Tuesday, September 16, 2014Partly Cloudy 10°C
MB Toronto

Morning Brew: Council charts a way ahead minus Ford, bike lanes for Adelaide and Richmond, street planning post-Gardiner, and Leafs haters reach outer space

Posted by Chris Bateman / January 8, 2013

toronto st andrew stationNow that the dust has settled on Rob Ford's appeal hearing, all the talk is about what would happen if judges declare council's top seat vacant. The only thing that's certain under that scenario is that Deputy Mayor Doug Holyday would become interim mayor - after that, council must hold a by-election or appoint someone from within to take over until 2014. What do you think is the fairest approach?

An east-west separated bike lane has long been a goal of cycling advocates in Toronto and now thanks to a soon-to-be-completed environmental study it could be about to become a reality. If the results are as expected, a separated lane on Adelaide or Richmond could link Bathurst and Sherbourne streets.

Torontonians should be careful what it wishes for when they talk about tearing down the Gardiner, says Spacing's John Lorinc. Lake Shore Boulevard east of the Don River - with its big-box stores, heavy traffic, and lack of sidewalk business - is an example of how not to build a thriving street post elevated expressway, he argues. How could we avoid the same mistake downtowns?

Waterloo police seeking Jonathan Gushue, a chef missing in Toronto since New Year's Eve, say they need the public's help finding the husband and father of two. Gushue, the top cook at Langdon Hall Country House Hotel and Spa, hasn't contacted his family since Dec. 31 and may be using the name Jonathan Herder.

Turns out being a Leafs fan still sucks in space. Commander Chris Hadfield, the Canadian rep on the International Space Station, tweeted a self-portrait with a Maple Leafs poster high above the Earth yesterday only to be immediately panned for his choice of team. One MP pointed out the moon landing was more recent than the last Leafs cup win. Ouch.

IN BRIEF:

Chris Bateman is a staff writer at blogTO. Follow him on Twitter at @chrisbateman.

Photo: "For A Minute" by monkeyseemonkeypoo from the blogTO Flickr pool.

notahipster / January 8, 2013 at 08:12 am
steve / January 8, 2013 at 08:19 am
Council should just appoint Ford back in as mayor. That way we save the cost of a by election and put this silly waste of time behind us
DL replying to a comment from steve / January 8, 2013 at 08:40 am
I agree. The people voted him in, and even some of his opponents on council are saying this is a colossal waste of time. Election season will be in full swing this time next year, might as well just suck it up for another 12 months.
matts / January 8, 2013 at 08:51 am
Wow, the redeck crowd is up early today, lines at Tim's were short this morning, I guess? Holyday's appointment is my bet...
M!k3 / January 8, 2013 at 08:54 am
Silly waste of time?

Ford considered reading the Code of Conduct a waste of time... had he done that (he can't even do that?!) he would have saved us all, including himself, the time.

Silly laws with their silly requirements and penalties... bi-election or not, "We the People" deserve the chance to vote him out. I've never been more excited about voting municiple.
Al / January 8, 2013 at 09:10 am
If the majority of Council voted to exonerate him of the initial conflict, knowing that he had advocated for and was voting for exoneration, I don't see how they could turn around and vote him out of office for it.
steve replying to a comment from Al / January 8, 2013 at 09:34 am
HUH? You do realize council is not a court of law. They did not kick Rob Ford out of office. A court of law did.
Ford4ever replying to a comment from notahipster / January 8, 2013 at 09:38 am
"Lets hold a bi-election so we the people can vote ford right back in where he needs to be!"

