While he studied, the moustachioed and kind-eyed McLaughlin worked the controls of a gleaming marble soda fountain in a New York City drug store, mixing fruit-flavoured syrups with carbonated water and ice for crowds of thirsty customers. Drinks with names like Humdinger, American Gentleman, Happy Hooligan, Gunther's Excelsior, Pugilists' Panacea, and the Japanese Thirst Killer were wildly popular.
Toronto Food Events: Maple Syrup Festival, Borrel, Pancake Tuesday, Cake Walks, Rapid Freeze Workshop
- Sugarbush season is here, Maple Syrup Festival begins Saturday, March 1st at Kortright Centre for Conservation (9550 Pine Valley Drive) and will run daily from 9:30am to 5pm until April 6th.
- The Ossington (61 Ossington Avenue) hosts a Borrel, on Sunday March 2nd from 2pm to 5pm. The weekly afternoon event celebrates the Dutch tradition of slowing down the day with good company, drinks and comfort foods like stamppot, bitterballen and poffertjes.
- Celebrate Pancake Tuesday at Fresh Start Coffee Co. (655 Bay Street) on Tuesday, March 4th from 7am 'til noon. All proceeds from the 11th Annual Pancake Breakfast will benefit the Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation.
- Momofuku Milk Bar is holding an afternoon of cake walk (one per hour) from noon to 3pm on Sunday, March 2nd. The tradition includes music, dancing and free cakes. Then on Monday, March 3rd Milk Bar is doing a flash giveaway of free chocolate malt cake truffles for the first 100 guests.
- Boccone (1378 Yonge Street) hosts La joie de vivre au chocolat, a sweet and savoury chocolate tasting dinner with Eyal Liebman. Tickets are $120 for the six course dinner with wine pairings happening Thursday, March 6th at 7pm.
Enter Roots, the Canadian clothing giant who this week decided to take this celeb chef claim a step further. While its ads are usually home to famous Canadian faces such as Wayne Gretzky and Dan Aykroyd, Roots decided to enlist Bar Isabel chef Grant Van Gameren to star in its latest campaign.
Toronto Restaurant Openings: Starving Artist II, Luckee, DW Alexander, Local Public Eatery, Ici Bistro
- Starving Artist has opened a second spot to get your brunch-time waffle fix at 1078 St. Clair West.
- Susur Lee's new restaurant Luckee in the SoHo Metropolitan Hotel (328 Wellington Street West) opens to friends and family this weekend for a soft opening. [Eater]
- DW Alexander, a new premium cocktail bar opens March 6th at 19 Church Street in St. Lawrence Market.