Thursday, August 21, 2014Mostly Cloudy 24°C
People

Get to know a bartender: Quenton Fortune, Churchill

Posted by Vincent Pollard / May 29, 2013

Quenton Fortune ChurchillIf you've spent any time on Dundas West over the past couple of years, you've no doubt been served a cocktail or two by Quenton Fortune at Churchill. Or, if you're a little further north, you might have encountered him at the recently opened Rose & Sons, the boutique diner launched by ex-Drake chef Anthony Rose. I popped into Churchill one afternoon before service to speak to Quenton about how he got into bartending and growing up in an ever-expanding Toronto.

You grew up in Toronto, right?

Yeah, I'm born and raised in Toronto - on Madison Avenue, in the Annex. If I ever meet someone who grew up in downtown Toronto we either know each other or there's one degree of separation. The Annex is one of the greatest parts of the city to grow up in. It's the centre of the city and you're surrounded by students and professionals. It's also very gay and lesbian-friendly and multicultural. I grew up across the street from the Madison Avenue Pub.

Is growing up opposite the Madison what got you interested in the idea of bartending?
For sure. When we were in grade 5 or 6 my buddy and I would go to the Madison to get chicken wings. We would be two little kids in the middle of the craziness at the Madison so we got to know all the staff there. I used to see the food runners cutting through the crowd with their trays and look at them with awe. I got to know the owners and they gave me odd jobs here and there, like handing out flyers outside Spadina station and walking their dog. It was $10 an hour, which was great money when you're that age.

Did you ever bartend there later on?

I've done the last few St. Patrick days there as a guest bartender but that's it. When I was 18 and I was finally old enough to work in the pub, I worked there as a food runner/bar-back during the day. Later they put me on nights and I worked for a year to save money to put myself through school when I went to Ryerson to study urban planning. It was a great time of my life. The tips were good as a food runner and you got to finish earlier than everyone else so I never really wanted to bartend at the time.

Quenton Fortune ChurchillDid you ever work as an urban planner when you graduated?

During school I did some work with a guy who was friends of the owner of the Madison but that's it. When I graduated my buddy and I decided to go travelling. We planned to spend 6 months in South East Asia but afterwards I ended up spending a year in Australia and I eventually came back 2 years later. My first ever bartending job was in actually in 2004 in Melbourne at a place called Escobar. We had bands upstairs and the place had just been done up. It was fun. I came back to Canada in November of 2005.

What did you do when you got back?

A lot of people who were at the Madison at the time left to open up the Drake Hotel. I heard about it while I was away via emails from my friends. This hot new place in Parkdale. My dentist was down in Parkdale and that was gross! So when I came back I went straight into food running at the Drake. It was a blast. You could go see shows downstairs after work or go up to the Sky Yard patio for drinks. After a couple of years Shane and Catherine approached me about working at Churchill and I wanted to move into bartending so the timing worked out well.

Quenton Fortune ChurchillWhen did Churchill open?

We've been open about 2 and a half years now. It was October/November of 2011. I already knew Sandy De Almeida and I met Kalinda when I came here for our first meeting. That was our team. It was a big learning curve moving behind the bar full-time - reading up on all the cocktails. There are so many separate eras to cocktail culture and I'm still learning. I had a bit of knowledge from the Drake but doing the cocktail training with Sandy was a whole other level and being here and being immersed in that has been fantastic. It's just a matter of doing things properly and doing it with confidence. We have a lot of home-made syrups and tinctures and bitters and it's getting really complicated. The level keeps rising. I don't try to be more than who I am and when you're talking to people you just soak it up and keep learning.

You can never know it all. There's always more to learn.

Yeah and that's the good thing about this neighbourhood is that I don't find a huge degree of pretentiousness. It's not about everyone knowing everything. You talk, you have the conversation - it's like 'this is the drink I want and if you don't know it I'll tell you how to make it'. No-one's like 'Oh, you don't know that!' - at least the places I go - so it makes you feel comfortable.

Quenton Fortune ChurchillSo how did you get the job at Rose & Sons. I'm guessing you knew Anthony from the Drake?

Yeah, I kept in touch with Anthony - or Chef as we call him - over the years. We worked together an art opening once or twice - he was catering it and I was behind the bar - and he said 'So when I open my place you're gonna come and work with me, right?' He's very passionate and you really have to know what you're doing but the atmosphere is casual. I remember my first shift - we hit the ground running and it's been fantastic there. It's a small room so everyone pitches in. It's a nice contrast with Churchill and I usually work two days in each place. Saturdays at Churchill are really busy but it's such a great spot - everyone's very mellow and we never have any problems.

