Toronto Halloween Party Guide 2012
Toronto Halloween parties have a little something for everyone: whether you're a diehard aficionado, who demands a nod to horror classics, or just looking to party in your shiny faux leather catsuit. There comes a time in everyone's life when a house party (aka a punch-bowl filled with bobbing Jello fingers and poorly-rigged booby traps by the bathroom door) just doesn't cut it anymore, and for those looking to celebrate Halloween with a proper dance party (and a bunch of masked strangers), you're sure to find something in every corner of the city. This year, Halloween falls on Wednesday, so many of the parties outlined below get things started as soon as this weekend.
YLMC: a DWAYNE GRETZKY Hallowe'en at the Horseshoe
Toronto's favourite supergroup-cover-band Dwayne Gretzky (featuring members of The Arkells, Sheezer, July Talk and anyone else or none of those mentioned) will be headlining a Halloween show at The Horseshoe. It's, of course, a costume party and they're even enlisting a professional set designer to create a spooky stage. Nicholas Doubleyou and the B-Squad are opening. You can grab tickets at the usual record stores and there will also be a few tickets at the door. A perfect way to spend your Halloween night dancing in the dark."
Haunted Mansion at The Great Hall
This year marks the third instalment of The Great Hall's annual Halloween bash, and with 3 rooms (and 3 distinct sounds), it should be creepier than ever as the bones of this old property get properly decked out. Be sure to dress up in danceable costumes for this October 27 event. Advance tickets are $30 and doors open at 9 p.m.
Goin' Steady Monster Mash
Goin' Steady's Monster Mash is taking over Lee's Palace for their eighth annual Halloween DJ party, and you can expect the same quality '50s and '60s hits that Goin' Steady is known for, as well as an array of innovative costumes. Word to the wise: aim higher than just a pinned-on cat's tail or witch's hat for this one. There'll be no advance tickets to this October 26th event, but beginning at 9 p.m., $10 will get you in throughout the night.
Halloweek in Church Wellesley Village
Church Wellesley Village brings back its popular Halloweek celebrations, beginning today and running until October 31. The week-long series of events will culminate in an epic block party on October 31, with a live stage show starting at 7 p.m., and a costume contest from 9:30 p.m. There'll be cash prizes, so expect some of the city's finest, wackiest costumes, and an all-out celebration that'll shut down the street.
Night of Dread 2012
Night of Dread returns for its 13th instalment on October 27th, with another incredible (and borderline frightening) parade featuring stilt walkers, dancers, musicians, and puppeteers. Plan to begin assembling at 4 p.m. in Dufferin Grove Park, with the hour-and-a-half-long parade kicking off at 6 p.m. As in previous years, the dress code is black and white, and admission is PWYC.
Watch the Sky: Halloween Massacre in Kensington Market Oct 26
Aliens might not make you quake in your boots, but they're the theme of Watch the Sky at Studio 216 Art Bar and Rumble House. This one's got a bit of everything: circus freaks, DJs, a haunted maze, a monster-themed art show, and snacks and drinks to keep you dancing. Costumes are encouraged, and your silver lame bodysuit might actually be appreciated here. You can score tickets for this October 26 party through their hotline (647.834.0218) and the whole shebang kicks off at 7 p.m.
Burroughes Haunted Mansion
The price tag on this October 27th party is a bit steep ($49.99), but the gorgeous venue alone warrants it. If that doesn't do it for you, consider that it's always a sold-out event, and that you can expect all-out costumes, and a party that's known for getting a little bit wild. Doors open at 9 p.m., and you'll need to get there before 10:30 p.m.
Freakout 2012 at Sound Academy
On October 27, Sound Academy will fill up quick with guys, gals, and ghouls, all vying for a chance to win the costume contest. Tickets to this 19+ event range from $56.50 for general entry, or $81.50 for a spot on the VIP balcony--so you can watch the dance floor mayhem from a safe distance. DJs include Rusko and Dillon Francis.
Hoxton Halloween Horror & Movember Eve Party
The Hoxton Halloween party is always a good bet, but this year, they're inadvertently offering you one of the most economical costume options: the moustache. A portion of their proceeds will go to Movember Canada, so this one's for a good cause. Costumes are mandatory (whether it's a hirsute lip or not), and advance tickets for this Halloween Eve event are $15; the party kicks off at 10 p.m.
Dream Factory @ Zero Gravity Circus Training Studio
This can't-miss party is hosted by Promise and Suma, and takes place at a circus training studio: what more do you need? How about a stellar line-up of dubstep, deep house and deep techno DJs, a photobooth and installations, and some truly out-of-this-world costumes. Advance tickets are $35, and the party goes down this Saturday night from 10 p.m.
Halloween Shit Fun Video Dance party at Double Double Land
Double Double Land hosts its Halloween party this Friday night beginning at 10 p.m., and promises live music, video, and yes, a "noise fuck explosion." Expect industrial, post-punk and breakcore sounds, and wear your baddest costume for $5 entry ($10 without).
Halloween Party (for Birds and Birdfriends) at Cinecycle
The "birds" in question are, of course, Hitchcock's, but you don't need to limit your dress-up options to tight sweaters and classy suits. There'll be a costume contest, cheap drinks, music courtesy of DJ Bollywood Dream, and entry for just $5. The party goes down on October 26, starting at 10 p.m.
DPAD 3: UnDead Quest! - Chiptune Halloween Costume Party + Pop-Up Arcade at InterAccess
This unique Halloween party offers live music, an art exhibition, a pop-up arcade, and home-brewed beer! Get in touch with your inner nerd on October 27 as you learn about the evolution of the gaming industry. Horror games will be played on classic gaming consoles such as Atari, as well as current generation consoles like XBOX360. Tickets are $7.
