself love the airshow, so get that stereotype out of your head. I can assure you that "homos" would be the least to complain as well!
James / September 1, 2012 at 12:26 pm
Haha jp, well said!
Amanda replying to a comment from jp / September 1, 2012 at 12:41 pm
Wow, gotta love the morons in the city of gangs,guns and bedbugs and yes allot of people are getting out of Toronto, it is a place called Alberta and of the silence of the Rockies and nature something you morons in the filthy landfill site named Toronto will never understand. sorry but Ontario and Toronto is losing it's most brightest and educated people to the West... so little one you stay in the 10 dollar Province or show some intelligents once in your life and go West young moron.
dave replying to a comment from Amanda / September 1, 2012 at 01:06 pm
Hey Amanda
Nice post. I have no clue what the hell you're talking about or how it pertains to the Airshow, but thanks for providing such incredible insights. Did we lose you to the west? Shit.

Next time you decide to comment on someone's 'intelligence'. Maybe don't spell it incorrectly.

Yuppie Trash Viper / September 1, 2012 at 01:38 pm
You f*cking retards that move to the big city just f*cking kill me. Move in, then complain and try to change everything to suit your f*cking agenda. Retards. Every year, there is an air show. So, f*ck U, suck it up or go back to where the F*CK your scanky a$$es came from.

Ewwwh, too much noise. F*ck off and die. Why don't you try some choice f*cking property near a golf course. Then, you can complain your retard a$$ off about the lawn mowers in the morning waking you up.

YOU F*CKING MORONS.
hipsterssuck / September 1, 2012 at 01:45 pm
hipsters whining about airshow noise again?
dave replying to a comment from Yuppie Trash Viper / September 1, 2012 at 02:07 pm
Hey there 'Yuppie Trash Viper'

How's life going for ya? You seem a little stressed champ.

Here's the thing; It's just the internet. No need to get so fired up.

Everything ok?

Maybe you should go do something fun today, like see an airshow.
Might help with the stress, take your mind off of things a bit.

I know it must be tough. But these things take time.

We're all pulling for you on this one

gerry replying to a comment from gz / September 1, 2012 at 04:09 pm
gz.

Dude are u aware of the saying, ( there is one in every crowd?) Well thats is you they are talking about. Please get yourself on happy pills bro, you need them. Children love the air show. dz, loved the ice cream shot at this idot..haha cudos to u.
Miami 1191 / September 1, 2012 at 04:31 pm
No wonder REAL world events don't happen it Toronto, why the organizers don't pick this city. Events like the Worlds Fair, the Olympics etc. Please, don't mention the Pan Am games! That small stuff. I'm talking world events.

This city calls itself world class and it's FULL of a bunch of complainers!

Grow a pair Toronto!
TimThomas / September 1, 2012 at 05:23 pm
The glider in the airshow today scared my mongoose and it bit my cobra!!!!
Gotta Kidding Me replying to a comment from Kevin Ellis / September 1, 2012 at 05:34 pm
Pussies...
hooray! / September 1, 2012 at 11:40 pm
I like the airshow. I don't have to set my alarm clock to wake up this weekend!
jugregory / September 2, 2012 at 01:02 am
I think, as an Englishman who visits Toronto regularly, that you may possibly have it too good. I am, regardless of that, happy that your lives are so cushy that this is a subject for passionate debate.
seanm / September 2, 2012 at 02:17 am
Why does BlogTO even post about the air show? It's the same whiny bullshit every year on the comment boards. Thunder is pretty loud too, maybe we should ban it as well. Get over yourselves.
Cristine / September 2, 2012 at 09:29 am
Just remember all - this isn't really for the adults, it's for the children and they still love the airshow. It's only 3 days for a couple of hours and the kids enjoy it. They haven't seen it repeatedly like some of you. :)
Barb replying to a comment from Rafa / September 2, 2012 at 12:10 pm
Your homophobic comment indicates a narrow-minded yet smug individual...completely contrary to Toronto's inclusive attitude that is respectful of differences.
joe blow / September 2, 2012 at 12:21 pm
The CNE Airshow is so lame nowdays. I am 44 absolutely love jets and aircraft, and it was a ritual going to it every year since i was old enough to walk. I went to every one all 3 days (4 days in the old days) of every years show. But in the last 20 years each successive year it gets lamer and lamer. Due to budget cuts, changes in laws on how low/close to land they can go, etc.. There are way fewer acts now, and many of the best jets of all time are long gone and retired (the SR71 Blackbird. The Avro Vulcan, The Concorde). I remember years when you had more than 4 jet acrobatic teams in one show! The Snowbirds, The US Thunderbirds, The Blue Angels, The Italian Team.. as well as all the big jets and bombers like the B1, the F117 Stealth Bomber, F22 Raptors. Even the space shuttle came one year on the back of it's 747 mothership! But in 2012 we get only two... that's 2!!! modern jets, in the entire show!. One Canadian forces CF18, and one F16 from the US. That's it! the rest is old pre 1960's jets. Old WWII and WWI bi-planes and other propeller craft, which is a total bore to 90% of the people at the show. Whenever you are at the grandstand watching and the propeller planes come in thats when you see everyone heading to the washrooms or to get food, take a hint organizers! Because they are BORING!

