Wednesday, August 27, 2014Clear 17°C
Music

The Gladstone calls it quits on karaoke nights

Posted by Aubrey Jax / March 20, 2014

Gladstone KaraokeYou've sang, you've laughed, and, if you were the one sober misanthropic friend who didn't know what they were getting into, you cried. Karaoke at the Gladstone has been our own number one pick for belting your heart out to everything from Whitney to the Backstreet Boys and from Queen to Will Smith. But this Saturday (March 22) The Gladstone will host its final karaoke night.

Shortly after the ice storm this winter a pipe burst at the historical West Queen West hotel, causing considerable damage to the Melody Bar and the Gladstone's audio equipment. To make matters more severe, the Melody Bar is no longer reliably soundproof, and drunk wannabes from from and wide crooning Dolly's greatest hits in a sound-leaky room spells disaster for a boutique hotel's business (I'd imagine the average northern Canadian highway hotel bar might not share this dilemma).

Peter Styles, a musician who's hosted karaoke nights at the Gladstone for 14 of its 15 years as a Toronto staple, told the Toronto Star that he's currently looking for a new gig: "I'll work wherever they hire me." When you wish him well at the Melody Bar this weekend, don't forget to drop BOMT early, so it looks like you're the first person who thought of it. I'll close with this M*A*S*H* "Suicide is Painless" karaoke video, because it seems right (and it never fails to weird me out).

Where will you go to almost hit the notes now that the Gladstone's left the ring?

Photo via Gladstone Hotel on Flickr.

Rob / March 20, 2014 at 10:51 am
So sad! Had many a great night at the Gladstone. I can't say, though, that I'm going to miss Peter - the guy was always a bit surly...didn't appear to particularly like his job.
Water into beer / March 20, 2014 at 10:53 am
Misanthropic? If one were truly a misanthrope, one would avoid such denizens involved in cheek by jowl drunken conviviality at all costs. If you're not familiar with a word, avoid using it ...or else end up talking like Don Cherry.
SurlyGirly / March 20, 2014 at 11:33 am
I guess the owners decided that they couldn't have the hipsters upstairs disturbed by the flotsom of the city enjoying themselves.
As a former resident of the hood, no good has come of it since the Drake arrived.
Aubrey replying to a comment from Water into beer / March 20, 2014 at 11:37 am
A person doing a thing they know they'll regret? You're right, it's never happened. My bad. :)
Hazel McCallion / March 20, 2014 at 11:46 am
O my wattles! Until I heard Rob Ford at the Gladstone doing karaoke to 'O My Papa',, I didn't understand how dim he is. It made my wattles inflate!
CryingInMyBeer / March 20, 2014 at 11:48 am
Well figures this place would be blogTO' first choice. What's not to like? Kick a bunch of elderly poverty stricken human beings out so rich artsy types can have a place to live and talk about art that isn't paticularly good. I say what goes around comes around. At least before gentrification this place had a heartbeat. Rich selfish folks will never learn.

God is good.
Fedora Man / March 20, 2014 at 11:56 am
I myself will be sad about not being able to watch rubenesque ladies sing show tunes any longer. Where will I ever go to get my fix now?
queenstgirl / March 20, 2014 at 01:19 pm
I have to say, I think the gladstone is missing the mark a bit lately. They changed their local-friendly accesible breakfast menu with an overpriced art food brunch, and now they are cancelling their most successful events? bananas.
Joey replying to a comment from SurlyGirly / March 20, 2014 at 01:37 pm
"...no good has come of it since the Drake arrived."

Drake you ho, this is all your fault!
Fedora Man replying to a comment from queenstgirl / March 20, 2014 at 02:07 pm
but they still have burlesque. Yum yum.
p / March 20, 2014 at 05:24 pm
bummer.
Graeme / March 20, 2014 at 10:43 pm
The last redeeming feature of the Gladstone is gone. That is sad. I have never really like karaoke, but always enjoyed it here.

But I guess that Hipsters have more money...