It seems to be getting busier and busier on the Dundas West.

I've lived in this area now for seven years and I've seen it change a lot. I'm not one of those people who complains when this area gets flooded from people not from the neighbourhood. We live in a city, that's what happens - people come into the city on weekends - and they may not be as knowledgeable or polite as some of our regulars but whatever. They're here to have fun and we're here to help facilitate that.

Quenton Fortune ChurchillRAPID FIRE QUESTIONS

Straight up or on the rocks? Straight up

Scotch or Bourbon? Irish! A nice bourbon over Scotch

Gin or vodka? Gin

Twist or olive? Twist

Favourite shot? Jameson. I'll do a J├Ąger once in while or sometimes Fernet Branca, but usually Jameson.

Photos by Jesse Milns

Cha-Ching / May 29, 2013 at 10:14 am
Sorry, this Eric Benet look-alike is one of the worst bartenders, straight-up ignored me even when there's no one else waiting to order, he looked me in the eyes and just stood there doing nothing and then continued to stand there until he felt like he was ready to serve me also Churchhill sucks, biggest douche bag bar on Dundas.
Me replying to a comment from Cha-Ching / May 29, 2013 at 11:31 am
But getting ignored is considered 'cool' by hipsters.
Excuse replying to a comment from Cha-Ching / May 29, 2013 at 12:15 pm
Maybe he thought it was a staring contest?
Tiffany / May 29, 2013 at 01:16 pm
This guy made me one of the best drinks of my life. Forget what it was called. It was way expensive, but the taste *almost* made me forget that I was being finally &^%$^ in the ass.
Lover replying to a comment from Tiffany / May 29, 2013 at 01:29 pm
That can be arranged again Tiffany...
D-stroy / May 29, 2013 at 03:27 pm
Don't get is twisted, this is far from a hipster bar, This is a Gino bar for straights.
greeeeeg / May 29, 2013 at 05:39 pm
Since I am happy with my life, in a good place, and content, I decided to post venomous hate on this blog. Oh wait...
Holy Thundering Jesus / May 29, 2013 at 05:51 pm
But can he make a Manhattan?
Renee Crawford / May 29, 2013 at 09:40 pm
wow Toronto reppin hate since...the beginning of time. ANY bar can be seen/interpreted as a 'hipster' bar. Who the fuck isn't a hipster these days I have a dog, like drinking gin, occasionally eat taco's and have had beers at trinity bellwoods I guess I'm one way ticket bound to hipster hell....shut the fuck up- try working behind the bar and then spew your righteous bullshit. Love you Q
SimonsMom replying to a comment from Holy Thundering Jesus / May 30, 2013 at 12:49 am
Or pour a beer?
Steph / May 30, 2013 at 08:37 am
I know this dude, he's not a close friend but I have known him for 15 years. Good dude and far from the type to ignore people.
Rosie Da Silva / May 31, 2013 at 11:13 am
Good on you Quenton!
My kids went to elementary school with you. Interesting to know where everyboy is now,. Plan to visit Churchill sometime soon. I find it difficult to beleive the criticism, knowig your family.
bleepblop replying to a comment from Cha-Ching / May 31, 2013 at 01:19 pm
I wouldn't serve someone like you either. And you wished you looked like Eric Benet...
Penman / June 2, 2013 at 08:52 pm
Haha, Quinton will love the Eric Benet comment. A great dude that anyone (who is not a passive aggressive maniac) will agree.
iheartTO replying to a comment from Cha-Ching / June 3, 2013 at 01:52 pm
He's a great bartender. Not to mention, the sexiest bartender in the city. Maybe you're just a hater.
Jasper replying to a comment from Cha-Ching / June 3, 2013 at 07:21 pm
That's because the only largemouths he deals with live in bell lake.
Louis Vuitton Bags / August 29, 2013 at 09:57 pm
Suddenly, a cold voice from the doorway -Ouyang Zi TM, heart suddenly snapped, suddenly pushed Tong-ho about to kiss her, lift My Eyes to the sound source. Tong Hao a defense, she push himself a little flash, but fortunately not her strength, he quickly stabilize the body, also followed turned around and looked. The sight touched Ouyang Chen Wind tall figure, Tong Hao could not help heart sank beneath it. Came from the doorway, his stalwart figure like heaven gods. Cover the outside of the bright, handsome face Longzhe layer of clouds, the outline more clearly the deep, dressed in a dark shirt and black trousers, his whole body diffusion with a surge of cold breath and, together with the surrounding air condensation also followed . Chen wind Columbia, that thing I have long forgotten, really, I do not remember " Ouyang Chen wind despite her struggles, pulled her back to the front of the sofa and sat down, covered with layers of frost solemn and serious face, thin Yi the labellum sip sip, coldly interrupted her messy explanation: "Wedding day, the bride will not be US-Shan Gu, but you!" Ouyang Zi TM, spot petrochemical She hopes themselves