Tuesday, July 29, 2014Mostly Cloudy 15°C
MB Toronto

Posted by Chris Bateman / October 11, 2012

toronto queen yongeLocal residents and private interest groups had a chance to speak on the proposed Toronto casino at City Hall last night. The majority spoke out against the project, citing social problems and the general gaudiness of gambling facilities, but reps from Canadian Gaming Association and Ontario Lottery Gaming Corporation were also in attendance. For some reason, I can't shake the idea that casino lobbyists look like Rich Uncle Pennybags from the Monopoly board game.

Former mayor Mel Lastman says Rob Ford's troubles make the furniture store owner "look like a genius." Speaking at a store opening in Brampton, Lastman told the Toronto Sun that Ford "can't be that stubborn and run a city." High praise indeed.

The man accused of setting the fire that destroyed the former Empress Hotel at Yonge and Gould last year has admitted being responsible for destroying the 125-year-old building. Police are continuing to investigate the crime, possibly to determine whether someone paid Stewart Poirier to destroy the building.

Transit campaigners want to know how drivers would spend an extra 32 minutes a day, the amount of time the already long Toronto commute is expected to grow without new transit lines. It's an interesting way of re-framing the benefits of new subway and light rail for road users but do you think it will work?

Another week, another ranking. According to The Star, Toronto came third behind New York and London in a list of the top 27 cities to live and work. Does that sound right to you? Last year Toronto came second but was dragged south by a poor airport-downtown connection.

An 103-year-old mansion near Casa Loma looks to be in dire straits after Toronto and East York Community Council voted to approve its demolition. The old Nielson mansion at 72 Wells Hill Avenue, once owned by a member of the famous ice cream family, is set to be replaced by a new home.

In other demolition news, residents gathered at a school near Yonge and Eglinton last night to weigh in on the possible sale and demolition of Postal Station "K", a building located on the historic former site of Montgomery's Tavern, a key location in the Upper Canada Rebellion of 1837.

Finally, if you've got time this morning, here's a short 1953 documentary from the National Film Board about the residents of Oak Street in Toronto, home to "verminous walls, unhealthy rooms ... juvenile delinquency, drunkenness and broken marriages," getting access to a new housing development, Regent Park.

MOUSE FOOD:

Photo: "R0020616" by Trevor_Hughes in the blogTO Flickr pool.

Mark / October 11, 2012 at 09:59 am
Only the CBC would think more policing and lower crime is a bad thing. You know what non-criminals do when approached by police? They talk with them and tell them what they are doing out late at night walking the streets. Non-criminals have nothing to hide though. I guess I can see why more police might be a problem for some residents of that area.
Chris replying to a comment from Mark / October 11, 2012 at 10:58 am
Maybe you read a different article than I did (I'm assuming your comment is in reference to the link at the bottom of the MB). Where exactly does it say that the CBC was against more police and lower crime?

The article suggested that some residents of the area were not fond of the added police presence (which I have no comment on, not ever having lived in an area that had, or needed a large and highly visible police presence), but how did you translate that into a CBC bias against more police?
Mark / October 11, 2012 at 11:27 am
Only the CBC would publish such an anti-police, pro-criminal diatribe. Oh no, criminals are complaining about the police presence. Better make that headline news.
the lemur replying to a comment from Mark / October 11, 2012 at 11:46 am
How do you get the idea that 'criminals' are the ones complaining about being stopped, harassed, etc., constantly at night?
Matt replying to a comment from the lemur / October 11, 2012 at 01:19 pm
From the Sun.
Big Fuckin Mega Boat / October 11, 2012 at 01:19 pm
I got a bunch of extra packets of ketsup with my burger and fries the other day if anyone wants them.
Sue-Ann Levy replying to a comment from Mark / October 11, 2012 at 02:27 pm
Couldn't have said it better myself Mark! Damn those pinko bastards... although even I am starting to think that Mayor is pretty bad...
Simon Tarses replying to a comment from Sue-Ann Levy / October 11, 2012 at 02:57 pm
Sue-Ann, please find another era of time to live in one where there's nobody of color, OK? Toronto of the present clearly doesn't suit you.
Mark replying to a comment from the lemur / October 11, 2012 at 03:11 pm
Because law abiding people don't mind if police ask them a couple questions. They have nothing to hide from the police doing needed work in areas of high crime. If RIDE programs are legal and ok then these checks are ok too.
Law Abiding Citizen replying to a comment from Mark / October 11, 2012 at 05:08 pm
I'm a law abiding citizen and I don't want police randomly stopping me for anything.
Mark / October 12, 2012 at 03:13 pm
Then I assume you drive through RIDE checks too then?
Jeremiah / October 15, 2012 at 02:22 pm
I read this article completely about the resemblance of latest and
preceding technologies, it's awesome article.
summer internship / May 24, 2013 at 04:26 am
I tend not to write a leave a response, but I read a bunch of responses here Morning Brew: Residents speak on Toronto casino, Mel Lastman talks Ford, Empress Hotel accused confesses, an extra 32 minutes, and demolishing the Nielson house.
I do have 2 questions for you if you don't mind. Could it be just me or do a few of the remarks come across as if they are left by brain dead people? :-P And, if you are posting at additional sites, I would like to follow you. Would you make a list of all of your social sites like your twitter feed, Facebook page or linkedin profile?