Thursday, December 18, 2014Mostly Cloudy -1°C
Film

Photos of the new Total Recall being filmed in Toronto

Posted by Derek Flack / July 27, 2011

Total Recall Remake TorontoAlthough the new monster-budget remake of 1990's Total Recall has been filming in Toronto for almost two months, thus far the action has been mostly confined to the sound stage at Pinewood Studios on Commissioners Street in the Port Lands. Earlier this week, however, the production got a whole lot more public. With stars Colin Farrell and Jessica Biel in tow, film crews descended on Lake Shore Avenue East to shoot one of what will likely be a number of chase scenes in the $200 million movie, the most expensive to be shot in Toronto to date.

I'm not one to gawk at celebrities, but I've always been fascinated by behind-the-scenes shots of film productions, particularly those which promise to feature gratuitous special effects. While I have little difficulty suspending disbelief in the theatre, it remains intriguing to see what the filmmakers and editors have to work with, even if it's invariably less exciting than the final product.

The stretch of Lake Shore where the filming took place is back open today, but one suspects this isn't the last time that the Total Recall cast and crew make an appearance outside the studio. Check out the photos below, and if you have shots of the production, send them to the blogTO Flickr pool. Lead shot by syfractal.

Total Recall Torontosyfractal

Total Recall FilmingPhoto by dtstuff9

2011727-tr-dt.jpgdtstuff9

Total Recall Remake Torontodtstuff9

2011727-total-recall-to.jpgdtstuff9

Total Recall Remake TorontoPhoto by Max Quijano

Total Recall TorontoMax Quijano

zeb / July 27, 2011 at 12:56 pm
"Quuaaaaaid.Open your miiiiind." I hope this film doesn't suck. The original is a classic.
Jack Wagon / July 27, 2011 at 01:05 pm
One question. Is the mutant hooker with the three breasts going to be in it?
uvstudio / July 27, 2011 at 01:15 pm
Obviously, the Governator has nothing to do with this one, or else he wouldn't let it be shot here in Toronto.
LC replying to a comment from Jack Wagon / July 27, 2011 at 01:24 pm
No, but I heard that there will be a mutant Rob Ford with three sweaty man-boobs.
Andrea / July 27, 2011 at 01:26 pm
John Cho is supposed to be in this film, too! Has anyone spotted The Choverlord around town?
nick d replying to a comment from zeb / July 27, 2011 at 01:35 pm
Bahahaha! Love that part.
Carol / July 27, 2011 at 01:49 pm
They filmed at utsc too! :)
qwerty replying to a comment from Carol / July 27, 2011 at 02:07 pm
and the MTCC
Joe Scratch replying to a comment from Jack Wagon / July 27, 2011 at 02:27 pm
I have it on good authority that the three breasted alien will be in the remake.

Too bad Rob Ford won't.
Don / July 27, 2011 at 02:37 pm
Ford could play Quaid's big lady disguise when he takes off his head and says, "get ready for a surprise!!" and then we would get to see Ford's head asplode.
skeeter / July 27, 2011 at 03:04 pm
i'd like to see a documentary on an aborted Ford term entitled Total Recall.
agentsmith replying to a comment from Don / July 27, 2011 at 03:37 pm
"Two weeks."
David / July 27, 2011 at 04:22 pm
I noted a sign today at Lakeshore & Parliament that Lakeshore will be closed from Cherry St to Jarvis on Jul 31 and Aug 1. Presumably related to the filming.
Foo / July 27, 2011 at 04:27 pm
It shut down a major artery out of downtown and annoyed some people, but at least they aren't cyclists raising money for charity!
Stella / July 27, 2011 at 04:47 pm
Hahahahaha awesome comments today! Laughing my head off. Maybe the Ford brothers will ask them to blow up a library.
Dmitri / July 27, 2011 at 06:03 pm
Love this movie, still remember my mom bringing me a tape to watch when I was sick (all the way/time back in Russia..) Good memories.
Mike C / July 27, 2011 at 06:57 pm
Why is it that all future movies always include Lakeshore Blvd? All our city planners talk about tearing that sucker down, but apparently it will always be there. I would think that at the very least if Rekall was selling fake memories to Hauser it they'd replace it with something nicer.
FB replying to a comment from LC / July 27, 2011 at 10:53 pm
Ford's sweaty man-boobs.
I really wish you hadn't planted that image in my mind.
Sotonrich / July 27, 2011 at 11:14 pm
I found the perfect role for Rob Ford - http://ow.ly/i/eWBn
jg replying to a comment from Mike C / July 28, 2011 at 12:13 am
DYSTOPIAN future.
Crap / July 28, 2011 at 11:17 am
Damm that Farrell man is sexy.