Rocky Horror Picture Show at Randolph Theatre
How else to celebrate Halloween than with a night of taking in the cult classic that has been the inspiration for so many costumes! Rocky Horror Picture Show is running at the Randolph Theatre from October 25 until November 3rd. Tickets Range in price from $25 - $50 with profits being donated to the Pediatric Oncology Group of Ontario, which is an organization helping children with cancer across Ontario.
Les Coquettes Halloween Spooktacular - Bone Orchard Follies
Les Coquettes Cabaret Burlesque is putting on a Halloween show that will be referenced more for its sexiness than spookiness. Bone Orchard Follies is a show that celebrates the pleasures of the flesh. The show is runs on October 28th and October 31st at Revival. Tickets range from $15 to $35.
FRIDAY OCTOBER 26TH
- Monster Mash at the Guvernment
- Luv This City: Halloween Edition w Miss Honey Dijon @ Footwork
- Halloween Weekend Chicago Lightning @ Cinema Presents Free Bricks Halloween Party @ Play
- Halloween Weekend: Cowboys Vs. Aliens @ Brassaii
- The Walking Dead Halloween @ Kool Haus
- Fear Therapy @ Century Room
- Halloween Video Dance Party @ Garrison
- A Horribilly Halloween w/ The Matadors + Hellcat & The Prowl @ Hard Luck Bar
- ZOmnbie Bike Lane Critital Mass - on Jarvis
- Go Hard Fright Night Hall-O-Queen @ Harlem Lounge
- Pop! Goes the World! Halloween Party @ The Annex Wreckroom
SATURDAY OCTOBER 27TH
- Pop*Machine: Halloween Bash @ W.A.Y.L.A. Bar
- Scary Storys 2 @ Storys Building (Sold Out)
- Hotnuts Halloqween @ the Garrison
- I'd Tap That Crush Party Horror Show - @ the Central
- Halloween Club Crawl 2012- starting @ City nightclub
- Fresh Prince of Bel-Air 90s Halloween at 9 Degrees
- Zombie Apocalypse Zombie Ball 2012 @ Pacha Lounge all ages
- Panic Halloween Retro Party @ Velvet Underground
- Diablo Halloween Ball @ 99 Sudbury Monster Liberty Village @ Vogue Supperclub
- Haunted Office Pub @ The Office Pub
- Halloween @ Virgin Mobile Mod Club
- Spooky Swag @ Andy Poolhall
- Freaky Flavours @ Encore Rehearsal Studios
- The London Massacre @ This is London Sex Lies Video @ Cinema
- Get Your Freak On @ Supermarket
- Gigantic Halloween Clusterfuck @ Soybomb HQ
- Night of Stars @ Easy and the Fifth
- Halloween Latin Social@ City Dance Social
- Halloween Bash @ Cadillac Lounge
- Midnight Mix and Costume party @ Revival
- Dirty Cycle ** Halloween costume Party @ Loft Hallowscream @ The Boat
- Disco Infernal: A Hallowe'en Party in Hell @ Polish Combatants Hall
- Halloween w Speedy J @ Footwork
- Supernatural @ Tequila Bookworm
- The Bollywood Massacre @ Loft 580 Death Disco Halloween 2012 @ Wrongbar
- Smithfits Halloween @ Parts and Labour
- Boo Bash @ Nyood Bar. Haunted House Party
- Retro Halloween: Pin Up Girls and Rat pack guys @ Loft 782
- Halloween Fetish Ball @ Opera House
- Death to T.O @ Silver Dollar
- FU Fridays: Chainsaw Massacre @ Buddies in Bad Times Theatre
- Halloween Party @ Comedy Bar
- A Nightmare on Queen St w Irene Torres & sugar devils @ the Dominion
- Halloween Haunt (in a haunted house) @ Hard Rock CafÃ©
- The Halloween Party @ 550 and 592 Queen St
- MattyFest Halloween Party w/ Quest for Fire and Deloro @ Parts @ Labour
- FANGORIA Presents: BLACK SUNDAY: THE HALLOWEEN PARTY @ 3030
- Zombie Dog Walk @ Paws on the Shore
- Season Spooky Haunted House @ Seasons Family Center
TUESDAY OCTOBER 30TH
- Art Battle Halloween @ The Great Hall
- Toronto Horoscope Halloween Speed Dating @ Church Aperitivo Bar
- Emma-Lee's Zombie Prom @ THe Drake
- Twisted Tuesday's Devil Nights @ Nocturne
WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 31ST
- Disturbia @ This is London Oct 31
- Halloween Resurrection: Nightmare on Richmond @ Rich
- Halloween @ Century Room
- True Halloween w/ DJ Lazarus @ Velvet Underground
- Nightmare @ Fiction
- Fright Club @ Tryst
- Monte Requesto presents GORD LIGHT: "DRESSED-O FOR REQUESTO" @ Cloak and Dagger Irish Pub
- Yelloween @ Brassaii
- Underworld @ Cinema Presents
- 4 Bands at Rancho Relaxo
- Halloween Night @ Kitsch
- JÃ¤germeister Presents: Slayer Party Halloween @ Hard Luck Bar
- Dia de Los muertos @ Sazerac Gastro Lounge
- Spooktacular Halloween Party @ Ballroom on Bayview
- Eyes Wide Shut @ House of Moments
- Devil's Night Out 2012 University Students @ XS Nightclub Oct 31st
- YLMC: Dwayne Gretzky Halloween @ Horshoe Tavern Oct 31
- Madison Avenue Massacre @ The Madison
- Haunt Springs @ Oasis Aqualounge
Did we miss one? Add more Toronto Halloween parties to the comment thread below.