Monday, October 20, 2014Light Rain Shower 11°C
MB Toronto

Morning Brew: photo radar proposed, Kurt Browning had a leaf blower and house fire, Rob Ford to speak about his former drug possession charges, school prinicpal accused of assaulting teacher, deep-fried butter balls coming to the CNE

Posted by Jerrold Litwinenko / August 19, 2010

deep fried butter CNE exPhoto radar. It's a two-word term that doesn't sit well with Ontarians. Remember in the mid-90s, when police had speed detection and license plate photographing equipment in vans that would automatically nab offenders and send them fines in the mail? Scarborough city councillor Norm Kelly isn't calling for a return of this kind of policing, but he is calling for stationary photo radar to be installed on a stretch of road near two schools, where passing drivers are often speeding and putting the lives of students at risk.

Two residential fires caused destruction and loss in Toronto yesterday. A blaze at skating star Kurt Browning's Forest Hill home started in the garage, when he reportedly left his leaf blower unattended for a short time (he was using it to dry the interior of his car; not a good idea evidently). Another fire, in the Ossington & Dupont area, saw an estimated 30 of 40 resident cats succumbed to smoke inhalation after a fire started in the basement of the home.

Mayoral candidate Rob Ford continues to get blasted by his opponents (and others, including Premier Dalton McGuinty) for controversial comments he made about immigration and Toronto. During a televised debate, he said "Right now we can't even deal with the 2.5 million people in this city. I think it is more important to take care of people now before we start bringing in more people." Today, Ford is dealing with another controversial incident -- a 1999 run in with authorities in Florida, where he was arrested for possession of marijuana.

In happened back in June, but we're only learning of the incident now. A male elementary school principal at Golf Road Public School in Scarborough was charged with assaulting a female teacher, and has been on home assignment since. Little has been revealed about what prompted the altercation, but I suppose we'll learn more once the courts wade through the mess.

And just when you thought you heard the ultimate in artery-clogging, nasty-but-tasty treats...here comes...deep-fried butter! The secret recipe will be featured at this year's CNE, and involves freezing a glob of butter and then dipping it in funnel cake batter before frying it in oil and drizzling sweet syrups and icing sugar on top. Whatever you do, please don't also chow on the deep-fried mac & cheese balls and the chocolate-covered bacon. Save them for another visit (or do yourself a favour and have them never).

Photo: "Any takers?" by viaveg, member of the blogTO Flickr pool.

Francois Teatreault / August 19, 2010 at 08:47 am
So I guess the story about Ford being arrested for having a single marijuana cigarette (a misdemeanor in Florida, I believe) is his publicity team's way of appealing to the stoners in Toronto eh?

Daniel / August 19, 2010 at 08:59 am
I agree with Ford that Toronto can't handle another million...at least not all at once. Maybe over the next 20 years.
me replying to a comment from Daniel / August 19, 2010 at 09:15 am
duh dude, clearly another million in Toronto isn't gonna happen all at once, but in the next 10-20 years.
@dandmb50 - Daniel .. Toronto / August 19, 2010 at 09:28 am
<b>@dandmb50</b>
It's funny how the Star closes their comments on this story. They keep shooting <i>Ford</i> down and he keeps swimming above the water line. The more they dis him the better he looks. I don't agree with everything he says, but if he's going to save us money, I like that. And with all this witch hunt, Ford's name is front and centre in the news, and that means one thing.
I haven't decided yet, but Ford keeps looking better and better.

<b><i>Daniel .. Toronto</i></b>
Elizabeth / August 19, 2010 at 10:05 am
That fire near Dupont and Ossington is just a few streets away from me, and there were at least 10 fire trucks and police cars etc. there. We couldn't figure out why there were so many when it looked like a small fire. We also saw quite a few cats on the street last night, more than normal - maybe the survivors who were displaced? So sad that so many died. But how the heck can someone provide adequate care for 30 to 40 cats?? Are the owners being investigated?
BitMedler replying to a comment from @dandmb50 - Daniel .. Toronto / August 19, 2010 at 10:27 am
Damn trolls. Go do real campaigning like actually telling anybody what this idiot is actually GOING to do... what he CAN do... unlike deciding who can settle in Toronto - which is not a municipal issue.

Also, RTFA. For someone so fiscally responsible, Ford can't do math. The plan says quite clearly that Toronto is expected to add only 170,000 new residents in 10 years. 1 million by 2031.

