Sunday, December 21, 2014Mostly Cloudy 2°C
Sports & Play

What do you think of the new Toronto Blue Jays logo?

Posted by Derek Flack / November 18, 2011

New Blue Jays Logo TorontoWhat's old is new again when it comes to the updated Toronto Blue Jays logo, which is being unveiled today (but has been leaked all over the place). I'm not much of a baseball fan, but stuff like this does interest me in terms of design. While people will inevitably say that the new logo is basically the same as the one the team originally wore in 1977 (and kept until 1996), there are a few differences worth noting.

The font is different, the colours are darker, and the blue jay itself is more angular. One might ask what's the point of crafting something so close the original — why not just revert to the vintage version altogether? — but for my money the subtle changes do help to keep it from looking too dated. That light blue sends me on a nostalgia trip to the 1980s when I was forced to go down to Exhibition Stadium with my Boy Scouts crew. Yuck.

What do you think of the update? Oh, and here's the origina logo, for the record.

Old Blue Jays LogoUpdate (12:15pm):

Apparently not everyone's a fan. As per the first comment below, here's a rather thoroughgoing critique of the new logo, right down to the stitching on the ball. Thoughts on this critique?
Blue Jays Logo

Frank / November 18, 2011 at 12:02 pm
Brutal. It's like all these Hollywood movies. Does no one have an original idea any more?
Radha Singh / November 18, 2011 at 12:04 pm
Love it!
Dave / November 18, 2011 at 12:05 pm
love
EveryonesOpinion / November 18, 2011 at 12:08 pm
I like it but why is TORONTO in a different font style than BLUE JAYS ?
Hamish Grant / November 18, 2011 at 12:08 pm
god why did they put "Toronto" in a different font than "Blue Jays"? I love the graphic but the designer should be shot for the type.
horrible / November 18, 2011 at 12:11 pm
horrible type
horrible two types of type
horrible blue rings
horrible everything
gr1 / November 18, 2011 at 12:13 pm
does anyone else hate birds?
Spadina / November 18, 2011 at 12:17 pm
The logo is nice - I'm glad they ditched the "angry bird" look of the past few years and went back to the classic, while just tightening it up a little.

The type is dreadful, however.
dee / November 18, 2011 at 12:25 pm
I love it!! The "angry jay" was so awful: cartoony, overly-macho, "edgy" for no purpose, just wrong. This new one is great, it looks like a jay but stylized, modern and very appealing. MUCH better! I would happily seek out Jays merchandise with this new logo (which I would NEVER have done with the old "angry" jay!)
HubbaBubba / November 18, 2011 at 12:27 pm
Toronto has a baseball team?
Adam / November 18, 2011 at 12:34 pm
Okay, so they went back to the old logo (for the most part). How long until they feel the need to change it up again? Either way, a Jays game is the most boring sporting event to watch in Toronto.
j / November 18, 2011 at 12:34 pm

Thanks for that critique. now all i'm going to see are these flaws. </no sarcasm>
Sally / November 18, 2011 at 12:35 pm
I don't care what anyone says... This is personally, the best news of my day.
TwoScoops / November 18, 2011 at 12:35 pm
Seems like the person with the thorough critique would prefer if they just went back to the 1977-1996 logo.

Personally, I like it - but I do agree that the fonts should all match.
Jeffrey Beaumont / November 18, 2011 at 12:36 pm
blogTO, credit where credit is due:
JoeParez / November 18, 2011 at 12:36 pm
Well I like it! I like the fact that they're bringing the BLUE back in the Blue Jays. The angry bid/black scheme was a lame attempt to look cool.

Simon / November 18, 2011 at 12:37 pm
Looks great! A take on the traditional logo but sharpened up to look new and modern. Just enough change to create a great new logo while still showing respect to the old one. Also a big fan of the road jerseys saying TORONTO.

Can't wait till baseball season!
Veronica / November 18, 2011 at 12:47 pm
Many of that user's comments are subjective.
Leaf too big? Lines should merge? Highlight should be round?