Er, I doubt the bi community will vote Ford back in, frankly.
the lemur replying to a comment from Al / January 8, 2013 at 09:49 am
A majority of council DIDN'T vote to exonerate him. The result of the council vote was to make him pay back the contributions to his football foundation.
Aaron / January 8, 2013 at 10:04 am
Whether it's a by-election or an appointment, I can't wait till he's gone. The guy had lobbyists donating thousands of dollars to his personal charity. We all know they weren't doing that out of the kindness of their hearts. It's exactly the kind of influence peddling that should get someone thrown out of office.
Alex / January 8, 2013 at 10:20 am
Just appoint Holyday mayor until the term ends, he's already deputy mayor. Didn't he do the whole contract negotiation thing too? I thought he already basically did all the hard work of mayor.
mar / January 8, 2013 at 10:37 am
I can't believe this is still a discussion! the point of deputy mayors position is to step in if the mayor is unable to perform his duties. If that ends up being the case then naturally doug holyday should step in its such a no-brainer. that said if Doug Ford was deputy mayor i might feel differently, lol
Chris replying to a comment from Alex / January 8, 2013 at 10:44 am
That's the irony of this whole push to keep Ford in office - Holyday and Del Grande are really the ones who did the heavy lifting to push Ford's cost-cutting agenda forward. All Robbie did was go on his radio show and rant about the injustice of paying 5 cents for plastic bags, the tragedy of commuters on Jarvis taking 3 minutes longer to get to and from work because of the bike lanes, or how Scarborough wants subways to nowhere that no one is going to pay for.

Fact is, he had little to do with the few "accomplishments" his administration has achieved thus far: he mostly tuned out of the labour negotiations and the budget deliberations. Heck he even left the garbage privatization negotiations mostly to Denzil Minnan-Wong to handle.

In other words, Ford being out of office will probably be the best thing for his cost-control agenda moving forward as Council can get to work on making the hard decisions without the constant distractions that Ford brings to his "work".

It may not be ideal, but its not often you get such an opportunity to so quickly fix such a big mistake.
Jacob replying to a comment from matts / January 8, 2013 at 11:15 am
Ford Nation Damage Control is in full effect. That's why you're gonna see comment sections fill up quickly.
Judge Judy / January 8, 2013 at 11:20 am
Gushue missing? Nahhh. He's just a selfish drunkard. Calls home says he's having dinner with a "friend", never bothers to go home, checks into a hotel for 2 days, never calls home, checks out, takes off somewhere. Piece o' crap.
Democracy / January 8, 2013 at 12:14 pm
This is a democracy let the people decided who they want in the mayors chair. This is what scares the downtowners the most, they know rob ford would win again. The left seems to have a hard fielding anyone to run against ford, why is thatÉ
Chris / January 8, 2013 at 12:45 pm
Yep, you can always spot the Ford trolls - their comments amount to little more than the talking points they get from Towhey. The only thought put into them was in finding the letters on the keyboard (which as you can see from many of those comments, is more challenging than it looks).
Jill replying to a comment from Chris / January 8, 2013 at 12:47 pm
And you are no better then them. By calling them names and throwing mud back at them.
Mark replying to a comment from Chris / January 8, 2013 at 01:00 pm
How much does Adam Vaughan pay you to attack Ford everyday. I hope it is worth it.
Alex replying to a comment from Judge Judy / January 8, 2013 at 01:01 pm
Totally agreed. The wife won't disclose the name of the friend. He probably takes off on benders all the time and she's embarassed. Took her nearly 3 days to report him missing; I don't think she cares *that* much. If he's dead, she'll get insurance. If they split, she'll get alimony. Win-Win.
AV replying to a comment from Mark / January 8, 2013 at 01:41 pm
Vaughan is too busy doing the job he was elected to do (read: not coach football) to be paying astroturfers ya turd
Mark replying to a comment from AV / January 8, 2013 at 02:15 pm
I see Vaughan's check to you cleared this week.
AV replying to a comment from Mark / January 8, 2013 at 03:08 pm
Sometimes I wonder why you're still single Mark Towhey, then you open your mouth and I open my eyes.
Mark replying to a comment from AV / January 8, 2013 at 03:36 pm
Oh, is this the real Adam Vaughan? AV. Makes sense. No one else would be dumb enough to publicly fellate Adam Vaughan but himself. Probably too dumb to come up with a fake name so you just use your initials huh?
Mark replying to a comment from AV / January 8, 2013 at 03:42 pm
Admit it, you have a crush on me!
LOLMarkTowhey replying to a comment from Mark / January 8, 2013 at 09:10 pm
LOL Mark... talking about something other than the actual discussion again. First it was bringing up Olivia Chow's name to deflect attention the other day. Today it's bringing up Adam Vaughan. You know nothing about the people arguing here other than the fact they are not Ford supporters.

