Monday, November 24, 2014Mostly Cloudy/Windy 17°C
Sports & Play

Does new Toronto bowling alley live up to the hype?

Posted by Luke Champion / January 19, 2011

Ballroom Bowling TorontoWhen we broke the news back in November that Toronto was finally getting a downtown bowling alley, most of us couldn't contain our excitement.

The Ballroom quietly opened its doors to the public on Christmas Eve and from a purely aesthetic perspective, is a complete success. The team behind the project has managed to wedge a boutique bowling alley underneath a mammoth sports bar, wrap the whole thing in a gastro-pub sheen and actually make it kind of work.

Ballroom Bowling TorontoBallroom Bowling TorontoEven without an official launch - due early February - the nine available lanes have been booked pretty solid since day one and depending on when you arrive, expect between a half an hour, to a two and a half hour wait for a lane. Of course, the brilliance is that you'll spend that wait time upstairs in the bar alongside Ping-Pong, foosball, pool tables and a handful of arcades. And if that's not your thing, there are plenty of video screens to ensure that your line of sight never be interrupted.

Ballroom Bowling TorontoThe venue is part of the new Entertainment District, a multi use neighbourhood that is less aggressively clubby and equally inviting at all hours of the day. For the most part, the concept works. Sure it's not going to be for everyone, for one thing it's a bit pricey, which is to be expected, this is the Entertainment District after all--you don't go bargain hunting in Times Square.

Ballroom Bowling TorontoThat being said, an hour of bowling on a Saturday night clocks in at close to $70, but daytime hours are half that. So depending on the number of people playing (maximum eight per lane) it can be reasonable.

Ballroom Bowling TorontoThe menu is a mix of polished lowbrow cuisine including house made corndogs ($9 for five, $17 for 10) and southern fried chicken ($13 for three pieces); and more sophisticated items like an organic quinoa salad ($10-$16) and grilled white tuna ($18).

Ballroom Bowling TorontoThe lanes themselves have that new car shine and to be honest, after a few hurls of the bowling ball, the price tag becomes easier to swallow. Growing up with mostly five pin lanes available, it's a treat to be able live out a lifetimes worth of Fred Flintstone, Al Bundy, Big Lebowski fantasies. I spent my first few frames trying not to launch the ball directly into the hardwood, but once I found my rhythm it was easy to get hooked.

Once the hype dies down a bit it would be nice to see some weeknight leagues spring up, but it's a bit early for that still.

Ballroom Bowling TorontoPhotos by Dennis Marciniak

skeeter / January 19, 2011 at 12:50 pm
here's an idea: get off your butt and go to a real bowling alley. it'll give some downtowners an excuse to leave the downtown core for the first time in their life.
JAMB / January 19, 2011 at 01:03 pm
I didnt think it was possible to find a negative in this post .. well done Skeeter. I couldnt agree with you more. Everyone get in your car, use gas emissions, drive north for 1 hour, just for the sake of leaving downtown.
Somebody should clip Skeet Skeeter's wings.
Lucas Samuels / January 19, 2011 at 01:05 pm
The Ballroom is certainly a neat concept, albeit far from original. In 2009, Brooklyn Bowl opened in Williamsburg. The Ballroom has drawn its inspiration from Brooklyn Bowl, right down to the menu design. Brooklyn Bowl has been wildly successful because it contains one element The Ballroom doesn't have. Brooklyn Bowl is also NYC best new live music venue. It's impeccably designed for both fans and performers (not to mention it's L.E.E.D. certified). Will The Ballroom survive without live music? It's possible, but it certainly would be more enticing with that aspect mixed in. Just my two cents.
Luke replying to a comment from Lucas Samuels / January 19, 2011 at 01:17 pm
Actually, The Ballroom does have plans to bring in live music in the near future. But at the same time, I think The Ballroom is aimed at a slightly different audience, it's at Richmond and John. I think the idea that this place is being catered towards hipsters is totally off base. I think they're looking to the condo crowd in the area and the 905ers who flood in on the weekend.
Natali / January 19, 2011 at 01:19 pm
I'm personally excited to have something like this. I mean, I live in Markham, and as a suburbanite, sometimes it's nice to go downtown and not be relegated to go to either a movie, a club or a dive bar. I'm a fan of anything that involves drinking and light physcial activity, particularly when it involves competition, and the only boutique-type bowling in surrounding areas is Lucky strike in Vaughan and it loses its appeal because it is all the way out in Vaughan.
zoee replying to a comment from Lucas Samuels / January 19, 2011 at 01:19 pm
good point!
although im pretty sure they're working on getting in live bands? ...
EastEnder / January 19, 2011 at 01:19 pm
Danforth Bowl 4 life!
steve-o / January 19, 2011 at 01:29 pm
Um yeah, checked this place out last weekend.