got it wrong, and must have misheard, or Chen wind brother would say that the bride is not US-shan sister how is she? Eyes Yuan Deng, mouth Zhang Cheng O font, but Leng Leng could not say a word! This is ridiculous, no, it is not absurd, is simply absurd to the extreme! "No!" A long time, her consciousness withdrawn from circulation, and despite all the struggles, shortness of breath and panic: "Chen wind Columbia, you may not like this, even if the night is I, you can not be to make such decisions, you do this to Shan sister is not fair, I will not marry you, absolutely not woo " Back then engulfed by Ouyang Chen Wind kiss!On China City is located in China's eastern coastal, after 20 years of development, has become the world are scheduled to be on a modern metropolis. WWw. quANBEn. Com Once a feng shui master said, on China City's The status now is because of his unique pattern of feng shui: Tianmen open land households closed. Dinghui Xing Wang, mountain masters of small water main Choi, mean that mountain and water represents wealth Montreal. On China City is located in the Changjiang River estuary, the great river of water from a distance stretches thousands of miles to bring great wealth, which is the day the door opened, more open door days, more powerful financial gas; At the same time, in the river into the sea in front of another mountain Ming Island block, forming a pattern of ground households closed to pack the air intake to households more retract more financial gas vent go. Zheng Tianlong surprised Buddha actually shrouded in a thin layer of gas, and other instruments used completely without this gas. "Instruments have gas? Are looking gas also applies to instruments used? If that is true it is not is a good gas adder adder?" Zhengtian Long's minds quickly flashed a series of thought. See Zheng Tianlong staring at a Buddha Bai Jianyun getting in the way, said: "This is a column brother Zhendian treasure! Was three years ago of his time Jianlou Amoy back was only 3000, now it was 50 million, are reluctant to sell." Baijian Yun spoke envious look to the side of the face, but held the money! "Wrong, not 50 million, yesterday it was 600 000, I do not sell." Sun column spoke and walked over, holding two instruments used. "Wow! 600,000! Column brother, why do not you sell?" Baijian Yun suddenly exclaimed out 500,000 that last week when Sun column, this one week rose 100,000, the speed of this money is really a little too fast. "Oh, good adder like antiques, more put the more valuable." More put the more valuable of course, is one reason, but the more important reason is that Buddha is a living sign - living a Jianlou rich stories and material evidence to shop to buy things people are subconsciously feel in here to buy a pieces of instruments under a Jianlou to themselves, so Sun column is absolutely reluctant to sell this Buddha. True worth of instruments used?" Zheng Tianlong said, Bai Jianyun on the side of an adder take over carefully observe care in the palm of the hand, found to be a turtle, but the head of the turtle is the leading four legs standing on a pile of coins and ingot. Dragon turtle, is the incarnation of the Dragon and turtle, Ancient Dragon born son of one of the auspicious, Turtle, turtle tail outwards made evil solution Eritrea effect, leading toward the home blessed with . " Zheng Tianlong stunned for a moment, he found these words as if already in their own minds, get to adder the hands carefully looked after suddenly run out. Feng Shui says: 'To fast hair, fighting the three evil' main auspicious Lucky on the financial position, put in robbery evil dragon turtle, disaster evil-year-old evil evil bit can be played to resolve the role. " Nine that one in the central five spot, As to the four cardinal points as well as the eight directions of the northeast, northwest, southeast and southwest of seven, one, three, ten, two, four, six, and eight and one each spot of the group."Snapped ~~" This time, stone ground burst open, and the formation of countless points of light, has formed two general plans seems to have endless suction spot after the stone cracked suck over, continue changing. Last Zhengtian Long has been unable to distinguish between these small points in the end, even he found these small points, turned into a one of the text, the text and a combined constitute one and one sentence, and finally form a articles and one article; which formed lines, originally constitute a pattern ... it all seemed like water generally formed emptiness.Efforts widened his eyes, Zhengtian Long tried to see these words and phrases or graphics, but in the end he found that their efforts futile, because all this change is too much and too fast, his eyes keep pace .
Awet / September 12, 2013 at 05:56 pm
Best bartender in the city and one of the best guys I know!