The snowbirds put on a good show, but they are planes that were built in the 1950's! and they are just little tutor jets. The entire team of 9 planes make less noise than one modern jet. The Blue Angels fly F18's in formation, far more impressive. I won't be going this year, or probably ever again. All the excitement is gone.
Rattus Canadiensis replying to a comment from Chris / September 2, 2012 at 01:36 pm
Actually their practice range takes them over suburban neighborhoods out toward Mississagua, over the Humber Bay area, which isn't urban at all - and the planes fly very close to the tops of peoples' homes for several days in a row.
Rattus Canadiensis replying to a comment from Rattus Canadiensis / September 2, 2012 at 01:40 pm
Which isn't to say I'd want to get rid of the show, I think it's fine and rather neat - but it would be nice if they changed their practice area rather than having it over the same neighborhood every year.
Derrick / September 2, 2012 at 01:44 pm
The only way those planes scare u is if you are use to being in a hut in Al Qaeda country...it is a couple days a year and it shows how far we have come... I wish they would fly a few drones over to us How really far we come lol
Derrick replying to a comment from Derrick / September 2, 2012 at 01:47 pm
English bad lol I meant "to show us how really far we have come"
Matt / September 2, 2012 at 03:38 pm
These comments from some people are really gross. The Snowbirds and biplanes are cool, but the pro war fighter jets have no right flying so low over populated areas. They should not be taking even the remote chance of crashing by flying over the city (and they do crash, as one did just this weekend in the Iowa). I know I'll be called names by some small minded pro war freaks...so take your best shot. Its what I believe.
ken / September 2, 2012 at 03:54 pm
just came back from the airshow. Must say it was one of th boring air show in recent time. Remember a few years back when a screaming jet would fly over the CNe ground every other minute. This year, it was just a few planes flying over and doing the same tricks over and over. My kids wanted to go home coz it was so boring. It's really a sign of time.
Matthew Smith / September 2, 2012 at 03:56 pm
Why was my comment deleted when some of these comments are swearing and putting people down for saying what they believe? The air show is dangerous and should stop flying war jets over my house.
WakeMeUp / September 2, 2012 at 04:07 pm
The Snowbirds put on a fantastic show, the CF-18 is impressive. Melissa Pemberton and the Lucas Oil guy are great (but they fly in the sun so they're invisible to anyone who wants to leave with some sight.) Harvards .... ho hum.

Having paid to attend and having been lied to by the organisers (no F-16 or Griffon ...) it was a BIG DISAPPOINTMENT.

Given the budget cuts, I'd rather see one proper airshow every three years than this lame, lame, lame excuse for one.
Justin replying to a comment from Amanda / September 2, 2012 at 06:27 pm
No, that's alright you keep your poisoned oil sands water.
Andy / September 2, 2012 at 08:18 pm
Great way to cheer our air force and the work they do to keep the bad guys "over there" and not right here in Toronto. Way to go!
D0nnie replying to a comment from Andy / September 2, 2012 at 09:06 pm
Great way to cheer, grab a beer
don't tell your man that I still call you dear...

