Monday, November 24, 2014Showers in the Vicinity 13°C
MB Toronto

Morning Brew: Council signs off on LRTs, Ford bails on meeting, mayor's list led to appointments, Mr Christie to stop baking, shady sidewalk signs, and riding to Pearson

Posted by Chris Bateman / November 2, 2012

toronto ocad uCity council officially approved a light rail transit scheme for Toronto, which includes lines on Eglinton, Sheppard, and Finch, and a revamped Scarborough RT. Though the plan was essentially already in place, it still needed the final, formal approval from the city. A signed master agreement means (though don't put money on it) an end to subway vs. LRT debates.

Rob Ford left yesterday's council meeting to coach his high school football team, the Don Bosco Eagles. The match ended in a fight between the coach of the opposing team and the referees, prompting someone to call the TTC for a private bus ride home for the Eagles. TTC spokesman Brad Ross told The Star that the Commission provides shelter busses in the event of an emergency. Is this an acceptable use of that service?

Almost all of the 26 preferred candidates on Rob Ford's list of candidates for civic board duty were interviewed or given a position, according to The Star. Councillor Mike Layton said a check of the names revealed the candidates contributed more than $11,000 to Rob Ford's 2010 election campaign.

Mr Christie won't be baking up anything sweet in Toronto's west end as of fall next year. The company announced yesterday it's planning to close its Lake Shore Boulevard and Park Lawn Road factory, citing aging infrastructure and changes to the neighbourhood. The factory has been on the site since 1948 and employs 550 people.

Just 41 of the countless a-frame sandwich boards outside Toronto's businesses are actually legal, according to the city's licensing and standards department. Weird, right? The signs are sometimes an obstacle for people with visual impairments and there's likely thousands of them on sidewalks across Toronto.

Think your boss is overbearing? A Bay Street law firm has introduced fingerprint scanning technology to track its employees during the course of a normal work day. Apparently too many three-hour lunch breaks prompted management to set up the system.

Finally, anyone that's stood in a freezing bus shelter waiting for a jerky, uncomfortable ride on the airport bus will have have considered taking just about any other kind of transport. One thing you may not have considered: riding a bike.

IN OTHER NEWS:

Photo: "Autumn Construction around OCAD pt.2" by GregoryIV in the blogTO Flickr pool.

kim / November 2, 2012 at 08:49 am
God, Ford is embarrassing
poh / November 2, 2012 at 08:49 am
A common thing among people from the Western reaches of the city and GTA when travelling down the Gardiner towards Downtown was to roll down the windows and try to smell the baked goods emanating from Christie's, though I'm pretty all we really smelled was the chemicals and preservatives they use in those cookies.
Ford4ever replying to a comment from poh / November 2, 2012 at 08:56 am
Yup, we love that west wind. It says Eat Me.
Ben / November 2, 2012 at 09:12 am
So these people who Ford got the jobs through entirely shady means are going to be fired, right?
Marc replying to a comment from Ben / November 2, 2012 at 09:29 am
It seems to be that there is nothing you can do to get fired once elected to a municipal job around here.

I know if I went on the radio and talked about my co-workers and colleagues like ford, I'd get fired.

I can't believe we're going to have to deal with two more years of this behaviour.
Baked / November 2, 2012 at 09:37 am

Terrible about the job losses at the Christie plant. But they make terrible cookies.
JM replying to a comment from Marc / November 2, 2012 at 09:39 am
and by 'behaviour', you mean 'asshole'.
Chris / November 2, 2012 at 09:53 am
I for one am looking forward to "Mark"'s inevitable comment blaming any criticism of Ford on the "whining lefties" from Council and the left-wing media conspiracy being led by the Star.

As with all Ford apologists, he'll no doubt blame anyone and everyone else for this being an "issue" - you know, because its apparently unreasonable to expect your mayor to prioritize his JOB over coaching a high school football team.

Marc replying to a comment from JM / November 2, 2012 at 09:54 am
I don't expect everyone to be a pleasant person 100% of the time. I'd be comfortable having an asshole mayor as long as he showed up for work, did the job, and at least had a train of thought that connected dots logically - even if I disagreed with everything he said.