Being anti-Ford does not make one a supporter of Olivia Chow or Adam Vaughan.

Rob Ford is the worst thing to happen to this city, but you know what? I'd also rather not see Adam Vaughan or Olivia Chow as mayor too. Considering who you work for, I assume your brain just can't comprehend this, but it's actually true!

When he's no longer mayor, maybe you can go with him back to the sticker factory and get a job as a supervisor!

Mark replying to a comment from LOLMarkTowhey / January 8, 2013 at 11:16 pm
Nice to know I have a fan club here, and AV has a crush on me.
LOLMarkTowhey / January 8, 2013 at 11:56 pm
It's funny how people like you tell others to get a "real job".

Do you consider yourself a productive member of society as a paid troll, Mark? Do you think society values the work that you do?
Mark replying to a comment from LOLMarkTowhey / January 9, 2013 at 07:00 am
Was this typed from the basement of your parent's house?
Me replying to a comment from Alex / January 9, 2013 at 08:15 am
Maybe she's the reason he left.
Mark replying to a comment from LOLMarkTowhey / January 9, 2013 at 09:24 am
Another lonely night eh Adam? Posting at midnight? Get a life.
LOLMarkTowhey replying to a comment from Mark / January 9, 2013 at 10:03 am
Yes it was! I'm anti-Ford therefore I have no job and I live in my parent's basement at 45 years of age. I also ride a bike and drink Starbucks with a welfare cheque. My clothes are fabulous (also with my welfare cheque).

Seriously Mark. Do you ever contribute anything to any discussion on this site, or just not smart enough to have an argument? You never seem to answer any questions when people ask you something.

Without pointing in another direction again, can you please tell me if you seriously consider yourself a productive member of society, and do you think society values the work you do providing advice to a simpleton who has stalled progress in our fine city?
Mark replying to a comment from LOLMarkTowhey / January 9, 2013 at 11:03 am
You are a good example why we need to over haul the welfare system. leeches.
Mark replying to a comment from LOLMarkTowhey / January 9, 2013 at 11:26 am
What do you contribute besides posting snarky comments on a blog. Do you have a job? Do you actually pay taxes? I suspect you are a hipster moron who spends your day on your computer trying to think of funny comments to post and yet your material is aways the same. You are a loser and a leech. Get a life.
Mark / January 9, 2013 at 11:50 am
More productive than you. I actually contribute to society. Not a leech like you.
LOLMarkTowhey replying to a comment from Mark / January 9, 2013 at 12:12 pm
Thank you for finally (indirectly) answering my question. You obviously don't consider yourself a productive member of society, and agree that society doesn't value your work, since you won't answer the question.

To answer your question, why yes i do have a job. I'm a hard working citizen on my lunch break at my well paying 9-5er in a nice office. I don't really care for hipsters either. I was never making any attempts to be funny in my comments. They were just simple questions.

As Chief of Staff for Rob Ford, does that mean that my taxes pay your salary? I think you sir are the one leeching off of us, spending your day trolling various websites and not adding any value to any discussions.

Get back to work, troll. You're wasting my taxpayer dollars.
Mark replying to a comment from LOLMarkTowhey / January 9, 2013 at 02:01 pm
Why do you assume I'm Mark Towhey? There are 2.5 million people in Toronto, more than one might be named Mark. You are projecting as that is what leeches do. Your job and office probably consist of your parent's basement browsing NOW magazine looking for someone who will touch you.