Friday, September 19, 2014Mostly Cloudy 6°C
MB Toronto

Morning Brew: Rob Ford appears in court, arrest over Jarvis protests, OLG hints at GTA casino, gay penguins go straight, Jays make monster trade, and fixing the Fox

Posted by Chris Bateman / November 14, 2012

toronto spadina streetcarRob Ford is due back in court later this week for the continuation of his $6 million libel trial. Yesterday, the mayor's legal team argued Ford's controversial comments about a lease awarded to restaurateur George Foulidis, the owner of the Boardwalk Pub in the Beaches, were in the public interest. There is a gap in proceedings today and tomorrow because the mayor is unavailable. The Star reports there's an important football game Thursday.

A man was arrested yesterday for continuing to protest the removal of the Jarvis Street bike lanes. Tomislav Svoboda, a physician, was peacefully taken into custody charged with obstructing a police officer and mischief. The removal of the north-south lanes continue...

Also in bikes, a 38-year-old cyclist is in a critical condition after apparently being run over by a garbage truck at Yonge and Gerrard yesterday. According to witnesses, the Green for Life vehicle initially left the scene but later returned. No arrests have been made.

OLG says it could gain even more money by building a casino somewhere in the GTA. The provincial gaming group says lower taxes and greater convenience outside the city could lead to Toronto losing its proposed casino. Scared?

Two apparently gay African penguins at Toronto Zoo are now straight, or very good fakers, according to officials. The once inseparable male pair have produced eggs with new female partners, possibly putting an end to their brief love affair. No word yet on whether the mating is a sham.

There are reports the Blue Jays have made a whopping trade with the Miami Marlins. Out goes Henderson Alvarez, Anthony DeSclafan, Justin Nicolino, Jake Marisnick, Yunel Escobar, Adeiny Hechavarria, and backup catcher Jeff Mathis. In comes Josh Johnson, Mark Buehrle, Jose Reyes, catcher John Buck, possibly, Emilio Bonifacio. Experts think this one's a winner but there's been no confirmation yet.

TVO has cancelled Saturday Night at the Movies and cut almost 40 jobs in an attempt to focus more on digital technology. Will you miss the movies on TVO or did you get your flicks elsewhere?

The Fox Theatre in the Beaches underwent extensive renovations in 2007 that included new seats, refurbished signs, and better snack facilities. In a new video, the owners talk about fixing the Fox and running a rep theatre in Toronto.

IN BRIEF:

Photos: "New streetcar tracks on Spadina" by jer1961 from the blogTO Flickr pool.

K. / November 14, 2012 at 08:46 am
Elwy Yost is rolling in his grave. TVO dropped the ball on SNatM.
Steve F / November 14, 2012 at 08:54 am
Everyone complaining about the loss of SNATM: When was the last time you actually watched it? Raising shit for nostalgia isn't progress; TVO moving towards digital distribution is.
Powa!!! / November 14, 2012 at 09:22 am
Imagine the power of being able to skip court to go to a football game. I hope future lawyers argue for this precedence in the future so that the common man can skip court to coach a football team or other volunteer work.
Picard102 / November 14, 2012 at 09:23 am
Don't pass vehicles on the right when cycling.
Powa!!! / November 14, 2012 at 09:26 am
I feel horrible for this woman crushed by the truck. Remember people; always pass on the left
Chris on Bay St / November 14, 2012 at 09:36 am
How can Toronto cyclists be so unaware of their surroundings. Ride up beside the wheels of a 5-ton truck and hope for the best, eh? I am a 24/7 pedestrian and unfortunately I see this all the time.
Jacob replying to a comment from Powa!!! / November 14, 2012 at 09:39 am
Remember: It's for the public good. Ford's the only guy who can control those kids, and god knows what they'd get up to without him there.
Aaron / November 14, 2012 at 09:57 am
People are being too quick to blame the cyclist in these comments. How do you know that she wasn't in front of the truck already waiting at the lights when it pulled up and turned? The article states that the truck "showed clear signs of front-end damage", implying that she was likely hit from behind. And another question: was the truck signalling to turn right? There's a bike lane on Gerrard, so if the truck wasn't signalling the correct thing for the cyclist to do is to proceed all the way to the intersection.

