Monday, October 20, 2014Cloudy 5°C
Fashion & Style

Toronto startup wants plus-size men to dress better

Posted by Natalia Manzocco / July 2, 2014

plus size men torontoA brand-new startup has launched in Toronto catering to an under-served market: plus-sized gents in search of a sharp wardrobe tailored to their needs. Parker & Pine, a clothing line geared toward "men who live large", has just unveiled a brand-new webstore.

Interestingly enough, though, most of the world probably won't see you showing off their wares. The brand chose boxer briefs, which feature "a supportive pouch, mesh zones for extra breathability, and a non-slip waist" (goodbye, awkward readjusting) as their debut product.

If you're wishing they'd gone for collared shirts or fancy socks instead, never fear: The brand is planning to crowd-source future products (perhaps taking a leaf out of Betabrand's book), so shoppers may get to have their say soon. (Plus, it's always smart to start an outfit - and a company - with a good base layer.)

P / July 2, 2014 at 07:55 am
As a former fatty who got into good shape I have a problem finding stylish clothes. Now my waist is a size 32 but doing heavy back squats has meant skinny pants are a little too tight around my quads/glutes. So I usually have to go up to a 34 which means they no longer fit like skinny pants and are super loose around my waist. Similar issue with slim fitting shirts which are a bit snug around the chest. I've found some "hockey fit" jeans online but I was disappointed with their style which was a bit too 1990s for my preference. Plus size doesn't necessarily mean obese guys, these guys should hit up some gyms and ask some of the more muscled folks what sort of clothing issues they have. If they could make slim fitting stylish clothes for me I'd be a pretty loyal customer.
P / July 2, 2014 at 08:05 am
Darn, on second look their sizing is simply off-the-charts. I guess plus sizing just really means off the spectrum bigger. I still wish there would be a sizing for folks who can fit within regular sizes but have different proportions.
Mr Vimes / July 2, 2014 at 08:21 am
Hey Kam troll;; is everything about you small or just your mind? People come in all different shapes and sizes for various evolutionary reasons. Your expressed opinion is the same type of thinking that has driven eating disorders in females for years. Relax and let other people live in peace. Maybe you'll find a way through your insecurity and discover peace yourself.
Ted / July 2, 2014 at 09:35 am
co-founders=chasers?
IH replying to a comment from P / July 2, 2014 at 10:34 am
check out http://barbellapparel.com/

they're tackling exactly what you're talking about.
MrsP / July 2, 2014 at 03:23 pm
Does anyone know of plus-sized sites for men?
(that isn't george richards!)

What is out there that's fashionable?
and non-tent like?
S / July 2, 2014 at 05:03 pm
There's also a desperate need for tall men's clothing in Toronto. There are hardly any options, and those that exist seem aimed at older, conservative guys with loads of money. I see lots of younger tall guys around the city dressed in stuff that doesn't fit them properly because they can't afford clothing in their size. People are getting taller on average - someone should fill this need!
Tim / July 2, 2014 at 07:19 pm
Lots of stores are dedicated to Big and Tall clothing if you source them out. Even department stores like Hudson's Bay and Sears carry big and tall brands.

Maybe if there's such a need BLOGTO should do a write up on 20 Big and Tall shops in Toronto.
Ben / July 3, 2014 at 05:25 pm
One of the finer big and tall clothing stores is Kingsport Clothiers at Avenue and Eglinton. Lots of top designers and they keep up with the trends.

Good luck,
BLT
what the... / July 9, 2014 at 10:38 am
Does anyone else find the package area on those briefs to be especially uncomfortable to look at? What is even going on there....
Peter / July 10, 2014 at 05:15 pm
I wear big and tall clothing, not XXL that most of the places mentioned on here carry.
George Richards has big and tall and were, under score were, getting better labels and designs but have veered into same, same, same season after season and think we all want to look like night club cruisers!
The Bay has just recently, like in the last two or so months has go larger sizes in a selection of nice clothing ( but stopped just shy of what my size is)
I have been getting clothes from the us online for years, rochester big and tall and their other divisions casual male, BT, and destination XL .
Between these places the can find any price point to a walmart pricing to a Harry Rosen pricing and everything I between.
I like my Ralph Lauren polo clothes and have been wear these for years.
Anyway, rant ended, Canada needs to get in the game, so far The Bay is trying hard to fill the gap.
Kingsport is a division of George Richards
And they are also slacking on the large sizes, style is better but....