Hot Ticket: Nada Surf, Margot & The Nuclear So and So's, The Deep Dark Woods, Milagres, Perfume Genius
Live music picks for WEDNESDAY APRIL 4 through MONDAY APRIL 9, 2012.
WEDNESDAY APRIL 4 / NADA SURF / THE OPERA HOUSE / 735 QUEEN E / $16.50 / 19+
I've mentioned in the past that one of the perks of writing this weekly post is that I discover bands that I otherwise wouldn't have found. Nada Surf, out of New York, is a prime example. They've been on the scene since 1992 and have developed something of a cult following. This isn't surprising because, quite frankly, their music is fantastic. If you're a fan of The Shins, you'll want to check these guys out.
THURSDAY APRIL 5 / MARGOT & THE NUCLEAR SO AND SO'S / THE GARRISON / 1197 DUNDAS W / $11.50 IN ADVANCE, $13 AT THE DOOR / ALL AGES
If you're in a band, and you have a ridiculously badass name like Margot & The Nuclear So and So's, you'd better be able to bring it. Thankfully, these guys are more than just a clever name. They're currently touring in support of their latest album, Rot Gut, Domestic, and if you're in the mood for some indie rock with a chamber pop twist, this is the show for you. Water and Sveta Bout will offer support.
FRIDAY APRIL 6 / THE DEEP DARK WOODS / THE GREAT HALL / 1087 QUEEN W / $15 / 19+
I'm not ashamed to say that I'm a fan of country music, especially alternative country. The Deep Dark Woods are a fine example of this genre. Coming from the prairies of Saskatoon, this five-piece released their fourth album, The Place I Left Behind, in 2011, and in my opinion it was one of the highlights of the year. It's dark, moody, twangy, and awesome. This show will also feature the banjo plucking of Old Man Luedecke.
SATURDAY APRIL 7 / MILAGRES / THE DRAKE HOTEL / 1150 QUEEN W / $10.50 IN ADVANCE, $12 AT THE DOOR / 19+
Fresh off the 2011 release of their album Glowing Mouth, Brooklyn-based Milagres will be rolling through the Drake. I wasn't familiar with their work before this week, and after doing some research, I can say this - if nothing else, these guys know about the importance of a wacky music video. They've almost got a bit of a Depeche Mode-style sound going on - or I might be overstating it. Either way, this should be a fun little show.
SUNDAY APRIL 8 / PERFUME GENIUS / THE DRAKE HOTEL / 1150 QUEEN W / $11.50 IN ADVANCE, $13 AT DOOR / 19+
There's absolutely no need to leave the Drake after the Milagres show, because the very next night, you can watch the utter insanity of Perfume Genius. And I use the term "utter insanity" in the nicest way possible, as this is bound to be one of the more unique shows taking place in the city on a Sunday night. If you're a fan of indie-pop with a seriously experimental twist, this one will be right up your alley.
RECENTLY ANNOUNCED CONCERTS
- Sydney Blu at the Hoxton on April 7. $15.00.
- Dev at the Mod Club on April 9. $20.00.
- Laidback Luke at the Hoxton on April 12. $25.00.
- Kaiser Chiefs at the Opera House on April 17. $35.50.
- Tanlines at the Wrongbar on April 17. $10.50.
- Nick Lowe at the Phoenix on April 23. $34.00.
- Acid Mothers Temple at the Garrison on April 26. $15.00.
- Dragon Ritual Drummers at the El Mocambo on April 27. $10.00.
- Frankie Rose at Parts & Labor on May 2. $11.50.
- Fortune at the Garrison on May 3. $12.50.
- Eleanor Friedberger at the Garrison on May 4. $15.00
- Justin Rutledge at the Horseshoe Tavern on May 5. $17.50.
- Grouplove at the Wrongbar on May 9. $18.00.
- Maine at the Phoenix on May 9. $23.50.
- Never Say Never at the Mod Club on May 9. $25.00.
- Allen Stone at the Mod Club on May 11. $18.50.
- Mark Langean at the Mod Club on May 15. $21.00.
- Rat Scabies and Brian James at Lee's Palace on May 17. $14.50.
- One Direction at the Molson Amphitheatre on May 29. $30 - $60.
- Radiohead with Caribou on June 16 at Downsview Park. $81.00
- Laura Marling at the Phoenix on June 17. $25.00
- LMFAO with Far East Movement and more at the Molson Amphitheatre on July 4. $34.50 - 69.50.
- tUnE-yArDs at the Phoenix on August 1. $21.00.
- The Black Keys with The Shins at the Molson Amphitheatre on August 4. $35.00 - $.59.50.
- Justice & M83 with Austra and Buraka Som Sistema at Fort York:Garrison Common on August 4. $49.00 (+s.c.).
- Il Volo at the Sony Centre for the Performing Arts on August 25. Price TBA.
- Gordon Lightfoot at Massey Hall from November 14 - November 17. $45.00 - 85.00.
For more music listings, head on over to our events calendar.
Have an event you'd like us to plug? Submit your own listing to the blogTO events calendar.
Photo of Nada Surf courtesy of _fxr on Flickr.