Hot Ticket: Ingrid Michaelson, Pearl and the Beard, The Cribs, Of Monsters and Men, Lay Low, Said the Whale, Trampled by Turtles
Live music picks for TUESDAY APRIL 10 through SUNDAY APRIL 15, 2012.
TUESDAY APRIL 10 / INGRID MICHAELSON / THE PHOENIX / 410 SHERBOURNE / $27.50 / ALL AGES
There are many folks out there who might dismiss Ingrid Michaelson and her indie-pop tunes as nothing more than typical, generic fluff. I'm not one of those people, however, and in fact, I'm quite the fan of Michaelson. She has a certain sweet yet feisty charm, and she's very talented at what she does. Hell, I tried to get tickets to this show for the wife and I two months ago, and it was already sold out, so she's apparently earned quite the following. Pearl and the Beard will open.
WEDNESDAY APRIL 11 / THE CRIBS / LEE'S PALACE / 529 BLOOR W / $21.88 / 19+
While they've been compared to more well-known bands such as The Libertines and Pavement, there's no denying the total awesomeness and uniqueness of The Cribs. Comprised of twin brothers Gary and Ryan Jarman, and their younger brother Ross, the band has been together for the better part of a decade, and is set to release their fourth album, In the Belly of the Brazen Bull, next month.
THURSDAY APRIL 12 / OF MONSTERS AND MEN / THE PHOENIX / 410 SHERBOURNE / $15 / ALL AGES
If you like your music a little folksy, with instruments such as accordions and glockenspiels in addition to guitars, bass, and drums, than this is the show for you. Iceland's Of Monsters and Men are currently in the midst of their first North American tour to support the Western release of their debut album, My Head is an Animal. Good luck getting tickets, though - apparently, it's been sold out for a while. Lay Low, also from Iceland, will offer support.
FRIDAY APRIL 13 / SAID THE WHALE / THE GREAT HALL / 1087 QUEEN W / $20 / ALL AGES
Vancouver's indie-rock darlings Said the Whale have had one hell of a run over the last couple of years. They've received near-universal acclaim, won a Juno award, been the subject of a CBC documentary, and are fresh off the release of their latest offering, Little Mountain. 20 bucks for a band of this caliber is one hell of a deal, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if it was already sold out. If you can get tickets, you owe it to yourself to do so.
SUNDAY APRIL 15 / TRAMPLED BY TURTLES / LEE'S PALACE / 529 BLOOR W / $25 / 19+
Anyone who reads the Hot Ticket on a regular basis knows that I'm a big fan of alt-country/folk bands. In that respect, stumbling across Trampled by Turtles while putting together this week's blog was a very pleasant surprise. The band has gained a reputation for putting on high-energy shows that can get the crowd stomping their feet, and one listen to their stuff makes it easy to see why. And they do an absolutely killer cover of "Where is My Mind?" by The Pixies. Here's hoping they work that one into their set.
RECENTLY ANNOUNCED CONCERTS
- Laidback Luke at the Hoxton on April 12. $25.00.
- Kaiser Chiefs at the Opera House on April 17. $35.50.
- Tanlines at the Wrongbar on April 17. $10.50.
- Nick Lowe at the Phoenix on April 23. $34.00.
- Acid Mothers Temple at the Garrison on April 26. $15.00.
- Dragon Ritual Drummers at the El Mocambo on April 27. $10.00.
- Frankie Rose at Parts & Labor on May 2. $11.50.
- Fortune at the Garrison on May 3. $12.50.
- Eleanor Friedberger at the Garrison on May 4. $15.00
- Justin Rutledge at the Horseshoe Tavern on May 5. $17.50.
- Grouplove at the Wrongbar on May 9. $18.00.
- Maine at the Phoenix on May 9. $23.50.
- Never Say Never at the Mod Club on May 9. $25.00.
- Allen Stone at the Mod Club on May 11. $18.50.
- Mark Langean at the Mod Club on May 15. $21.00.
- Rat Scabies and Brian James at Lee's Palace on May 17. $14.50.
- One Direction at the Molson Amphitheatre on May 29. $30 - $60.
- Radiohead with Caribou on June 16 at Downsview Park. $81.00
- Laura Marling at the Phoenix on June 17. $25.00
- LMFAO with Far East Movement and more at the Molson Amphitheatre on July 4. $34.50 - 69.50.
- tUnE-yArDs at the Phoenix on August 1. $21.00.
- The Black Keys with The Shins at the Molson Amphitheatre on August 4. $35.00 - $.59.50.
- Justice & M83 with Austra and Buraka Som Sistema at Fort York:Garrison Common on August 4. $49.00 (+s.c.).
- Il Volo at the Sony Centre for the Performing Arts on August 25. Price TBA.
- Gordon Lightfoot at Massey Hall from November 14 - November 17. $45.00 - 85.00.
For more music listings, head on over to our events calendar.
Have an event you'd like us to plug? Submit your own listing to the blogTO events calendar.
Photo of Ingrid Michaelson courtesy of Martijn vdS on Flickr.