I adore this logo, think it's a brillian throwback to the history of the Jays. I've been waiting for them to ditch the all blue/grey angry bird look forever.
Veronica / November 18, 2011 at 12:47 pm
That user's comments compare the new logo to the old. It's called an update, they weren't aiming to make it exactly the same. Quit nitpicking.
becca / November 18, 2011 at 12:47 pm
not a fan of the 2 different fonts -- I really hate the serifs on the Blue Jays font.
Other than that, I like it.
I think the person who critiqued it just wants the original logo.
Rob replying to a comment from becca / November 18, 2011 at 12:59 pm
Hi I'm the guy who did the logo critique. I wasn't trying to make the critique seem like I wanted it to look like the original logo, but through the eyes of a graphic designer who takes his time to perfect everything, there are clear flaws in how it was executed. The mathematics of the logo are just wrong. I can tell they eyeballed this thing and the designer who did it doesn't know how to use Adobe Illustrator well and didn't use any rules from the golden ratio. Sorry for getting all nerdy with this but it's important to me.
Jake replying to a comment from Veronica / November 18, 2011 at 01:00 pm
I agree, the critique is all personal opinion. I think the logo is great.

It's a logo they can do whatever they want, if they want an eye to look like that why not. It does not have to be round because all eyes should be round. The leaf is big because they are emphasizing Canada and I don't think its too big. I don't feel like writing more on the silly points of that critique.

Lets go Blue Jays!
bob / November 18, 2011 at 01:10 pm
Jays change their uni and logo every few years to maximize merchandise revenue because they have a lot of trouble getting fans in the seats. When the Jays were winning in the 80's and early 90's, not one logo change. In the last 15 years, there's been 4 major changes.
Veronica replying to a comment from Rob / November 18, 2011 at 01:16 pm
I'm a designer too. I'm not saying all of your points are invalid, but some of them weren't necessary.

Mr. Seaton Village / November 18, 2011 at 01:20 pm
Hey type-dummies, that's actually the same typeface for both ‘Toronto’ and ‘Blue Jays‘ (treated with a line through it). This logo is an improvement over the last one despite some of it's shortcomings in execution. Easy to blame the single designer working in a void, but this is the type of project that is unfortunately done by committee.
Rob replying to a comment from Veronica / November 18, 2011 at 01:21 pm
Cool, I could talk about this all day, let's get the discussion going, tell me about it.
Rob replying to a comment from Veronica / November 18, 2011 at 01:25 pm
Greg / November 18, 2011 at 01:26 pm
Amazing rebrand. The logo and uniforms look great.
Veronica replying to a comment from Rob / November 18, 2011 at 01:43 pm
I guess it could be argued that the level of simplification of a literal blue jay is quite subjective as well?
DS / November 18, 2011 at 01:49 pm
Why does the bird have to look like a map of India?

Is this a reflection of the Toronto population? Is that what they were going for with that?
Addie / November 18, 2011 at 01:55 pm
'Toronto' being in a different font makes sense - it's the city name, which isn't always considered part of the team name. That critique is legitimate if you're comparing to the old one, but as a new logo, I think it's a great modernized throwback. Not sure whether people dislike it because it's too much like the old one, or because it's not enough.
Alex / November 18, 2011 at 02:35 pm
I like everything about it except that the 'Toronto' at the top is different from the 'Blue Jays' at the bottom. I can see why they did that though, if they had made the top the same size and font then it would have been too big and there wouldn't have been enough spacing between the Jay's head and the word.

I think it is really good, it's very sleek. I don't really watch the Jays though, I didn't know it was possible to sit through an entire baseball game sober. Baseball is the only sport that is as boring to play as it is to watch. When I was a kid everyone just sat in the field picking grass until it was their turn to play batter, pitcher, or catcher.
sezme replying to a comment from Rob / November 18, 2011 at 02:36 pm
Your justification for your critique (not following the golden rule) is hilarious! Every single point you made except for one were actually criticisms of why the new logo should have been drawn like the old one. They're all terribly subjective, so for you to say that "font is too sharp", "leaf is too big", or "ball outline should have merged with leaf stem" is in some way connected to the golden rule or the designer's lack of facility in Adobe Illustrator is just laughable. You obviously really liked the 1977 version. Great, I get it. But if that's your point, make it that way. Don't try to dress up your argument in fancy but ill-fitting clothes.
JDHalperin / November 18, 2011 at 02:43 pm
It's awesome! Come on. Suddenly everyone's a design major, splitting hairs between lines and curves that are too think or sharp? It's our sweet old bird with a Canadian flag, now let's make playoffs already and show off our new bird, who looks a lot like the old bird, who was cool, so that's cool.
Keith / November 18, 2011 at 02:56 pm
While I don't agree with all of the points made in the critique image above, I agree that it seems like it was done without attention to certain details. Say all you want about it being personal opinion (because to a certain extent of course it is) but certain parts of the design are very poorly executed. To go with some things that the critique pointed out - the points on the right side of the top part of the head are very sloppily placed, they don't follow any apparent rhythm at all. The point near the front of the top of the head is a bad curve, it was eyeballed, and not extremely well. The type is atrocious but the type on the old one wasn't perfect either. In fact, the old one had plenty wrong with it as well. I actually like the ball stitching and maple leaf on the new version (having the stem connect on the old one looked awkward and didn't properly create the illusion that the ball was complete) and I'm a fan of the more angular bird.