Maybe I'm setting the bar too low, but I would like our next mayor to show up for work, and have valid, arguably logical talking points instead of just shouting random, angry gibberish at anyone who will listen.
Welshgrrl / November 2, 2012 at 10:00 am
A rabid monkey randomly flinging his diarrhea at all and sundry would be a more effective mayor than Ford at this point
Aaron / November 2, 2012 at 10:04 am
So what started the brawl? Were the kids on the other team upset to be playing against the only high school football team in Toronto that's funded by the mayor's office budget?
Mark / November 2, 2012 at 10:07 am
Sorry to disappoint you Chris but I have never defended Ford's abandonment of council to coach football. I think it is admirable that he volunteers his spare time to do this but council meetings aren't spare time. Unlike you I don't blindly support my side.
Brandon / November 2, 2012 at 10:11 am
Next time I walk through Chinatown I'm going to make it my duty to knock over as many of those damn annoying signs as possible.
sandwich replying to a comment from Brandon / November 2, 2012 at 10:13 am
You have to leave 41 of them still-standing.
G-R-A-V-Y / November 2, 2012 at 10:17 am
*points to the TTC escape vehicle*
Gravy, Rob! Gravy!
marlon replying to a comment from Mark / November 2, 2012 at 10:17 am
That's fair. Now how do you feel about Ford going to the province to get his team's field improved, or getting the street that his business is located on prioritized. or the list filled with campaign contributors to be appointed? I'm glad him skipping his job upset you but is the rest of this stuff okay?
Chris replying to a comment from Mark / November 2, 2012 at 10:22 am
I find it amazing Mark, how your comments can sometimes almost make you sound like a reasonble person, until you inevitably have to ruin it with a cheap partisan dig. Funny how you think its me who "blindly supports his side" when on one hand you claim not to defend his actions (or lack thereof) and then still can't reist taking a shot at me for simply articulating that. But that's fine - I can handle it, because I'm not trying to defend the indefensible.

I can understand your frustration though - it must be tough realizing that you're so ineffective at your job that you can't even persuade the Mayor to do his. Have a nice day.

WOW replying to a comment from Mark / November 2, 2012 at 10:31 am
WOW the world must be ending in December.
Mark replying to a comment from marlon / November 2, 2012 at 10:42 am
I'm fine with the mayor asking the city to make necessary improvements for roads where ever they may be needed. Should the road around the mayor's family's business go unattendend simply because of their family connection?

As for hiring people he wants I also have no problem. Not like other mayors didn't hire their cronies. I'm sure all our former mayors never had any input at all as to who should fill key positions. I'm sure it was just by happy coincidence that most bureaucratic positions were just miraculously filled by people who supported the other mayor's agendas. If your bureaucracy is working against you it is impossible to get things done. See the delay regarding the Gardiner report.
Mark replying to a comment from Chris / November 2, 2012 at 10:43 am
When I see you criticize anything Adam Vaughan or Mike Layton say or do I'll retract my 'blindly support' comment.
WTF? replying to a comment from Mark / November 2, 2012 at 11:04 am
You clearly are an idiot.
marlon replying to a comment from Mark / November 2, 2012 at 12:03 pm
Mark family connections or not, the property should wait its turn just like everyone else. You can say that previous mayors have stacked bureaucratic positions in the past but you are touting a theory with zero examples. Ford's stacking the positions is fact with proof so I hope you are able to see the difference. Also, do you believe any other football team would have had a bus cleared so that they could get a ride home? is this common practice? or is this more of ford using is position of power for personal gain?
Jacob / November 2, 2012 at 12:09 pm
Every week a new Ford problem.

I can't wait for the judicial ruling on Ford's conflict of interest case. How long was that supposed to take, anyway?
Wieners / November 2, 2012 at 01:23 pm
Hey Morning Brew, specifically Bateman, try sourcing your news from the Globe for once. Are you're panties still in a knot over a paved road? Who really gives a fuck, you can dig up dirt on any mayor out there. Bunch of chicken littles, man up and make a difference yourselves instead of picking away at anyone you don't agree with.
Hips / November 2, 2012 at 01:26 pm
The only ppl that post on MB are jealous hipsters.
Jeremy replying to a comment from Wieners / November 2, 2012 at 03:23 pm
They used to more often. It's probably the paywall that's stopping that now. Although personally, I was always able to follow the links using the certain number of free views they give you (not sure how many that is though).
Hogtien replying to a comment from Wieners / November 3, 2012 at 10:23 am
The Globe and Mail handled the Wente and Cato plagiarism cases like buffoons and weeks later put up a pay wall. No surprise the links are less now.