Here's a round-up of some of my favourite breweries near Toronto.
Queen's Bar & Grill, a rough around the edges watering hole we called out back in 2011 as one of Queen Street's notable dive bars, had persevered as third wave espresso bars and high-end baby stores grew up around it. No more. The windows are currently papered over and signs announce the impending arrival of Milky Way Ice Cream Parlour, Coffee and Bake Shop.
Toronto Food Events: Eat for Tibet Food Fest, Feswick's Freestyle, Gin-A-Palooza, The Stop's Night Market
- ChocoSol (1131 St. Clair Ave.) hosts a tasting, talk and tour on Saturday, April 25 in sessions starting at 12:30pm, 2pm and 3:30pm. Admission is $20 in advance or $25 at the door (cash only) and includes an engaging bean-to-bar chocolate talk, tour of the production facilities, and sampling of the goods.
- The Eat for Tibet Food Festival is on from 11am to 7pm on Sunday, April 26 at 216 Close Ave. in Little Tibet, a.k.a Parkdale. Participating restaurants include Loga's Corner, Norling, Himalayan Kitchen, Shangrila, Om Restaurant and Tsampa Cafe.
- Thoroughbred (304 Richmond St. West) has launched a new Sunday series dubbed Low Tea, a twist on brunch featuring tea, cocktails, a la carte menu items and the option to pre-order tiered platters of pastries. Reservations are recommended.
- Alexandra Feswick of The Drake Hotel (1150 Queen St. West) is launching a summer dinner series called Feswick's Freestyle featuring chef collaborations in a casual communal dining experience. The first installment is Canned Opening + Bottle Poppin' on April 28 at 7pm with Charlotte Langley and will showcase delectable canned dishes - like clams in ocean water, vegetable confit, sausage pot and duck confit + cassoulet - alongside fresh salads and side dishes in a prix fixe for $45 including two brown-bagged beverages. Seating is limited and reservations are required. A la carte options available too.
- Gin-A-Palooza, a citywide Gincentric event will see 10 of Toronto's top Gin brands featured at 10 cocktail venues over the two weeks between April 29 and May 12. Pick up a G-PASS at participating venues like Linwood Essentials, Montauk and Little Sister (to name just a few) to navigate through 30 Gin-A-Palooza cocktails.