All in all though what really matters is that this thing is a billion times nicer than the most recent logo. Yikes.
Kris replying to a comment from Rob / November 18, 2011 at 02:56 pm
This 'critique' is total death by over-analysis. Just because it's not done the way you would do it, doesn't make it 'wrong'. Clearly, in your mind, "What's wrong with this logo?" is YOU didn't do it.
Jonathan / November 18, 2011 at 03:11 pm
Veronica, if you are a designer I'm sure you've gotten revisions before. Revisions are based on an art directors expertise. Subjective? Well, depends on if you trust this persons experience/eye. I agree with the points Rob made.
Sezme, you're very passionate in defending this work and I'm happy you like it. The fact is, there are some very amateur mistakes in it's execution. If you work in illustrator everyday I'm sure you notice them, how much it bothers you is another question.
Sam I Am / November 18, 2011 at 03:15 pm
How do some of you get out of bed to face your fellow people? Some of the most insufferably dismal, cynical and downright depressing posters. Is there ANYTHING that would make those of you happy??
JP / November 18, 2011 at 03:24 pm
Love it! The black/graphite uniforms were terrible. These are legitimately great. Nice job.
JP / November 18, 2011 at 03:26 pm
"One of the most important flaws to me is the fact that it's just a bad rendering of an actual blue jay bird, If you google a blue jay you'll see what I mean. A blue jay has a more pronounced crest, the designer flattened out the top of the head. The beak is also too short in the new logo."

Jesus Christ. You realize this is the logo of a sports team right?

Do you dislike the Red Sox logo because the dimensions of the socks aren't accurate?
Rob replying to a comment from sezme / November 18, 2011 at 03:31 pm
Hey Man, I was honestly trying to do an unbiased critique from a design perspective. of course there's some personal opinion but I stand by it. Not sure why you think some of my points like "not following the golden rule is hilarious", It's a standard for building art through math.( When the apple logo was designed they spared no expense.) Anyways, the new logo is what it is, I'm glad I could make some conversation happen.

Derek replying to a comment from Rob / November 18, 2011 at 03:38 pm
I thought your perspective was quite interesting, and I'm glad that it provoked a response. There are some good points you make there.
Jeffrey Beaumont / November 18, 2011 at 03:40 pm
Follow up from the guy who did the notes on the logo:

westsideto / November 18, 2011 at 04:00 pm
please, more blogto articles about alpha males and spoiled millionaires.
yt replying to a comment from westsideto / November 18, 2011 at 04:18 pm
um...isn't that all that hipsters are, in the end?
TWT replying to a comment from Rob / November 18, 2011 at 05:03 pm
using the golden rule is one way of designing - not the only way. that's why you're being attacked for it - acting like you're "supposed" to use it instead of realizing that everyone's strategy and parameters for design are different.
JP / November 18, 2011 at 05:23 pm
*eyeroll* @ westsideto
BobDigi08 replying to a comment from bob / November 18, 2011 at 06:36 pm
Actually, merch revenue is spread between all teams, so the argument that the Jays do this just to make more $$$ doesn't make sense.
wer replying to a comment from eyeamtheo / November 18, 2011 at 07:01 pm
You know these 'rules' are just an invention of graphic dictators
AP replying to a comment from Rob / November 18, 2011 at 07:09 pm
Hey Rob, you know what would be cool -- if you took the new logo and made all the changes that you say make this a problematic logo. I'd like to see what you come up with.
Pinky / November 18, 2011 at 11:14 pm
Interesting how almost all the points regarding "What's wrong with this logo?" could not have been made without a comparison to the original. If it was looked at as something new and not a revision, there would be few to no "wrongs with this logo."
J*town / November 18, 2011 at 11:17 pm
They should bring back the old mascot as well.
sezme replying to a comment from AP / November 18, 2011 at 11:33 pm
"I'd like to see what you'd come up with." Just read his critiques: he'd obviously come up with the 1977 logo. In fact there's no way he could have made all these particular critiques without having seen the old logo. Golden rule indeed!
Gravy Train replying to a comment from Derek / November 19, 2011 at 12:07 am
I love this logo, why all the hate? This is a sleek updated version of the original logo. Why did no one complain about the piece of turd logo we had before? The Black Jays.
Justin / November 19, 2011 at 08:19 am
not a huge fan...never liked the original to begin with
Stra / November 19, 2011 at 09:37 am
Derek - did you really have to mention that you're not a baseball fan in your blog post? Full of yourself much?

