Saturday, October 25, 2014Partly Cloudy 12°C
Music

Kyary Pamyu Pamyu makes Toronto cute for a night

Posted by Sarah Ratchford / March 10, 2014

Kyary Pamyu PamyuJapanese pop princess Kyary Pamyu Pamyu brought out a seldom-seen side of Toronto Saturday. The Little Bo Peep-on-acid, bunny suit wearing, excited, adorable side.

The Sound Academy was as packed as I've ever seen it, but everybody, and I mean everybody, danced. People wore tiny backpacks, pink hair, ruffles, and various animal hats. In short, on Kyary's first trip to Canada, she threw an amazing Harajuku party. Honestly, I think Toronto could do with a little more wow wow wow yay yay yay in its life. And maybe a few more acid trips.

Kyary Pamyu PamyuKyary's music is not really the focal point of her shows. A lot of people seem to come for her style, her energy, and the show itself.There was a giant pink bunny leaping around, a troupe of precious dancers with Minnie Mouse headbands, and Kyary's own unique brand of hard-to-ignore head adornments.

Kyary got her start as a model and fashion blogger, and her style is a combination of early Tavi Gevinson, Sailor Moon (I had to), and the most wild Vogue editorial spreads, but her special twist is that everything is pink. She also doesn't give a eff: In 2012, she wore one of her trademark giant hair bows on TV, accidentally blocking sight of band Kanjani8. She apologized, and was very sweet about it obviously. But Saturday, the show was hers, and she joyously wore that fucking bow and brought some giddiness to our broken, frosty winter-in-Toronto hearts.

Kyary Pamyu PamyuThough one could say Kyary's music is secondary to her image, the music is insanely fun. She started with Invader Invader ("The antenna grows, on the rainbow UFO"). The crowd went apeshit in a way I rarely see in this city. I think I'm going to start listening to this gem of a human when I am stomping around the city feeling especially homicidal.

Kyary Pamyu PamyuKyary spoke Japanese for the most part when she addressed the crowd. But there was no real language barrier, somehow, as much of the crowd either understood Japanese, or were just so into it that they knew wassup anyway.

Kyary Pamyu PamyuEveryone fell in love with the adorable Kyary, is what I'm saying here, myself included. We wildly demanded an encore, and she came back with Candy Candy and Tyantyakatyantyan. For me, that was a highlight.

Kyary Pamyu PamyuThat, and watching crowds of fluffy-booted, glittery Torontonians march off into the night with a little bit more hope and optimism than they showed up with.

MORE PHOTOSKyary Pamyu PamyuKyary Pamyu PamyuKyary Pamyu PamyuKyary Pamyu PamyuKyary Pamyu PamyuKyary Pamyu Pamyu

Photos by Matthew Kozovski

poi / March 10, 2014 at 12:26 am
Jenkins / March 10, 2014 at 09:26 am
"...and she joyously wore that fucking bow and brought some giddiness to our broken, frosty winter-in-Toronto hearts."

Wow. So edgy! Great writers you've got here, BlogTO!
S / March 10, 2014 at 10:35 am
Message to her Canadian fans: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHvT8wCwLgI
Warren / March 10, 2014 at 11:57 am
Gaga is so 2012 to me but at least she knows how to change her costumes throughout her show
Jack / March 10, 2014 at 01:09 pm
Da fuh?
kaitlyn / March 11, 2014 at 07:24 pm
Great article and pictures!Loved her performance! She was amazing! Her energy, and singing were amazing and lovely. She was so sweet and made the crowd happy and joyful. I disliked the venue, there was a lack of organization in people who bought VIP, and regular. Some guards were really rude, and others polite and helpful. The seating arrangement in the VIP area was dreadful for there was not enough depth in rows, so half the time I would get the back of someone's head. It was also a terrible experience trying to buy merchandise, too many people and only 2 people selling stuff, and 2 guards trying to control the "line" and crowds. I will remember her performance and the terribleness of the venue as 2 separate experiences. If she is coming to Canada again I would suggest to spend the little extra and do a better venue.
patrick / March 11, 2014 at 08:38 pm
the very last song was "chan chaka chan chan" not "Tyantyakatyantyan"
Guillaume / March 12, 2014 at 11:47 am
Great article! I came from Montreal to see her and it was so awesome!

Is it possible to upload photos of her on Wikipedia? I would like to improve her article. :3
Timothy / March 13, 2014 at 09:04 pm
was an amazing show. I flew from Winnipeg for this, was soo worth it. The meet and greet was a very memorable moment. 'Invader Invader' was the right way to kick of an epic debute in Canada. Awesome article, Great photos. Thx.