Morning Brew: Aquarium seeks sharks, a cardboard Toronto, the Toasted Tangerine is deadpool, meditating on Bay Street, synth heaven, and Jays snap losing streak
The hunt for sharks to fill Toronto's new aquarium is on. A team of expert biologists is in South Carolina to catch 10 sand tiger sharks for the main tank at Ripley's Aquarium, currently under construction near the CN Tower. Some Elasmobranchs are about to find their world got a whole lot smaller.
Stephen Velasco, cereal box sculptor extraordinaire, has continued to plug away at his remarkable model of Toronto. After three years of work, he's made a highly-detailed replica of Toronto's downtown skyscrapers within the Gardiner Expressway, John Street, Yorkville Avenue and Yonge Street area. Awesome.
The Toasted Tangerine - a popular Toronto food truck that specialized in toasted sandwiches - is, sadly, disappearing from the city's mobile eats scene. A message posted on the company's website announced the news Saturday without giving a reason for the decision.
Finally, synth fans rejoice. Pianocade, a homegrown musical instrument that looks like the unholy offspring of an arcade game and a keyboard, is launching Wednesday in Toronto. Check out the demo video and relive your years spent on the NES or Sega:
IN OTHER NEWS:
- Blue Jays win slugfest against Yankees, avoid sweep [CBC]
- TTC contracts out intercity coach terminal [The Star]
- Charges laid after man allegedly pushed in front of taxi [CBC]
- Omar Comin': The Wire - The Game [The Grid]
- CNE getting ready to open without Ontario Place [The Star]
FROM THE WEEKEND:
- Remembering Gibraltar Point's grisly past
- Projection Booth screens films and now rents them too
- Where to eat Peruvian Chinese food (Chifa) in Toronto
- Get to know a Baker: Allyson Bobbitt and Sarah Bell, Bobbette & Belle
- Dufferin Grove Farmers' Market
- Irish pub about to open in old Real Jerk space
- The Sorauren Farmers' Market
- Where to eat an elevated diner brunch on Queen St.
- Sunday Supplement: Auctioning the Sutton Place Hotel, fixing the Port Lands, and saying farewell to Poetry on the Way
- This Week In Comedy: ALTdot Comedy Lounge, Fraser Young w/Tim Dimond, Muslim and Funny, and Superstars of Comedy
- This Week in Theatre: SummerWorks Festival, The Crucible, Memory In The Mud, Two Gentlemen of Verona, Complete Works Of William Shakespeare