Tuesday, September 23, 2014Partly Cloudy 9°C
News Flash

Toronto Cyclists Union makes video on Jarvis bike lanes

Posted by Derek Flack / July 5, 2011

In response to Rob Ford's claim that he's received citizen complaints about the Jarvis bike lanes, the Toronto Cyclist Union has taken to the street to solicit feedback regarding the issue. It's not surprising that users of the bike lanes would want to see them stay, but the above video also includes the perspective of motorists on the street, who by and large are bike lane friendly.

Unfortunately, it's not possible to put much stock in off-the-cuff interviews with a few random road users — they just don't provide a reliable sample of public opinion. But, I suppose if the mayor's going to do it, it makes some sense that the Cyclists Union counter with the same logic.

What is wrong with this Bike Lane? from Bike Union on Vimeo.

TOArsenal / July 5, 2011 at 04:42 pm
That lady who said "I'm glad" honestly seems one of those people that doesn't stop to enjoy life for one second and finds everything to be bitter about. They're also usually the cagers that kill (motor)cyclists. Gotta love those people who generalise!
P / July 5, 2011 at 04:42 pm
Keep the bike lane.
Xavier / July 5, 2011 at 04:49 pm
Wow, cars seem to be out numbering the bikes by a large margin. I guess it's ok to get rid of the bike lanes
Joseph / July 5, 2011 at 04:56 pm
Hey, there are bad cyclists. Let's get rid of bike lanes!

Also, there are bad drivers. Let's get rid of roads too!
M-A / July 5, 2011 at 05:04 pm
I'd rather have bike lanes then have them trying to fight for space in the car lanes. Safer for all on the road.
Mark / July 5, 2011 at 06:56 pm
Wow, an edited video with people on tape supporting their side. how long did it take them to come up with enough footage for their little video? Tough luck cyclists, the unneeded bike lanes on Jarvis will soon be gone.
Ico / July 5, 2011 at 07:14 pm
Removing the bike lane would be stupid...because its a waste of money. However, putting the bicycle lane on Jarvis St in the first place was a bad idea...its a transit oriented road, its a smooth north-south route for core...leave it be

put bicycle lanes on community streets!...church is ideal...besides, you have bicycle lanes on sherbourne street...
Carla / July 5, 2011 at 07:47 pm
I find Jarvis to be an incredibly efficient street. Church is a little slow and Sherbourne is one of the worst streets in the city! Potholes and giant bumps all the way. Not to mention that it's super sketchy at night.
I'm just a regular commuter that wants to get to school and back safely. I've got no intention of weaving my way around cars or disturbing the car traffic in any way. I just want my own space. I hate it when drivers generalize all bikers like those crazy couriers that even make other bikers feel unsafe.
Rob / July 5, 2011 at 09:14 pm
From 0:19 to 0:27, Coolio was on a Fantastic Voyage
arama / July 5, 2011 at 10:04 pm
Remove.

We need to get our donuts faster and go to the strip kicker.

Ford Nation.
abc123 replying to a comment from Mark / July 6, 2011 at 09:32 am
hey Mark,
I find it surprising that you could even type that comment, for I had assumed you were illiterate and couldn't read the info in the video (all of your questions/criticisms were answered by the type on the screen around the :40 second mark).
I guess somebody else angrily/ignorantly typed up the comment for you?
M / July 6, 2011 at 12:22 pm
A 55-year-old woman was just struck by an idiot cyclist downtown, and may die as a result.

BitMedler / July 6, 2011 at 12:36 pm
TOArsenal:
"One of those people"…"gotta love people who generalize!"

Carla:
"I hate it when drivers generalize all bikers like those crazy couriers"

You see what's happening here right? Please don't play into the "War" game. Cyclists and drivers are humans operating vehicles. Generalizing either weakens your stance. Neither are going away, so let's use some common sense and identify a balance.

And on topic, I agree that Jarvis didn't necessarily need a bike lane. I felt they should have addressed the myriad issues with Sherbourne - road conditions, landscaping, lighting etc - which would have been a good start in making the neighbourhood safer and happier for residents and commuters alike, the roads better for cars and a nice lane for cyclists. That said, I'm not pleased about spending another $70,000 of my tax money on removing it due to more poor city planning.

And for context, I've been cycling almost daily for over 25 years and licensed to drive for 20.
Kieren replying to a comment from M / July 6, 2011 at 01:27 pm
yeah, should've just got hit by a car instead
Klingon replying to a comment from Kieren / July 6, 2011 at 03:18 pm
@Kieran,

You are what is wrong with Toronto cyclists: selfish, self-centred, and taking no responsibility for their actions.
Mark replying to a comment from abc123 / July 6, 2011 at 04:56 pm
@abc123

And if you are gullible enough to believe that, then I have a nice ocean front property in Arizona to sell you.
gadfly replying to a comment from BitMedler / July 6, 2011 at 10:16 pm
.. so what did you think of the hundred grand they spent to take the signs/lights down in the first place? That was a 'good' public expenditure? Or how about the hundreds of thousands of dollars in lost parking meter revenue when those were taken away?
With the way Miller (and Rae's) popularity was falling last Spring, it was with deep contempt that they went ahead and removed the overhead wires and lights. They had to have an inkling that this issue was far from settled. They could have removed the signage and moved the white lines with little cost to the public purse... but, no, they had an agenda and had to ram it through before the election.
Hey, Cyclists Union, surely with your gazillion well-informed, educated and wealthy members, one of them must live on Jarvis St. and could lend their balcony to set up one of those stop action cameras so we can all watch on a website how absolutely desolate the bicycle lanes on Jarvis St. are... no, not interested? I thought not.
the lemur replying to a comment from gadfly / July 11, 2011 at 11:30 am
Right, because those cars totally didn't find other places to park on adjacent streets and totally evaporated.
Nelly / July 14, 2011 at 05:09 pm
a mass bike action down jarvis next week:
Jenn / July 22, 2011 at 11:53 am
I have been witness to a few vehicle vs cyclist accidents lately and most have been where there are no bike lanes. I am supporting the bike lanes 100% (and I'm a driver). However, I have one suggestion... If cyclists want equal use of the roads, shouldn't they have traffic signals like the other vehicles? I saw an accident yesterday morning that happened because the cyclist went through an intersection while the cars had an advanced turn signal. At 6am your reaction time is quite a bit slower than it would be if it you had been awake longer. yes, the driver was at fault also but if the bike lanes had their own signals, this accident could have been avoided.
p.s The cyclist has a few broken bones but will recover