The wait for a lane was crazy, and the food - overpriced.
Don't go on a Saturday night whatever you do.

I think for the real bowling experience leaving downtown is the way to go. C'mon, Bathurst & Glencairn isn't that far to travel...
lauren / January 19, 2011 at 01:32 pm
as someone who's been twice already i have to say - we had an amazing time (and im not the bowling alley type). the music they played the first time was old hip hop and classic r&b, second time it was everything from jon seger to guns n roses to oasis. so much fun. and every single lane looked to be having a blast. truly the only drawback is the wait time (which we didnt have... yet) and the price (but my brother paid, score!)
Parma Court Reppin replying to a comment from EastEnder / January 19, 2011 at 01:33 pm
O'Connor Bowl holla atcha.
905ers replying to a comment from JAMB / January 19, 2011 at 01:39 pm
Ha,
whats most funny skeeter and JAMB is that the entertainment district is mostly visited by 905ers and suburbanites dieing for a little downtown experience. this bowling alley will make those 905er feel right at home, I bet you they'll all be sitting in their cars driving 1 hours to come to this bowling alley instead of going to there local suburban one. ha
Shannon / January 19, 2011 at 01:48 pm
Breakfast T.V. had the live eye here this morning and it doesn't look like it has that many lanes. Actually with it being downtown it's gonna be constantly packed and getting a lane will take forever. But overall i like the look of the place.
Luke replying to a comment from Shannon / January 19, 2011 at 01:52 pm
There are nine lanes, hence the possible 2 hour plus wait times on weekends. The place is open from 11am-2am everyday though, so if you go on off peak hours you'll have an easier time.
lister / January 19, 2011 at 01:58 pm
What's on tap?
Drew / January 19, 2011 at 01:59 pm
With only 9 lanes the wait will always be crazy. There is a middle ground between a rundown bowling alley under a strip mall and something trying to be high end and thus overly expensive for a decent amount of bowling time.
I recall a few modern locations being constructed when I lived in the UK that were similar to the Scotiabank Theatre in being a large downtown multiplex but were tied with a bowling centre more like 30 lanes in size (3 stories with 10 per level so not as large a footprint) and a bar/pool room with a dozen full sized tables you could rent by the hour and reasonable but not excessive food so you could catch a movie and/or bowl, or play pool or just hang out and have a drink/food etc. pre or post doing something else and being downtown you didn't have to drive out to a suburban complex but everything was sufficiently modern to be enjoyable but not to the point where it outpriced itsself.
then you do deals in the week on afternoons when it is quiet for unlimited bolwing for $X between say 2pm and 5pm and it fills up with university students and so forth.
AV replying to a comment from lister / January 19, 2011 at 01:59 pm
Totally a guess, but lets go with PBR.

Mike W replying to a comment from JAMB / January 19, 2011 at 02:00 pm
Seriously? The subways run outside downtown, you know.
Jan-Ove Waldner / January 19, 2011 at 02:01 pm
those ping pong tables are way too close to each other.
Ryan L. replying to a comment from Lucas Samuels / January 19, 2011 at 02:08 pm
Not everyone cares that strongly about live music. Frankly, the majority of the time I'd rather go someplace else and not have to pay the extra cover that often comes with a live band.

