Tuesday, December 1, 2015Light Drizzle 8°C
Fashion & Style

H&M brings its plus-size fashion line to Toronto

Posted by Natalia Manzocco / August 13, 2014

hm plus torontoPlus-size fashion lovers, rejoice. International fashion chain H&M's line geared toward women sizes 14 to 24, H&M+, is being rolled into a select few stores across Canada, from Surrey, B.C. to Dieppe, N.B. Last week, the plus-sized selections finally made their way to Toronto, with the chain's store at Vaughan Mills Shopping Centre stocking the collection.

In a plus-size fashion landscape filled with unfortunate shoulder-cutout tops and gaudy rhinestones, H&M+ has often been a breath of fresh air - hell, I've been dreaming about this jacket for like a year. Their current lineup features a variety of under$50 pieces that range from everyday staples (biker-detailed leggings) to trendier, edgier pieces (lace crop tops) to workwear (elegant blazers). Add this collection to boutiques like PRiMAALA and Voluptuous opening boutiques downtown, and it's a pretty good summer for plus-size fashion in Toronto.

BequiaT / August 13, 2014 at 08:17 am
Vaughan Mills is not Toronto...why is it not available in Toronto?
Paul / August 13, 2014 at 08:58 am
And where's the options for bigger guys?
what's in a name / August 13, 2014 at 09:00 am
their clothes are terrible quality anyway
the material gets all pilly after a couple of wears
Tee / August 13, 2014 at 09:06 am
Agree - I avoid that 'mall' like the plague. There are so many H&Ms in Toronto. Why not places like Dufferin Mall?
TryMe / August 13, 2014 at 09:29 am
I spent nearly 20 years in plus size clothing. Every time I went to H&M, nothing fit me. I had to go to Addition-Elle and Reitman's for most of my stuff. Now that I've lost weight and can finally fit into H&M stuff, they bring in the plus line. Argh. Well, I'm happy for the others, I just wish it had come up in time for me.
Les Leslieville / August 13, 2014 at 09:49 am
Are those models really considered plus size?
cp replying to a comment from Les Leslieville / August 13, 2014 at 10:37 am
Yes, because they're tall and have wide hips and shoulders. "Standard" sizing doesn't always take that into account. Plus size doesn't always mean fat.
Bey replying to a comment from Paul / August 13, 2014 at 10:39 am
It's called a big and tall store.
Rob replying to a comment from Bey / August 13, 2014 at 10:48 am
What if you're too big for mall stores but too small for big and tall stores?
deezee / August 13, 2014 at 11:14 am
When they first came to Toronto, they had a plus sized section. It had the most god awful clothing around. Nothing like the fast fashion styles being offered in smaller sizes. Tops were extremely long and tent like, and pants where too tight in the leg and too big around the middle. It seems like H&M thought larger women looked like Tweedledee and Tweedledum. Hopefully this time around, they've fixed the problem. And if it is currently just available at Vaughan Mills Mall, you should post when they clothes are available in a Toronto mall, not Vaughan.
halfmydadsage / August 13, 2014 at 12:15 pm
Just went to H&M+ in London UK. Fantastic clothes. I am excited that they are almost bringing it to Toronto. I too remember when the Eaton Centre had plus sized clothing at the H&M.
Elle / August 18, 2014 at 10:59 pm
that's great and all... but when are they bringing H&M to Toronto?
Elle replying to a comment from Elle / August 18, 2014 at 11:00 pm
oops, i meant H&M home, my bad.
Steph Simms / October 5, 2015 at 12:23 am
Plus sizes are now available at the eaton's centre H&M