Food Building, Super Dogs
It's no doubt that the EX creates a lot of jobs
From Food Concessions, to Running a ride - either way your pullin the knobs!
brian / September 2, 2012 at 09:43 pm
Not what it used to be. Should be called the Etobicoke air show because the majority of the time the planes were over there. Went to the Tor. Island to watch it. Thank you Snowbirds for flying over my head otherwise it was a waste of time. Give me the old days.
yodel replying to a comment from ken / September 3, 2012 at 12:14 am
I hope you slapped your children and reminded them why the old warbirds are significant.
Steve / September 3, 2012 at 10:56 am
The Airshow has been a staple in this city since before the war. You complaining bitches made your compromises when you moved into the city. Don't like the noise. Then don't let the door hit yo in the ass on the way out. You whining clowns won't be missed. The airshow isn't going anywhere. There are FAR more of us than there are of you.
Matt replying to a comment from Matthew Smith / September 3, 2012 at 12:35 pm
Lighten up, Francis.
Holly / September 3, 2012 at 01:36 pm
Wow, people love to get offended.
If someone's complaining about the airshow noise, why is it necessary to tell them to move? Or tell them to deal with it? Or to go away from the weekend? Or tell them that's a decision they made when they moved to the city (what if they didn't).
People need to stop thinking in black and white, and need to stop holding on to "tradition so much.
The airshow is noisy. I've worked 72hrs a wk for the past 3 wks, and this weekend I'm at home resting because I believe I deserve it. To feel like I'm in war-torn Iraq for 3 hours/day for 3 days is not necessary. I feel like if it happened just once that could be excusable, it's just one day. But it was the whole weekend.
Where is the compromise? How do you reconcile the two? Families, plane enthusiasts love the air shows. Some residents are terribly irritated by the noise. Instead of being vicious to each other, how about someone toss in some possible solutions to make both parties happy, because I believe it's possible. This is not America, we don't have to be limited to just the 2 choices.

Thank you.
Kenny / September 3, 2012 at 02:27 pm
-Why celebrate and glorify war machines?
We aren't necessarily celebrating machines of war, it's more about the awe of engineering/technological marvels of flight. Especially since we, as regular citizens, rarely see such things. Plus, these "war machines" perform more Search & Rescue missions than they do bombings.

-It's a waste of money, fuel, and damaging to the environment!
It brings in more money (ie: tourism) than is spent. As for the fuel/environment, it's minute relative to every other mode of major mechanical transportation.

-It's too loud! I and my dog/cat get extremely frightended by the noise!
You can't handle 3 days, for a few hours at a time, of noise? You live in Toronto, expect disruptions of all kinds. Airplanes at Pearson are much louder, especially giant airbuses. As for you dog/cat, your vacuum scares them more, and I'm pretty sure it makes many more appearances than the air show.

-People escaped their war-torn countries where fighter jets bombed/killed constantly, only to see them again here.
The difference being, they know they're not being bombed/killed by the fighter jets at the Toronto Air Show here in Canada.

-It's extremely dangerous! There have been many crashes!
16 crashes in 60 years. In all of Canada. Not all resulted in fatalities. The last Toronto air show crash was in 1995.
Steve replying to a comment from Mike / September 3, 2012 at 02:59 pm
Smart comment, to which I fully agree.
Steve replying to a comment from Steve / September 3, 2012 at 03:06 pm
" Sure it's noisy, then again everything is. For a few hours once a year it's not a big deal. I wish it were noisier. I'd love to hear those planes break the sound barrier. Who gets excited by planes still ? Me. I love the physics, the extremes and yeah, it's good to know that someone out there is keeping their skills sharp while I sit comfy at home. Painfully loud ? Get a life. I'm betting the Toronto Indy irks you too.

There's a simple solution. Don't like it ? Go up north for the long weekend, leave town, put some ear plugs in. The air show gets less impressive and speeds are limited because of one or two people, who obviously have nothing better to do than make phone calls and write complaint letters. Sheesh. "

It was Mike, who made this comment, that I was replying to. People like SG and GZ simply don't get the full complexity of life, oversimplifying everything to suit their brains. ;-(
kramer / September 3, 2012 at 03:49 pm
I am at the show now. I have been here the past few years. Its a fun event.

The only suggestions I would have to improve the event would be to have a more detailed shedule. It would also be nice if someone was keeping all of the jerks in their suvs from parking on the grass infront of old couples and kids that have been waiting patiently for hours.