The other big question is does having a live band translate into increased profits/success? You'd think that if you have more people inside that translates into more drink sales. But you have to take into account that someone watching a band may not drink as much or at all.

If you can fill the place without a live band then you're best investing your money elsewhere.
lister replying to a comment from AV / January 19, 2011 at 02:10 pm
PBR is probably in bottles. Not much point serving it draft in a generic glass. Gotta be seen drinking PBR. *barf*

I may take a walk over to find out since it's nearby. No actual bowling there until the prices come down out of the stratosphere.
qwerty replying to a comment from Jan-Ove Waldner / January 19, 2011 at 02:17 pm
Those kegs aren't close enough!!!
Mad Money / January 19, 2011 at 02:36 pm
For $70/hour I better get to keep my ball.
Teena / January 19, 2011 at 02:38 pm
We stopped in for a beer a couple days after it opened. Fun lively place!

BTW, before 5pm, it's $50/hour/lane not $35 (half of $70).

They have Steam Whistle on tap ($8/pint) ... yum!
AV / January 19, 2011 at 02:41 pm
70$ a lane at prime times and 8$ a pint for Steam Whistle? I think you NEED to live in the 905 to afford a night out at this place.
Lucas replying to a comment from Ryan L. / January 19, 2011 at 02:53 pm
I largely brought up the point about Brooklyn Bowl and the inclusion of live music because that's what makes the idea so unique. The state-of-the-art bowling alley is not a new idea. Mixing it with an unbelievable live music experience is the unique part. If The Ballroom was going to copy Brooklyn Bowl pretty much to a T (comfort food, booze, overall aesthetic design), I'm just curious as to why they didn't include the most important part of the formula which is the live music aspect. I hope The Ballroom has done enough to draw in crowds over a long period of time. It looks like a cool place which I hope to visit in the near future!
leeper replying to a comment from skeeter / January 19, 2011 at 03:00 pm
Shut up Rob Ford. Get back to work.
Forest Gump / January 19, 2011 at 03:27 pm
Need a bigger room for those ping pong tables.
Will the club pay for my paddle when i wind up with my massive backhand and peg the wall ?
John replying to a comment from skeeter / January 19, 2011 at 03:32 pm
Why on earth would we want to do that?
Jason / January 19, 2011 at 03:36 pm
I still like Playtime off of Dufferin I always have fun when I go
John / January 19, 2011 at 03:38 pm
OOOh, i just looked at their website. They have UFC fighting payperview coming up. LOOKS GREAT! And by great I mean like douchey.

Too bad. I like bowling.
Dave replying to a comment from John / January 19, 2011 at 03:43 pm
Agreed.
Steve / January 19, 2011 at 04:05 pm
The prices are ridiculous.

Matt / January 19, 2011 at 04:11 pm
"A boutique bowling alley wrapped in a gastro-pub," you say?

Sounds like a place to avoid. Why can't we just have a real bowlign alley with decent food and bevvies at decent prices? Why must everything be "boutique?"