$200 million dollar movie, yet they pay extra's $11 an hour

ba ha haaaaaaaaaaa
Mike J / July 28, 2011 at 01:04 pm
I noticed the hover cars have the Dodge label on them. So I suspect they are Chargers and there most likely will be commercial to match.
Ahnuld replying to a comment from zeb / July 28, 2011 at 02:14 pm
Classic? Classic??? The original is a freakin' joke.
foo replying to a comment from Ahnuld / July 29, 2011 at 09:11 am
It's a classic.
Fantomex replying to a comment from Mike J / July 29, 2011 at 09:52 am
No, there won't be. The addition of the Dodge name is simply a way to connect the movie to real life (just like the Continental Airlines ads in the original movie telling you that you can fly to Mars or the moon on one of their flights) or the Fuji Film ad in the Times Square/Yonge-Dundas Square-like square where the original Doug Quaid avoided his pursuers. Nothing more, nothing less, and just like what was seen in <i>Blade Runner</i> with the Coke ads and the Pan Am ads (not to forget the Atari ad and the TDK ad in the climactic scene between Ford and Hauer as Deckard and Batty.)
Bob / July 31, 2011 at 10:41 am
"I'm not one to gawk at celebrities, but....."
________________________________________

No need for the superior tone. Anyone who spends an afternoon out stalking a film shoot is just as starstruck as the rest of us! Thanks for the pics, though. Looks great.
Ronnie James / July 31, 2011 at 12:07 pm
I liked the original film. I'm sure this one will be great. I noticed a good number of Canadian actors in this one. The ones you don't always notice. One is Lisa Chandler. She is Kate's stand in and double. I believe she even does the stunts. I would like to see more written about these actors. I know Lisa has an extensive resume and makes an exciting character.

RL
rek / August 3, 2011 at 03:09 pm
From what I've heard the 'remake' is actually a closer adaptation of the source story by PK Dick and not related to the movie version.

Nice cars.
Quaid / August 7, 2011 at 04:53 pm
"get yoh ass to maaars"
Leetha replying to a comment from Ronnie James / August 14, 2011 at 02:43 pm
Okay there Lisa, you forgot to make the fake initials at the bottom of your post match your fake name. A stand in and double and actress does not make.
John replying to a comment from Jack Wagon / August 15, 2011 at 10:09 am
RJ replying to a comment from Leetha / August 15, 2011 at 10:37 am
First of all, who ever wrote "Leetha" is really void of the acting profession. I have spent many years in the industry reviewing films and the like. You made your comments sound like they were coming from this actor. I gather you are not to bright so I will close this post and encourage you to pay more attention to what acting involves. You are obviulsy not part of this industry, but just someone who finds fault with others due to your lack of talent.
del / August 15, 2011 at 02:46 pm
This will be an awesome movie...I saw them filming this in Toronto
Holly Smokes....It's good for the economy....keep it coming
steve g replying to a comment from zeb / April 10, 2012 at 01:53 pm
There are very few Arnold Swarzznegwer movies I can truly say I have enjoyed. Terminators 1 and 2, and even Commando. Included in the list is the movie “Total Recall” where Arnie bought a dream and then very quickly found himself in a world of high octane adventure. I really enjoyed it, it was well directed by Paul Verhoeven, and adequately acted by all around; it even gave us Sharon Stone for goodness sake.
Well, as imaginative as Hollywood are they have decided to do a remake. It stars Colin Farrell as Quaid but this time, if the trailer is anything to go by; he is more of a Jack Bauer kind of guy.
Why was this movie made? Is Hollywood so far gone now that it thinks there’s only remake and reboots the only way of guaranteeing success. Are they no longer going to take chances with filmmakers? I hope not. Let’s be positive and hope that this remake puts a unique spin on the story.