Wednesday, April 23, 2014Mostly Cloudy 3°C
Sports & Play

The top 10 running clinics in Toronto

Posted by Guest Contributor / May 13, 2012

Running Clinics TorontoRunning clinics in Toronto are here to help. Since running injuries are often difficult to detect and diagnose, it's important to visit sports and medicine clinics that are familiar with injuries associated with running. All of them have the same goal in mind: eliminate pain and get you back on the road feeling stronger than ever. Here's a list of 10 suitable clinics for runners in Toronto.

Pivot Sport Medicine and Orthopaedics
Pivot is located in a bright and beautiful space in the heart of Bloor West Village. The clinic offers a wide range of services in order to nip that injury in the butt without visiting specialists all around town. Specialists there know their clientele and create programs according to their needs and their personality.

No Boundaries
Mirror mirror on the wall, what do I do with this medicine ball? The mirror won't have the answer but it will show you what's wrong with your form and specialists will show you the many strengthening and conditioning exercises needed to improve it. Many running injuries derive from form, which can be fixed by addressing weaknesses in the body.

David L. Mackintosh Sports Med. Clinic
There are three words a runner will hear when they get shin splints, and I say "get" because almost every runner I know has become oh too familiar with this injury. Ice, ice, ice are the magic words. This clinic is located in the Athletic Center of the University of Toronto, so after you've completed an interval workout upstairs on the track, ice baths are waiting for you to jump in.

Physio Excellence
If you're looking for a more natural approach to heal your injury, this clinic offers naturopathic specialists. They say you are what you eat so changing your diet may be the answer. Having naturopathic medicine in the clinic allows clients to not only perform the necessary exercises required to get better, but also make the necessary dietary changes in order to stay healthy and get stronger.

Athletes Care
Athletes Care offers Active Release Techniques, which can make all the difference in the world because it pin points the issue in the tissue. It is especially helpful if you have IT band syndrome, shins splints sciatica, or plantar fasciitis.

Walking Mobility
These feet are made for walking, and that's just what they'll do, if you take care of them that is. Feet are very complex, so if you have pain in your feet, it is important to visit a specialist. Walking Mobility Clinics have various locations, and they all provide the same
services, one of them being customized orthotics and shoe recommendations, so you can kiss that pain goodbye.

Athletic Edge Sport Medicine Clinic
They offer an injured runners clinic, where they start from the bottom and work their way up the body using a computerized gait analysis and finishing off with a running test on the treadmill. Don't forget your running shoes for this appointment.

Physio Plus
Organization leads to realization and in this case Physio Plus does just that by categorizing the common types of injuries by the types of muscles and joints that are affected.

Core RX
Runners especially can endure a range of injuries so having a range of services available will make the treatment a quicker one. Core RX is like a one stop shop, where your athletic injury needs can be treated in one location.

Bloor West Physiotherapy
They have been around for almost 50 years, that's half a century! I think it's really important to be educated while receiving treatment because healing should be a learning experience of what not to do in the future. They want you to leave an appointment where you are able to recognize symptoms and know what to do by providing the exercises or knowledge required to eliminate the pain for good.

Writing by Vicky Siemon. Photo by Maryam S. in the blogTO Flickr pool.

Walk, don't Run / May 13, 2012 at 08:20 am
Ohhhh... you meant athletics/physio clinics. Do any of these clinics listed specialize in runners?
From your title I thought it was a TOP 10 "learn how to run"-type clinic.
And sorry, I missed your criteria and methodology on how you determined that these are the TOP 10 "running" clinics... I'd like to evaluate whether my current physio clinic is up to par??
Mg replying to a comment from Walk, don't Run / May 13, 2012 at 09:55 am
These "top 10", "top 5", "best in Toronto" lists are nothing more than someone's personal favourites. There's never any explanation of the criteria, and never any information about the qualifications of the writer.
They may serve some use by letting us know about facilities that we may not have previously known about. But it's a bit of a stretch to suggest that they're a list of the best in the city.
Jer / May 13, 2012 at 10:41 am
I think it's the nature of the website. BlogTO pays a freelancer 30 bucks to write an article and that person does their own research. It's not the greatest system, but it's what they can afford.
Brian Cauley / May 13, 2012 at 01:36 pm
it's funny how most running injuries are caused simply by running in the traditional "heel-toe" method. to prevent almost all injuries, eliminating the necessity for such clinics, try pose running.
formerly injured / May 13, 2012 at 04:20 pm
Athletes Care absolutely took care of me. I had a really bad IT Band tear, and suffered for a good year afterwards.

I walked into Athletes Care and they knew exactly what was wrong with me and where to fix it. I had apparently even pulled my abductor and didn't even know it because of the pain from the IT band.

Strongly suggest people to go there at least for an assessment.
Alicia / May 13, 2012 at 04:22 pm
Yeah that's odd that you only mention those. I'm a personal trainer an a kinesiologist living in Toronto an I am also an nccp track and field coach. I currently coach independently and at for the York university club.
MrsPotato / May 13, 2012 at 04:29 pm
weird list.

Lyla / May 13, 2012 at 07:02 pm
I too was a little confused. 'Running Clinic' is not the same as 'Sports Medicine Clinic' or 'Rehab.'
I was expecting to see The Runners Shop or The Running Room.
attar / May 13, 2012 at 07:32 pm
GREAT AD!
Josh / May 13, 2012 at 08:59 pm
Another great clinic located in mid-town Toronto for running and sports injuries is The Doctor's Office Therapy Centre.
They have always helped me recover quickly from all running injuries and helped to improve my biomechanics and performance.
They offer chiropractic care, sports chiropractic, physiotherapy, acupuncture, and massage therapy. I think they're the best clinic in the city.

www.doctorsofficetherapy.com
K / May 14, 2012 at 12:16 am
I'm not one to do this typically, but this article is so poorly written. Agree with other commenters that it's confusing to refer to the piece as a list of running clinics when they're covering physio clinics (and which makes it glaringly obvious the writer doesn't have a clue about the topic they're covering). That this article made it past an editor in this state is shocking,
Michael Fil / May 14, 2012 at 10:24 am
Changing the title would clear up some confusion. Those are not "running clinics."
Jule / May 17, 2012 at 12:43 pm
I just dropped into to "Athletic Edge Sport Medicine Clinic" at the Boulevard Club this morning to check it out. The woman at the door told me they service members only -- handed me a card and told me to call in rather than meet them in person. Not really a great recommendation -- this place is not for athletes who are not part of the club.
P / March 18, 2014 at 09:40 am
Nicole and the rest of the group at Mend Physio have been great. Positive and very knowledgeable. They keep up to date with the latest knowledge.