The trendy-chic-foodie things has its place, and I enjoy it sometimes, but it's taking over everything.
Matt / January 19, 2011 at 04:12 pm
Also, $8 a pint for Steamwhistle! Get out of town. Please.
King replying to a comment from 905ers / January 19, 2011 at 04:13 pm
yea and we'll be going home after to basque in our square footage homes and you'll be sitting in your over priced box thinkin about how trendy u are.
Puke / January 19, 2011 at 04:14 pm
Barf.
Matt replying to a comment from King / January 19, 2011 at 04:28 pm
It is really hilarious that both you and "905ers" can barely make yourselves understood in the English language. (Basque is a place in Spain, "bask" is what you do in your "square footage" home.)
John / January 19, 2011 at 04:33 pm
Still looks like Montana to me.
whoa.... / January 19, 2011 at 04:40 pm
To Skeeter: WHY would we want to go to the suburbs for any reason other than necessity (work or visiting friends/ family)? We live down here because we LIKE to be close to the action. We like walking or taking public transit to where we need to go. Sure, if there is something not available "downtown" as you say, we could go to the 'burbs to visit it, but have you ever attempted taking public transit to Vaughan? It's very complicated and a very long trip. Most people don't love bowling enough to validate that kind of trip. It's not that we're snobs, it's just that for us, it's a different way of life. That's why we live down here and you live up there. Good bye.
kate / January 19, 2011 at 04:42 pm
The bar above the bowling alley is loads of fun. Haven't bowled yet, but plan to soon. Great to have this within walking distance from home.
Steve replying to a comment from skeeter / January 19, 2011 at 04:49 pm
I agree with Skeeter. What good is a bowling alley if it only has 9 lanes? Who wants to sit and wait up to two hours just to bowl? If there's such a demand for bowling downtown, it would have made sense to build a larger facility. Thorncliffe Bowlerama has 58 lanes, is less expensive and is always full of people whenever I go. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-3Kip86938
Chris / January 19, 2011 at 04:49 pm
"this is the Entertainment District after all--you don't go bargain hunting in Times Square." And you don't compare the corner of John and Richmond to Times Square either.

Mike W replying to a comment from Matt / January 19, 2011 at 04:52 pm
Oh shit, minor grammatical error! Your whole post is rendered invalid, please resubmit.
cultureshot / January 19, 2011 at 04:56 pm
I love how this turned into a 905 vs. 416 argument. It's a bowling alley people. Go or don't.
matt / January 19, 2011 at 04:59 pm
Grammatical errors that border on rendering the post indecipherable, you mean. I thought it was funny that the anti-suburb guy and the anti-downtown guy were arguing equally stupidly.
Richard replying to a comment from matt / January 19, 2011 at 05:15 pm

"arguing equally stupidly".... you mean "arguing stupidly, equally" or "both argued equally: stupidly"? Either way, your diction is horrible.

Glass houses, stones, etc.

DF / January 19, 2011 at 05:28 pm
I haven't been, but I think its a great idea. Hats off to the guys that got this project going.

The concept sounds perfect for that comment above re drinking + light activity = fun.

The place in Brooklyn must be pretty cool - the fact that their idea (if its origin is even from there) is repeated here is flattering for the Brooklyn place, and they should come visit the Ballroom.

I will definitely go, and I will bring friends in order to: keep the cost down, the fun level high, and the experience positive. If the bowling sucks, I'll drink the Steamwhistle, or whatever's cold.

I love my overpriced box. Quality over quantity.
Morga / January 19, 2011 at 05:34 pm
Man there are some real A holes that read BLOG TO. How in the hell did this turn into 416 vs 905? Its so sickening.
Chris / January 19, 2011 at 05:36 pm
One of the diffrences between Brooklyn Bowl and The Ballroom is that Brooklyn Bowl is in Brooklyn where cool people hang out, as The Ballroom is a place where Jersey Shore cast off's want hang out and pay 70$ to go bowling.
King replying to a comment from Mike W / January 19, 2011 at 05:38 pm
haha, that's all he's got or should i say has? oh no which one is grammatically correct? Dam 905 language, we're just ropes on the Good Year blimp to the 416
Matt replying to a comment from Richard / January 19, 2011 at 06:07 pm
Actually, both of your suggested alternatives are nonsensical. Better would be "both argued in an equally stupid fashion."
Shirls replying to a comment from zoee / January 19, 2011 at 08:00 pm
They are definitely getting in live bands. Going to be a regular thing at The Ballroom I'm told.
FUNK / January 19, 2011 at 08:39 pm
This place is second to NONE. If I die and go to heaven, I hope it resembles this place. Great food, social atmosphere, and full of interactive fun; A sports headquarters with a VIP Club vibe; there are few places that could hope to rise above this when describing "man heaven".

Thank you for finally marrying youthful fun with adult environment.