Where are your critical thinking skills? There is no gate around Toronto and as such, this could happen whether he likes it or not and is not an immigration issue but an infrastructure issue and far as I can tell, he has no actual plans - but to piss and moan and appeal to short sighted, knee jerk voters like yourself with no critical thought skills. He's basically a Tea Partier.

And is real good at answering tough questions when he's called on it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8EpSdyB0zY

If you think he's so great, why don't you go park your van by his "DOWN BY THE RIVER!"
Jacob / August 19, 2010 at 10:41 am
Honestly, as much as I don't like Rob Ford, I really think bringing up past marijuana charges against him is stupid.

Toronto is one of the most weed-friendly cities in North America. You can walk down the street on a typical weekend evening and smell it coming from passersby. Every year we have 30,000 people gather to smoke it in Queens Park, without incident, and *no one cares*.
Norton replying to a comment from BitMedler / August 19, 2010 at 11:01 am
BitMedler, you had me going until you made reference to Chris Farley. your non-intellectual immaturity made you lose the credibility you might have had.

speaking of which, since the election has now lowered itself to the issue of past drug use, does that mean Smitherman's cocaine addiction is now fair game?
Paul / August 19, 2010 at 12:43 pm
ROB FORD FOR PRIME MINISTER!... hes got my vote!
Clara / August 19, 2010 at 01:43 pm
his smoking pot clearly makes me want to vote for him! (there is no sarcasm in this comment)
BitMedler replying to a comment from Norton / August 19, 2010 at 02:44 pm
Deary me, I've lost credibility on BlogTO. Have you read the pandering that goes on in these posts - especially over the past few months (looking at you Jerrold)?

Fair enough, I'll admit I may have come across as immature on the very obvious camparison to Farely. However I would also contend that could be quite presumptious on your part - given the undeniable corelation in demeanor contained within the second clip posted - that I'm making a negative comment on Ford's physical appearance, considering you've no idea what I look like.

And I would take that a step further by accusing you of the same dismissiveness contained in said clip given you chose to make a intentionally demeaning comment directed at me to dismiss the valid part of my comment.

That said, I could honestly care less that you have no sense of humour about a non-subject as this is (keeping in mind the point we're argueing about is moot). If people are ignorant enough to vote in a reactionary manner instead of an informed one, they too will suffer tyhe consequences - and likely blame someone else in the end. Just trying to inject some critical thought and a smattering of humour. Chastizing taken. Carry on with your judging. ;)
agentsmith replying to a comment from Jacob / August 19, 2010 at 03:04 pm
No kidding, I've seen people old enough to be my parents smoking weed on their front porch in broad daylight... and this was just off of Avenue Road.

This will blow over very quickly. No one gives a shit about a weed charge in the U.S. from over a decade ago, especially not when his closest rival admits to a former "substance abuse problem".
picard102 replying to a comment from Jacob / August 19, 2010 at 04:27 pm
I'm pretty sure it's the lying about it repeatedly, and then all of a sudden remembering it once they said they had proof. Not to mention the hypocrisy of being tough on crime but not minding leniency when he's broken the law.
picard102 replying to a comment from Clara / August 19, 2010 at 04:29 pm
He's stated quite matter of faculty that he doesn't support pot legalization, nor does he ever want to see it be legalized. If you were caught with pot he'd be the first one to try and lock you up and throw away the key.
@dandmb50 - Daniel .. Toronto / August 20, 2010 at 08:45 am
<b>@dandmb50</b> - I didn't realize our media created this much spin, in Toronto politics. That's it, talk about a charge from 10 years ago and having a "joint," wow, what a bad guy.
Seems to me he is kinda normal regular person yet it was wrong.
Ford has his faults, we all do, but he will save us money and I like that, and he's somewhat honest, although sometimes a little late admitting it.
When is <b>Smitherman</b> going to answer the questions about his five year use of illegal drugs?
Why is Toronto media only going after <b>Ford</b> for his indiscretions?
I saw today in the Star, a story about <b>Thompson</b> being arrested for assault, I guess that brings out the fairness.
I haven't decided yet, but the more they dump on Ford, the better he looks.
It really is a smokescreen to be talking about this rather than talking about the real issues that matter to our city/citizens. In any event, be sure to go out and vote, who you think will be a good mayor for our city.

<b><i>Daniel .. Toronto</b></i>
Mel replying to a comment from Elizabeth / August 20, 2010 at 10:30 am
I believe that the home was involved in fostering families(?) of feral cats: providing them with care, sterilization, and returning them. They were connected with the Annex Cat Rescue.