Morning Brew: Scarborough gets a short, cheap subway, Matlow pitches free outdoor Wi-Fi, Peruzza wants truck ban, we love jaywalking, and Bautista out for the season
Scarborough looks set to get its subway, albeit one shorter than originally proposed by the city. At a media event today, Ontario Transportation Minister Glen Murray said the province would fund a $1.3 billion, 6.4 km extension of the Bloor-Danforth line to Scarborough Centre, largely following the existing SRT route but with fewer stops. "We are not asking for any money from the city, we are not asking for any money from the federal government," he said.
Murray used the press conference to attack Rob Ford, who he said was all talk on subways and had failed to deliver results, saying the Liberals are the "only ones" funding new transit. Despite Murray's finger-pointing, Ford took the subway announcement as a victory. "Over the last four years, I have fought against the LRT for a subway to Scarborough -- because that is what Scarborough residents asked me to do," he said.
Cllr. Josh Matlow wants free Wi-Fi in Toronto's public parks and outdoor spaces. In a letter to the Economic Development Committee, Matlow suggests the city follow in the footsteps of Chicago and New York City where free Internet is provided through agreements with the private sector. Toronto's Internet would come from the city and Toronto Hydro, he says. Good idea?
A Toronto city councillor wants to ban large trucks from school zones in the wake of the tragic death of Violet Liang earlier this week. Cllr. Anthony Perruzza says heavy traffic should be restricted close to schools when students arrive and leave. 14-year-old Liang was struck by a large truck on her way to school on Tuesday morning.
Jaywalking is alive and well in Toronto, according to the latest police data. 9,000 people were ticketed for crossing streets mid-block, running to the other side when the red hand sign is flashing, and other invasions of the vehicular realm. The 9,310 tickets issued between January 2012 and June 2013 accrued $473,935 in fines, according to the Star.
One thing we're not so happy to do is give non-citizens a vote in municipal elections. More than half of people polled by Forum Research are against giving voting rights to permanent residents. City council voted in June to extend suffrage to the 250,000 non-citizens living in Toronto but is still waiting on an answer.
Finally, Jose Bautista will play no further part in the Jays' limp to the finish. The team has decided to shut down the outfielder for the remaining 23 games because of a bone bruise in his left him. The slugging right-fielder says he'll be back in time for spring training in February.
- Toronto toddler rushed to hospital after falling from apartment building [Toronto Star]
- Boy, 4, missing from school found safe [Toronto Sun]
- East-end Toronto shooting leaves man with life-threatening injuries [CBC]
- Struggling Toronto FC fires president, GM Kevin Payne: report [CBC]
Chris Bateman is a staff writer at blogTO. Follow him on Twitter at @chrisbateman.