Danielle replying to a comment from skeeter / January 19, 2011 at 08:54 pm
Most of the people attending the bars and clubs in that area are the targets for the Ballroom, so that would be primarily the outer suburban customers. I don't expect it will be a hit with any downtowners, except maybe business-type gatherings.
Kevin Bracken replying to a comment from Luke / January 19, 2011 at 09:04 pm
The crowd at Brooklyn Bowl is definitely the same crowd I can see coming to this place. I don't know if you got the memo: even the hipsters have been priced out of Williamsburg.
seanm / January 20, 2011 at 12:06 am
Too expensive for what it is. Hopefully they re-think their model, and adjust the prices so they're more in line with other bowling facilities. For comparison, $70/hour per lane is about triple the cost of the average GTA bowling place from my experience. $8 dollars for a pint of beer produced a couple blocks away is ludicrous as well; I can find Steamwhistle for <$15 a pitcher around the city no problem.

Anyway, it's clearly because of the area, and they're definitely capitalizing on the hordes with money to burn who frequent the district. I just don't think they'll be able to keep the place full at that price, once the initial interest dies down.
Luke replying to a comment from lister / January 20, 2011 at 03:03 am
No one things PBR is cool, people drink it because its cheap, FYI
Endless LOL / January 20, 2011 at 03:47 am
Wow. Booked solid? I doubt it. These prices are one of the biggest jokes of the year so far. The only bigger joke is that tiresome hipsters and 905ers eat it up as long as this $4-game is shrink-wrapped in aesthetic marketing with the added privilege of waiting 10x as long as a standard alley as boredom encourages you to blow premium prices on domestic beers.
Endless LOL replying to a comment from Fake Josh Reynolds / January 20, 2011 at 04:00 am
*whew* for a second there, I was afraid they were charging far beyond the evening's worth. :) seriously, I hope their patrons have gardens so I can sell them my own home-made organic 'fertilizer' for $20 a pound.
AV / January 20, 2011 at 08:31 am
Ballroom... the "Circa" of 2011. Starts off high like a NYC Club kid, comes crashing down like a raver pushed out of the venue and into the sunlight @ 7am.
Tricia / January 20, 2011 at 09:11 am
A bowling alley...unfortunately I don't know how to play bowling. But I am looking forward to learn how to play this.There are some deals in Toronto that gives you big discount on how to play bowling.
Vanessa / January 20, 2011 at 10:55 am
I WAS going to go with my boyfriend last weekend and then I saw the prices. Absolutely ridiculous for two people. I would NEVER spend that much to bowl. I will be going to a different alley this weekend. Although I do want to try fried pickles sometime hahaha.
Moi / January 20, 2011 at 11:22 am
BARF on the price.
Big screens at the end of the lanes......CrashVegas for sure!
Ping-Pong table room looks lame
Long waits.......zzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Hopefully bands upstairs would be cool :)

Good luck to them, but I won't be going.
Leighton / January 20, 2011 at 12:14 pm
What drives me crazy is how judgemental some folks are towards a place that they purely speculate on. I'm a 38 year old trader and I've been to this place 3 or 4 times now and have had a blast. The food was excellent, service a bit slow, music was awesome. Its a fantastic melting pot of all sorts of people and definitely not a single "type" of crowd. Saturday night prices are expected, but if you want to save, go during the week when its $35 /hour before 6pm. Keep drinking the hateraid people.
John / January 20, 2011 at 12:17 pm
yeah, nice idea and i live close by, but $70 for 2 people to bowl for an hour is just nuts.
TheRealJohnson / January 20, 2011 at 12:42 pm
This article is great, but I wish someone would offer their personal opinion about it and its prices in the comment section. Also, does anyone know if the downtown core is a better place to live than the suburbs?
Hilary / January 20, 2011 at 01:00 pm
actually the "deal" is really relative...for $75 per 8 ppl for an hour, you almost can't finish a game in time (even with speedy players). meaning your game ends mid-game (quite a downer) - then kinda forcing you to pay for another hour to finish up. Any less than 8 players, it gets pricey, so either way...it's overly expensive...