Love the logo. Spiky serifs are hot! As for the critique, there is no such thing as "bad vectoring". As soon as I read that, I dismissed the entire criticism.
Phil / November 19, 2011 at 09:40 am
I too am a graphic designer, and whilst I too can look at it and say "I might have done a few things a little differently" I am really, really pleased with the new logo. I personally love the typography I think the subtle serifs work really nicely (they look fantastic on the jerseys).

Whilst the logo of the past is a classic and holds great sentimental value for all, certain elements look very dated (especially the typography) and we're in need of an refresh.

I think the MLB design team did a great job all things considered and judging by the response of the fanbase the vast majority do too. I'm heading out to buy a cap today!

My only criticism is I would have loved to have seen a white fronted cap as it's just such a classic.
Darcy McGee replying to a comment from eyeamtheo / November 19, 2011 at 10:16 am
Of corse, that's all subjective and a matter of opinion at the end of the day. I agree with some of your points but not others. That doesn't make either of us correct.
Frank Booth / November 19, 2011 at 01:13 pm
Rob has made the changes to his original notes.
Lauren / November 19, 2011 at 01:38 pm
I really like the new logo (and the update from the older one, including the more angular bird) - but my one issue (as others have pointed out) is that there are two type styles used for "Toronto" and "Blue Jays". Ick. I would have prefered them both double lines, or both single (not a mix). Other than that, it's a sleek update and I can't wait to get a new Jay's hat with it :)
Joey replying to a comment from Frank Booth / November 19, 2011 at 02:29 pm
Wow. Now THAT is what the new logo should look like. Seeing Rob's suggestions implemented proves that he was right.

Excellent work Rob!
Paul / November 20, 2011 at 01:10 pm
I'll get used to it, but I do find parts of the design to be awkward. I don't like the 'angry' face, and the shape of the bottom creates a backward motion. The adjustments I made, to me, make it more aesthetically pleasing: http://bit.ly/u90wL3
josh replying to a comment from HubbaBubba / November 20, 2011 at 01:43 pm
Get a life.
Mike replying to a comment from Joey / November 20, 2011 at 02:33 pm
Clearly, Rob is right because you share his subjective opinion. Case closed.
Cassandra / November 20, 2011 at 05:03 pm
I think it's hella nicer than that horrid blob that was on last year's logo. I think it's cool they are bringing retro back. But I do agree with previous posts that the different font type breaks the continuity but overall, A !!!!!
Amy / November 20, 2011 at 09:53 pm
I like it, i think anyone who doesn't is being overly critical.
tonka / November 21, 2011 at 04:02 am
the diagram isn't really saying what is wrong with it, it literally just points and states how each part doesn't look like the original.
elijah / July 16, 2014 at 11:02 am
another example of how "technical snobbery" doesn't matter in the real world.
clara / September 22, 2014 at 06:36 am
Moi je l'adore!!!
Steven / November 25, 2014 at 10:40 pm
One more thing that was missed: the outline of the ball should come closer to the head of the blue jay; perhaps even touching it? There is too much of a separation. The original (1977) Jays logo did a better job in this regard. Perhaps even the stitching on the ball should also come in contact with the head? Additionally, the hair on the top of the jay's head should be turquoise. The portion closest to the beak should be navy blue. I think that about nails all the issues with the modern logo; besides from the ugly font. I would suggest removing the maple leaf altogether. Do we really need to continue showing our insecurity? Perhaps in 1977, when Toronto was still a relatively obscure city, this made more sense. We're now a major global city, and larger than the majority of the MLB club cities to the south. Everyone knows we're Canadian; there's no need to constantly bring this up. I don't mind the maple leaf in the official logo as much, but the logo that is on the team's hats, helmets and jerseys (without the ball) would look better with just the jay head on its own, in my opinion.