Its a fun event!
John / September 3, 2012 at 04:38 pm
The CNE (Canadian Nauseating Exibition) is one huge rip-off. The only thing worth while is the air show. If there is one thing about the air show I would scrap, is the Snow Birds, my god, same garbage every-year. The CNE has worn out it's welcome. however, every year suckers keep going. The CNE is similar to Toronto, one huge toxic waste site.

At the same, rid the city of the TTC (Toronto Trash Commission) Never in my life have I seen such a toxic waste land as Toronto; rude ignorant species, where the average IQ rarely sores above 80. It is very difficult to find one positive entity about Toronto.

I know many of the intellects low in intelligence will take offence to this, and I hope they do because they will prove my point.
Kc replying to a comment from gz / September 3, 2012 at 07:17 pm
Hey it's one of the only things Toronto has going for it . The jays suck The leafs are only for the rich and company's. Of course there's the jackass parade and lots of unneeded construction were no one seems to be working and the government doesn't seem to care. So the trained all year for one weekend should be given a little high five and why don't you wine about anythings go text message In front of a bus
rob / September 3, 2012 at 08:13 pm
i thought this years show was pretty lame i mean they had only one jet on the last day and had these 4 yellow lanes on for what seemed like forever 2 thumbs down for this years version
D0nnie replying to a comment from rob / September 3, 2012 at 11:27 pm
Was it lame? Was it Tame?
Check yo'delf and watch me drive the lane.
Randy / September 4, 2012 at 12:22 am
To stop Toronto from being a Metropolis:
1. Shut down CNE - Put up a community shared garden.
2. Add 30 or 40 more condos on the property.
3. Add restaurants that do not serve alcohol.
4. Close down all bars.
5. Close the dome and the CN Tower.
6. Close down all low income housing, coops, shelters and any other social program/utility that helps the less fortunate.
7. Heck, close the hospitals/walk-in clinics and just have nurse practitioners/doctors going on call.
8. Make everything privatized because only the rich and fortunate should be able to live a quiet life in a METROPOLIS!
9. Any kind of recreational/professional sport should be abolished to silence the crowds and any negative behaviours associated to drinking, losing or winning a game or just having fun.
10. Put up some chess/checker boards everywhere because this is clearly only an intellectual city where smoking, drinking alcohol, having fun, playing sports or board games, watching tv/movies, having the volume up, talking loudly, being passionate, singing, dancing, sharing cultural ideas and customs, celebrating, arguing, debating, being blissfully happy, driving a car, eating a burger, not eating completely and utterly healthy at all times and to always be aware of everything you do or say at all times in case some one intellectualizes what your doing to death. Toronto does not want to be New York. Toronto does not want to be Honk Kong. Toronto does not want to be Amsterdam. Toronto does not want to let anyone be themselves without bullying them back to their homes and into their books to read by dim lit candles while sniffing their own freshly baked bread to the sound of Glenn Gould and going to bed at 8:30 pm because that is what good people do...because that is what good people do...and if you deviate from that norm...step back because the intellectual will analyze you and criticize you and win. You will never beat an intellectual in an argument because they spend their life convincing others of their joy to live in only one fashion...intellectualizing themselves.

Randy / September 4, 2012 at 12:43 am
Oh ya...this is about the Air Show.
So be it. I'm not an Air Show enthusiast but I've met some really swell folk that fought wars in them planes and them peoples saved lives. I reckon those folks deserves medals because I sure don't know nothing about flyin' those big rigs in the skies.
In fact, some of those wonderful folks have been around the world and back and lived the lives of 20 of us folk through war and famine...geez
Some told me tells about watchin' their buddies crash landing. Some told me they didn't even want to fight but had too...and ya, some of these folks were smart too...intellectual even...
I'm not big on war myself...but who is...this is an Air Show... SHOW...SHOW
In fact, some of these intellectual folks were Snipers. The last thing on their mind was to be MACHO. They were scared to the point of peeing their pants while at war.
Some of the folks that come to the Air Show opened up to me and showed their tears...they told me they came every year in hopes to see old pals...old buddies...and sometimes...sometimes they met them...they found out after 40 years that their buddy was alive...All sorts of vets from different wars come to check on each other there...and ya they don't like the macho type that show up either...I've read books by candle light and listened to Glenn Gould...heck, even gots meself a degree or two...but, I don't cuss out others in public or hurt their feelings...and if I did...I'd apologize for it....maybe...maybe Toronto should follow up the Air Show with a Hot Air Balloon Festival! Maybe that's quieter and less evasive for those trying to get through the last page of Don Quixote while listening to the soundtrack of the last ballet as their nanny sings their 10 year olds to sleep. Just another stereotype...haha.
Ratpick / September 5, 2012 at 01:30 pm
Terribly, terribly lame show this year. Bring back the MiG! Bring back the F-104! Bring back the B-52 and the B-1!