my suggestion to management if they don't want to lower costs - at least offer a happy hour special to offset this with special drinks/food...or...I dunno, but balance the expensive cost with something else...
Ryan L. replying to a comment from Lucas / January 20, 2011 at 03:03 pm
"I'm just curious as to why they didn't include the most important part of the formula [in my opinion]"
nahbro replying to a comment from Chris / January 20, 2011 at 03:54 pm
why not... they both suck

this place looked super fun and i was gonna go with friends for my birthday because i like bowling and ping pong and beer. but loooool at the prices. i hate that section of the city, and i know why it's expensive, but they can shove it. it's not even that i couldn't pay if i wanted to but at $8 for a pint of beer from down the street and $70 to not finish a game... haha
Steve / January 20, 2011 at 04:37 pm
Like I mentioned above, you're better off going to Thorncliffe Bowlerama. It has 58 lanes, costs roughly 1/3 by comparison, has all the same entertainment, good food, drinks and is much more spacious. Waiting time is basically non existent as well. If you live downtown and have a car, it's only a 5 minute drive up the DVP. I'd even recommend O'Connor Bowl. It has a great retro atmosphere.
mary replying to a comment from Leighton / January 20, 2011 at 05:15 pm
Leighton, what is the relevance of you being a trader? I'm genuinely baffled. You may as well have said "I'm leighton, i'm 38, enjoy walks on the beach, and like spicy food and i think this place is great!"
Still / January 20, 2011 at 08:37 pm
Still too much. Still over-rated. Piss off Ballroom!
and boo on your prices......assholes!
Luke replying to a comment from Hilary / January 21, 2011 at 12:25 am
Hilary, they actually charge by the half hour, so you don't have to pay for an extra full hour if your game ends midway through. And as I mentioned in the article, the $70 price tag is only Friday and Saturday nights, it's cheaper at other times.
Crom is ur god / January 21, 2011 at 01:36 am
Place is a good idea, but it is overpriced for bowling and food, a glorified cash grab for the owners.
Two Cents replying to a comment from Natali / January 21, 2011 at 12:12 pm
You are clearly not from Toronto considering you think there's nothing to do but "go to either a movie, a club or a dive bar." And let me guess, Markham is a swinging metropolis with tons to do? Keep you snark and your ignorance in Markham.
Leighton replying to a comment from mary / January 21, 2011 at 12:15 pm
Hey Mary, whats the view look like from your trailer?
KB replying to a comment from Leighton / January 21, 2011 at 03:37 pm
wow, what a fucking douche you are.
Gabe replying to a comment from Lucas Samuels / January 24, 2011 at 11:18 am
Williamsburg yadda yadda yadda. Blah Blah Blah

Bowling was invented in the 1800's now that was original. Brooklyn Bowl is great but far from 100% original.

The decor maybe slightly different from the upscale alleys to the grittier alleys BUT all bowling alley's have bowling lanes, a bar, other games on hand (pool tables, video games, foosball, pinball machines).
Hilary replying to a comment from Luke / January 24, 2011 at 02:59 pm
I went on a Sunday night and it was $75 per hour.
steph p. / January 24, 2011 at 10:39 pm
ummm, according to their site, bowling is $65 an hour, not $75. So it musta changed from the last time you went. never went bowling myself, but had a few drinks upstairs with friends. $7 mixed drinks are pretty average priced for downtown. plus the bartender was great, really friendly. the staff made our night!! Thank u ballroom!
Chris / January 26, 2011 at 12:19 pm
The write-up about the food looked promising, so I dropped in a few nights ago to grab a quick bite at the bar before a screening at the Lightbox. Place was busy, but loud, loud, loud. Not a place to go when you are alone - you really need at least 7 people with you to enjoy the place. I may return if I can round up a posse. It's sort of like a Dave & Busters with prettier patrons.
Monica / January 27, 2011 at 11:56 am
Wow I hope they don't add live music. I think a lot of people forget that not everybody enjoys live music where they go to socialize and drink and have a good time. I know many people (inclduing myself) would rather go to a place with a dj over live music as I am almost guarnateed to enjoy the music (depending on the theme that night). But with live music it's so hit and miss as to whether the audience will appreciate or even enjoy it.