I'm not saying it's the driver's fault, the evidence that I've heard just isn't clear, but the rush to blame the cyclist is disconcerting. The real solution to these tragedies is quality cycling infrastructure and side guards on trucks.
mike in parkdale replying to a comment from Steve F / November 14, 2012 at 09:57 am
"Everyone complaining about the loss of SNATM: When was the last time you actually watched it?"

within the last two months.

I don't think it's just a case of nostalgia for a long running program - it's more proof that the modern attention span can't focus on anything longer than 22 minutes. SNATM is clearly from a different time, and not just because of the films they play.
Bradley replying to a comment from Steve F / November 14, 2012 at 10:11 am

Saturday night: I watched "The Quiet American" and my wife loved "Margot". And next Saturday is "Punch Drunk Love". I always check what's on SNATM.
Craig / November 14, 2012 at 10:32 am
I used to love watching SNATM, but lately the movies they've been showing don't appeal to me. I do watch a lot of their other evening shows. I am glad that a lot of their content is available online too, for when I miss shows or want to catch up on previous episodes.
Jane / November 14, 2012 at 11:41 am
I loved SNATM! Probably watched once a month? Usually ended up watching a movie I would never have picked out on my own. Sad day.
CanoeDave / November 14, 2012 at 12:20 pm
I am still pissed off with the Tuggs contract and why there was never an explanation of why City Staff's recommendation for an open tender was somehow squashed. After the MFP inquiry this sort of sleazy, untransparent public procurement was supposed to stop and Ford at the time was hardly the only one who was outraged by the slime of a 20 years monopoly contract to print money in a huge public park going to a political backer of the local Councillor. Smacks of municipal corruption indeed and go ahead and sue me for stating the obvious.
hop / November 14, 2012 at 01:04 pm
I loved Saturday Night at the Movies, but lately I've been more drawn to TCM's Essentials program that airs in the same timeslot and I hated the format change they ushered in about two years ago when Thom Ernst became producer and host. Instead of focusing on movies through a critical, filmic eye (like they used to) they tended to focus on the subject matter. For instance, they would show two movies about mental health issues and then on the Interviews segment they would interview a mental health specialist who had nothing to do with the movies. That left a bad taste in my mouth as it made the films that they showed chintzy, moralistic after-school type programming.

Over the years, I discovered some of my favourite films through SNAM, Chungking Express, Cache, The Straight Story, Running on Empty, Eagle vs. Shark, Citizen Ruth, If...., and many more. Plus I finally got to watch The Shining uncut and unedited after years of catching reruns on the old TBS and AMC and neglecting to rent it.

This day would be sadder if it weren't for the Jays trade. Great work by AA and it will improve the Jays in more ways than one. But as a baseball fan you've got to feel a little uneasy as to what's happening down in Little Havana. How Jeffrey Loria stil holds a job in baseball is unfathomable.
David / November 14, 2012 at 07:03 pm
Very sad about the cyclist, but the circumstances are murky. Presumably, the cyclist and the truck were beside each other at the SW corner of Yonge & Gerrard, the circumstances of how they arrived there is the question.

Was the cyclist at the intersection and overtaken by the truck who planned to turn right?

Was the truck at the intersection and the cyclist came up on the right?
In this case was or was not the truck signalling a right turn.

A tragedy, but determining the circumstances is a challenge for the police.
Gabe replying to a comment from K. / November 14, 2012 at 07:29 pm
I watched SNAM but was really getting tired of the repeat broadcasts and interviews. It turned into a new host introducing the same night of movies I watched 10 years ago.
Steve F replying to a comment from mike in parkdale / November 15, 2012 at 09:13 am
"it's more proof that the modern attention span can't focus on anything longer than 22 minutes"

Or it's proof that we consume our media in a different way.