A quartet of Harvards with their props finely pitched to create extra noise? Yawn.
Spike replying to a comment from yodel / September 6, 2012 at 07:54 am
Sorry, Yodel, but perhaps they don't want their kids to know or care about war planes, or serve in any air force or be involved in any future war? Ever thought about that?

Also, have any of you people ever thought about the refugees who come from war-torn nations who can't stand the sound a jet makes due to experiences of being on the receiving end of a jet's cannon or bombs? This was already mentioned by one recent refugee two years ago on why she wanted the Air Show to stop.

As it is, it's time for the CNE to go, anyway, to be replaced by something else, as was mentioned in an article in EYE Weekly around 2005. Let the land and buildings be used for events like art and food fairs, as was suggested in the article.
Spike replying to a comment from Spike / September 6, 2012 at 08:07 am
BTW, here's the article in question: http://contests.eyeweekly.com/eye/issue/issue_08.14.03/city/ex.php
the lemur / September 6, 2012 at 09:31 am
Maybe if the idea is to show off how awesome the planes are and how they 'bring freedom', they should put them on display on the ground, where people can actually SEE them.
Ratpick replying to a comment from Spike / September 6, 2012 at 01:55 pm
"Also, have any of you people ever thought about the refugees who come from war-torn nations who can't stand the sound a jet makes due to experiences of being on the receiving end of a jet's cannon or bombs?"

Respectfully, I have to point a few things out.

No bombs go off during the air show. Nobody fires the cannons.

Moreover, very few refugees these days come from conflicts where jets are used (jets are a first-world game). They come from places where militants travel in helicopters, or Toyota pickups with AK-47s. There, the scariest sound in the world is not an F-18's afterburners, it's a knock on the door in the middle of the night.
D replying to a comment from Ratpick / September 6, 2012 at 05:59 pm
Uh, I think Spike meant jets from "first-world" countries bombing people in poor countries. That's what planes like these are actually used for.

And, by the way, the US military considers a militant to be any "military-age" male in a strike zone. So when you read that a drone killed x number of militants (itself illegal) remember that the militants are often just civilians in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Ratpick replying to a comment from D / September 7, 2012 at 09:09 am
"Spike meant jets from 'first-world' countries bombing people in poor countries. That's what planes like these are actually used for."

And I still maintain that helicopters and Toyota trucks full of men with cheap rifles are the main tools of destruction in "war-torn" countries from which most refugees come.

I'm not defending ridiculous toys like the F-35 (which, like all manned fighter jets, will be obsolete the day we take delivery of the first one). I'm just saying I think your argument is flaccid.
Alex replying to a comment from Spike / September 7, 2012 at 10:32 am
So? They're refugees. We took them in, gave them shelter, medical aid, and a chance at a new life in a great country. You really think they care about an airshow that happens one weekend once a year? Stop using other people for yourself. You don't like the airshow, deal with it, but don't pretend you're fighting it for other people.

To everyone that moved to the city to be close to everything, but complains about the noise: Move out of the city. Cities are loud, noisy, smelly, etc. because there are so many people in them doing so many different things. Stop expecting everyone else to conform to what you want and loosen up. You might just find you actually have some fun.
Spike replying to a comment from Alex / September 7, 2012 at 11:03 am
Excuse me, but I'm not interested in hearing self-entitled arrogant neocon redneck First Worlders like yourself put down people who've suffered due to war and famine. They've gone through true hell which neocon jackasses like you have NEVER endured, and (hopefully) won't ever do so; PTSD, loss of homes, friends, family, self, and livelihoods; emotional trauma, and any other psychological disorders covered in the DSM. What fracking right have you to say that they shouldn't be speaking out about this or telling them to move out of Toronto if they don't like it or tolerate it? They're Torontonians and Canadians, and they pay taxes and work just like you do (although they probably aren't as brainwashed by the Toronto Sun, Faux Noise, or Sun News Channel like you obviously are.)