There is a time and place for live music, and I feel any business that limits themselves to one or the other also limits their potential clientele.
Stephanie / January 31, 2011 at 12:46 pm
The Ballroom is overpriced and disorganized. It's a waste of a potentially great idea.
frank / February 6, 2011 at 12:08 am
Go hang out at the bowlerama on saturday ....
John / February 6, 2011 at 09:43 pm
Went to ballroom on Feb 5 to watch UFC as they advertised that it will be shown at their bar. Called in ahead to try and book a table but they said they were not taking any reservations. When we got there, half of the tables had reserved signs on them! so much for "we do not take reservations". Decided to stick around anyway. We went to their lower level and got a decent spot and ordered drinks and food (which was not cheap by any means). At 10 pm, the UFC PPV started but suddenly, all the TV screens were switched to hockey so we decided to ask one of the staff why they took out the UFC and they said we have to go back upstairs and PAY cover to watch the fight! thats the biggest scam and BS that I have seen a bar pulled! they did not have any sign indicating you have to pay for PPV and we did spend money for drinks and food at their place too! NEVER again we ae going back to this place. Pure BS! also, they do serve tap on the lower level!!! went to a Fionn McCool down the street. They were showing the fight for free as most if not all of the bar downtown Toronto.
dyLQilpc / February 7, 2011 at 01:54 am
HNwJKg
GblvMeGJ / February 7, 2011 at 02:47 am
NIrNvZF
MvIOqmq / February 7, 2011 at 03:15 am
SFOOWo
qkufFaCm / February 7, 2011 at 07:26 am
rctjEpcJ
Megan / February 11, 2011 at 12:43 pm
What's the Ballroom like on weeknights? I'm looking for a fun place to go on a Wednesday and wondering what the vibe would be like here.
Craig / February 14, 2011 at 09:44 am
@Whoa. "It's not that we're snobs, it's just that for us, it's a different way of life.it's a different way of life. That's why we live down here and you live up there."

Uh, I'm pretty sure this makes you a snob.

Thorncliffe is two-thirds cheaper and is easily accessible by transit from Broadview Station (10 min bus) for all your fellow snobs.

(I live downtown too, btw and am NOT under any circumstances, paying $70 to bowl for an hour, for the privilege of eating organic salad and seared tuna).

Guess what? On occasion you have to venture beyond Ossington or Sherbourne to get a sense of what Toronto has to offer culturally. Where are the Pakistani/Afghani/German/Greek/Jamaican et al restaurants in the core? Let me know.

karl / February 17, 2011 at 11:05 am
Anyone else get told their FabFind vouchers were no good on Sat/Sun? The manager refused to honor the voucher despite there being no restriction on the voucher or deal page. Oddly, the ballroom's own twitter page doesn't spell out this restriction.

nokia 5800 review / March 2, 2011 at 07:20 am
i definately see what you might be speaking about right here
Jessica / May 19, 2011 at 03:41 pm
I see people complaining about the price but its $70 for up to 8 people. Which is under $10 per person. So how cheap are you? This is a group activity, I highly doubt any of you would visit The Ballroom alone. The drinks are reasonably priced. The food is ok but its bar food. At least they are offering a healthy alternative. And the bowling is only one aspect of the venue. Its an entertainment complex and provides a great night out. I always have a good time at The Ballroom. I watched the UFC fight, the Super Bowl, a few leafs games, bowled 4 or 5 times this year already, played ping pong one night, played pool another night. Its always a different experience when I go which is why I never get bored with it, which is a very difficult feat for a business to accomplish.