Wednesday, April 23, 2014Partly Cloudy 8°C
MB Toronto

Morning Brew: Aquarium seeks sharks, a cardboard Toronto, the Toasted Tangerine is deadpool, meditating on Bay Street, synth heaven, and Jays snap losing streak

Posted by Chris Bateman / August 13, 2012

toronto sugar beach waterfront umbrellasThe hunt for sharks to fill Toronto's new aquarium is on. A team of expert biologists is in South Carolina to catch 10 sand tiger sharks for the main tank at Ripley's Aquarium, currently under construction near the CN Tower. Some Elasmobranchs are about to find their world got a whole lot smaller.

Stephen Velasco, cereal box sculptor extraordinaire, has continued to plug away at his remarkable model of Toronto. After three years of work, he's made a highly-detailed replica of Toronto's downtown skyscrapers within the Gardiner Expressway, John Street, Yorkville Avenue and Yonge Street area. Awesome.

The Toasted Tangerine - a popular Toronto food truck that specialized in toasted sandwiches - is, sadly, disappearing from the city's mobile eats scene. A message posted on the company's website announced the news Saturday without giving a reason for the decision.

A flash mob of meditating financial workers took over the corner of Bay and King Saturday morning to protest economic mismanagement in the financial sector. A photo of the scene appeared on Reddit.

Finally, synth fans rejoice. Pianocade, a homegrown musical instrument that looks like the unholy offspring of an arcade game and a keyboard, is launching Wednesday in Toronto. Check out the demo video and relive your years spent on the NES or Sega:

IN OTHER NEWS:

FROM THE WEEKEND:

Photo: "Sugar Beach Umbrellas" by magda_lenna in the blogTO Flickr pool.

iSkyscraper / August 13, 2012 at 08:53 am
Here's a headline for you -- Ford's reign of idiocy is so bad, so shockingly stupid, that a paraphrasing of his bumbling actually makes it into a travel article in a New Zealand newspaper:

It's a quick reference and doesn't even include Ford's name, but you don't exactly expect to hear about municipal affairs this deep into the arts and leisure sections of a foreign newspaper...

iSkyscraper / August 13, 2012 at 08:54 am
Sorry, bad link above. Here it is:

iSkyscraper / August 13, 2012 at 08:55 am
Somehow the link keeps getting reformatted. Let's try again:

Rafa / August 13, 2012 at 08:59 am
The aquarium should just ask local Chinese restaurants where they get their supply from...
the lemur replying to a comment from iSkyscraper / August 13, 2012 at 09:11 am
It's also in the Independent:

It's funny (and I wonder how long it'll take for this article to reach Ford's people) but I don't recall him trying to seize control of the waterfront for much longer than his current term as mayor.
Realist (mostly) replying to a comment from iSkyscraper / August 13, 2012 at 09:36 am
It's the semicolon that was killing your link.
iSkyscraper replying to a comment from the lemur / August 13, 2012 at 10:20 am
Yes, the article is clearly some freelance puff piece sold on the international circuit, with stock photos from Toronto Tourism, but it is still remarkable that Ford gets mentioned. And I agree the paraphrasing is way off -- they make it sound like he had some longstanding plan to demolish the Music Garden and the rest of the existing waterfront. (Explaining the Port Lands in one sentence was perhaps a bit much for a travel intro.) They also seem to think Sugar Beach is temporary and recreated every summer with a truckload of sand -- this is the way many urban beaches exist in Europe, so I'll bet dollars to doughnuts the writer is from France or the UK.

BlogTO's comment engine kept inserting that semicolon, no idea why.
Doughnut Dollars replying to a comment from iSkyscraper / August 13, 2012 at 12:24 pm
The author is a semi-popular travel guide author who grew up in Southern Ontario and graduated at the University of Toronto. I'll take those dollars and doughnuts now.
CanoeDave / August 13, 2012 at 01:27 pm
Heh Skyscraper;
I got my garbage picked up by the new contractors and went out and welcomed them aboard. Spoke with a nice aboriginal guy who was happy to have a good paying job. I told them to ignore all the left wing pinko criticism as it was all that could be expected from a gang of union/politico insiders who were bitter that they had lost out on their gouge the taxpayers in exchange for political support scam. Sure is great to have Mayor Ford who’s allegiance is firmly on the side of the all people looking for a job and the taxpayer as opposed to corrupt Mayor Miller who sold out the public interests to the servants no matter how inflated the cost to the City so that only his political backers could get work for the City. But Ford has much more work to do as the Miller made monopoly of the Building Trade Union allies still controls construction and maintenance public tendering and the vast majority of qualified GTA contractors and trades people are discriminated against in getting a job. Our Schools, TCHC and Building infrastructure rots because of the Miller legacy of selling out to his political masters and that must end as well before Toronto can have a fair, accountable and transparent fiscal policy.
Soused / August 13, 2012 at 02:01 pm
Canoe Dave:

According to Ford's own $3 million KMPG audit:
“the vast majority, 96%, of services that report through the Public Works Committee are core municipal services, either mandatory as a result of provincial legislative requirements or essential to the continued operation of the City as an urban area.”

The city was being run extraordinarily well under Miller. Sorry that your worldview dogma would lead you otherwise.
I am regular reader, how are you everybody? This paragraph posted at this web page is really fastidious.
Robert replying to a comment from CanoeDave / August 13, 2012 at 03:35 pm
If you hate Toronto so much why are you living here. I am sure you can find suitable accommodations elsewhere
iSkyscraper / August 13, 2012 at 06:53 pm
DD, I owe you. Do you want Timmies or Dunkin?

CanoeDave, I mentioned in a comment a couple days ago that I have nothing against waste privatization. Since we agree that it is a good idea to apply best-practices learned from other cities I will now wait for you and Ford nation to install bike lanes, light rail, attend pride parades, leave professional planning to the professionals and so on...
David Poul / August 14, 2012 at 03:43 am
You are written important info. It is most important for me. I was looking in this type of news. Thanks for your nice post.
Wedding Limo Toronto . / August 14, 2012 at 03:54 am
Ride the cars that ride the stars! Ride Lavish Limousine. We are the company that celebrities and CEOs prefer and the only transportation company you will ever need.

Wedding Limo Toronto .
hcg homeopathic drops mineral water base 2oz / August 17, 2012 at 11:44 pm
This post gives clear idea designed for the new viewers of blogging,
that truly how to do blogging and site-building.
rajeshkumarngn / August 18, 2012 at 02:56 am
Wedding Limo Toronto : Most stretch limousines, however, operate as livery vehicles, providing upmarket competition to taxicabs. Toronto Wedding Limo
HatfieldSaundra19 / August 18, 2012 at 06:23 am
I like to support students in a minute of embarrassment. Sometimes I aid with research essays accomplishing and sometimes I just format their assignments. I guess that my skills are good enough to be hired by the essay papers uk service.
123.vn mua linh kien may tinh / July 11, 2013 at 03:25 pm
This amazing product provides specialized computing needs for maximum performance.
As compared to today's machines, these computers were slow, usually processing 50 - 220 cards per minute, each card holding about 80 decimal numbers (characters). Sure, it's not tiny and cute, but if I
want tiny and cute I'll use my reasonably new HP duo core laptop, but when I wanna game, and that is what I do to keep from raping and pillaging, then aesthetics mean nothing - performance is everything, and I mean everything.
adana escort / September 15, 2013 at 06:53 pm
It's hard to come by educated people in this particular subject, but you seem
like you know what you're talking about! Thanks