Speaking of Faux Noise, The Toronto Sun, and Sun News Channel, why the frack don't you turn off both channels, and stop reading the paper? All you're doing is letting yourself be brainwashed and made stupid, as your ignorant comments obviously have shown.
GRAARG / September 7, 2012 at 01:15 pm
I would LOVE a Red Bull Air Race in Toronto. How the hell does Windsor/Detroit have one?

Due to budget cuts we ain't getting the fun planes any more - so combine Red Bull and some CF18 shows, snowbirds, etc.
Spike replying to a comment from GRAARG / September 7, 2012 at 02:00 pm
I thought that Air Races were a relic of the past, or a possible part of the future, as seen in the TV series MetaJets.
Alex replying to a comment from Spike / September 7, 2012 at 02:08 pm
Haha, I've never been called a neocon before(left wing pinko, but never neocon), guess I hit a nerve there, eh? Funny how people who can't think up a valid counter argument resort to name calling. You never addressed my point of you assuming you were the voice of all refugees in speaking out about the air show. You mention one refugee complaining, but one person doesn't speak for everyone. I'm a native born Canadian, does that mean what I think is what every native Canadian thinks? People are individuals dude, they can think for themselves.

Yes, refugees should be grateful, and I imagine the vast majority are. I am incredibly grateful to be born in Canada (especially since I'm a girl and it totally sucks for girls in most of the world). Everyone who lives here should be grateful, it's an awesome country. One of the reasons it is awesome is because people here are generally respectful of each other (internet message boards notwishstanding) and they understand that the entire world should not conform to their wishes. I'm scared of dogs, but do you think I whine and complain about people living with dogs in my building? No, because I'm not a selfish jerk. If someone with a dog goes in the elevator when I want to go in too I just take the stairs instead. Because it is my problem, not their's, so it's my responsibility to deal with it. If you're scared of planes then you should leave Toronto during the airshow, because the majority of Torontonians enjoy it (the Star poll was 80-90% in favour if I'm remembering correctly) and the entire city should not have to inconvenience itself for you.

I'm curious actually, what is Faux Noise? Is that the Quebecor paper in Montreal or something? I just assumed they were all called [city name] Sun.
D replying to a comment from Ratpick / September 8, 2012 at 11:13 am
You wrote:
"I read Spike's comment again, and I am pretty sure you are putting you own spin on it. There's nothing there to suggest what you say."

Spike had written:
"..have any of you people ever thought about the refugees who come from war-torn nations who can't stand the sound a jet makes due to experiences of being on the receiving end of a jet's cannon or bombs?"

I don't know how much clearer you need it to be. I think you're the one putting your own spin on it.

Look, if you like the air show, fine. But let's not kid ourselves that this is about nothing more than admiring the beauty of synchronized flying. Fun for the whole family. In the real world, those planes do a lot of harm that we in the West don't see. We can choose to blind ourselves by accepting the narrative of corporate news media (whether the Sun, Star, Globe, or Post), or we can open our eyes and try to understand what's really going on and whose interests are being served.
Spike replying to a comment from Alex / September 26, 2012 at 10:55 am
Hey dipshit, here's what I mean what I refer to Faux Noise: (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fox_News_Channel)

Oh by the way, if you've never heard of people being threatened by jet fighters or being traumatized by them I suggest you speak to some refugees before you just brush off what they've gone through, okay? As for being what you say you are-I'll believe that when you do show some compassion for somebody who's gone through a war on the receiving end instead of the FYIGM (Fuck You, I Got Mine) attitude.
GZ IS GAY -.- replying to a comment from gz / November 7, 2012 at 12:12 pm
Fuck you lol.
Elizabeth / November 19, 2012 at 10:43 pm
The annual Canadian International Air Show, which happens the last weekend of the CNE, has been a Toronto tradition since the early postwar years.

Although many Torontonians complain about the noise emanating from the planes flying over their neighbourhoods, they still see the air show as a relic of our patriotic past and thus should continue.

It's a pleasure to watch these pilots fly their planes over Exhibition Place and the Toronto's waterfront, and admire and appreciate their unique and amazing skills. One of the planes used in the show, the CF-18 Hornet, is one of Canada's finest fighter jets, and this plane has been used in Canada's participation in foreign wars like the one in Libya.