- The slightly delayed, Wind Up Bird Cafe at 382 College Street opens today Thursday, December 5th.
- Duke's Refresher, the Muskoka spinoff is now open at 382 Yonge Street serving a menu that spans brunch to dinner.
- Two country western bars open this week; Boots & Bourbon Saloon opened last night at 725 Queen Street East; the Rock 'n' Horse Saloon at 250 Adelaide Street West opens on Friday, December 6th.
- Brooklyn Tavern is open now at 1097 Queen East in place of Fare Bistro.
- Classic Wings & Burgers (the name says it all) is in business at 858 Bloor Street West.
Here are 20 of my favourite items from the inaugural Canadian Artisan Tasting Fair.
Ultimately, what I saw made me a little jealous. The city enjoys progressive attitudes towards food trucks; their Artcrawls, Supercrawls and Dishcrawls boast enthusiastic participation; existing business owners seem to share more of a camaraderie than sense of competition; and, aspiring businesses are encouraged and accommodated by consolidated government services that are offered in a one-stop shop. As robust as our food scene is, Toronto could learn a thing or two, I suspect.
Here are some of my highlights from the thriving Hamilton culinary scene.
Hunter's legendary prowess for mind-altering substances is well-documented, with the father of 'Gonzo' journalism embracing the ideal of planting oneself firmly within the stories he wanted to tell. The story I want to tell is about absinthe.
- Ethical Eater's Dilemma, Community Supported Cheese, a Q&A with Monforte Dairy's Ruth Klahsen happens on Saturday, November 30th at the Karma Food Co-Op (739 Palmerston Avenue) at 1pm.
- The Canadian Artisan Tasting Fair takes place from 11am to 4pm on Sunday, December 1st at Wychwood Barns (601 Christie Street). Admission is $35 for complimentary sampling from chefs, brewmasters and artisan vendors, and also includes $10 in coupons to spend.
- Top female chefs including Tara Lee (Skin+Bones), Trisha Gill (The Dock Ellis), Tiffany Wong (Pizzeria Libretto), Charlotte Langley (Catch) and Leonie Lilla (The Libertine) will congregate at The Great Hall Dinner Party on Tuesday, December 3rd at 7pm for a Judy Chicago inspired dinner. Tickets are $120 with proceeds going towards I Walk for Water.
- Momofuko Noodle Bar hosts West Avenue Cider for a tap takeover on Tuesday, December 3rd and Wednesday, December 4th. http://momofuku.tumblr.com/post/68268622500/cider
- Old Mill Inn (21 Old Mill Street) presents Christmas Twilight Tea on Wednesday, December 4th a festive and wholesome high tea service with carols, stories and sing alongs.