Wednesday, July 30, 2014Mostly Cloudy 23°C
Fashion & Style

Everyone wants this Toronto designer's iPhone case

Posted by Sarah Ratchford / August 16, 2013

felony case torontoAndrew Moore was recently able to quit his day job in favour of bringing a little fashion to the iPhones of this city and beyond. He started Felony Case about a year ago after his friend saw a spiky phone case and decided she wanted one. Moore simply bought a bunch of plain jelly cases and some spikes and made cases for a few of his friends. Through word of mouth, this one-man operation grew into a fully fledged business.

Felony Case is now in boutiques across Canada and the U.S., including Holt's locations across the country. In Toronto, they can be found at all three Holt Renfrew locations, jacflash, The Accessory Bar and Homegrown Boutique. All of the cases are still handmade right here in Toronto.

"I started up an Instagram account, and if you can call that marketing, that's all the marketing I did. Stores just started getting in touch after seeing the Instagram account."

Moore has sold about 4,000 cases already. "It kind of grew super organically," he tells me over the phone. "Once they started selling, I thought my ultimate goal was to get into Holt Renfrew. I realized I had to set some new goals once that happened."

felony case torontoMoore's new goals are mostly related to new designs. He's been working on a collection of leather cases using exotic skins like python, stingray and lambskin. He's also working on a new version of the spiky cases whose design will bring the cost down from $60 to about $40. Those will be ready in September. Moore says he plans to supply "some of the big retailers," but won't divulge just who that might entail at this point.

At the end of the day, Moore is just happy to be providing fashion people with options other than the cheap plastic cases found elsewhere. "You always have your phone, and you have it for so long. But if you slap a new case on it, it feels brand new. I want to make these cases that match with handbags, or match it with the shoes you're wearing." To watch the fabulous cases being born, check out this video by Nigel Powers.

Photos shot by Nigel Powers and courtesy of Felony Case.

Shawn / August 16, 2013 at 08:17 am
Is the fashion/style really worth not being able to comfortably hold your phone or put it in your pocket?
Brian / August 16, 2013 at 09:34 am
cant this be made for $5 with a jelly case and those little spikes from ebay. It would take you 15 minutes to assemble. $60 cost to make, wtf?
Borte / August 16, 2013 at 10:02 am
Wouldn't everyone have to own an iPhone in order for everyone to want this case?
first / August 16, 2013 at 10:32 am
Wait, people still use the iPhone?

Talk about security risk.

WitDickman / August 16, 2013 at 10:49 am
Looks terrible and isn't functional.

But wouldn't this be so easy to DIY?

Me replying to a comment from first / August 16, 2013 at 10:51 am
Do you really think most people give a shit about their security? Most of them freely volunteer their private information, even using their real names online doing so. The idea of a Facebook or Twitiot user worrying about privacy is laughably ironic.
Me replying to a comment from first / August 16, 2013 at 10:53 am
By 'everyone' Sarah means her and all her 14 year old friends.
clown, bra / August 16, 2013 at 11:19 am
You jackasses will buy anything.
Sid / August 16, 2013 at 11:33 am
I gather you wouldn't want to put your phone in your pockets anymore with this case! Dumb.
Without a Doubt / August 16, 2013 at 11:40 am
Hey..Andrew Moore.

You Sir, suck.
jerky / August 16, 2013 at 12:06 pm
Although these look like utter garbage, they are substantially better than those assinine bunny ear covers that idiotic soccer moms and Asians all have on their phones.
Gabe / August 16, 2013 at 12:15 pm
So his friend saw someone else with one and they knocked off the concept for themselves.
iTheif replying to a comment from Gabe / August 16, 2013 at 12:41 pm
Exactly what I was thinking. This guy gets a profile piece because he successfully copied someone else's design? Better hope the first person didn't have a design registration.
Sara replying to a comment from Without a Doubt / August 16, 2013 at 12:54 pm
Interesting how many of you above commenters take the time to write something trivial.
Whether you want practicality, simplicity, or fashion; to each their own. I'm personally on my fourth Felony Case (and I'm 24 - not 14). I get compliments on it daily, it fits in my pocket, my purse, and feels great in my hands. There's a target market and thousands of which have already bought one, and they get it.
You don't get it. It's not for you. Who cares? Enjoy your otterboxes.
hellebelle / August 16, 2013 at 01:10 pm
You can get cases like that at Pmall.
Meaghan / August 16, 2013 at 01:23 pm
ANDREW GETS A PROFILE SINCE HE LEVERAGED A TREND AND AN IDEA AND RAN WITH IT. He works super hard to make felonycase what it is today and deserves any and all credit. I LOVE MY FELONY CASE(S)
amazing. replying to a comment from Sara / August 16, 2013 at 01:23 pm
You must be thrilled you get daily compliments on a phone protector.

Pippa / August 16, 2013 at 01:42 pm
I have three cases. Two spiked and one brushed metallic. I have seen other spiky cases before, but none with as high quality as Felony Case. The others use flimsy silicone or cheap plastic and studs that fall out or tarnish. You pay a lot more for these than the cheap "made in china" ones you'll find at pacific mall, but that's the difference between a case that'll last you as long as your phone, and a case that's going to be in your garbage next month. And while the style is personal preference, I get tons of compliments on all my cases. (And I'm not 14 either)
you are an odd duck replying to a comment from Sara / August 16, 2013 at 01:44 pm
For a 24 year old, you sound like you have the mentality of a still born, if being complimented on your phone case is something you need to hear every day.
Mish / August 16, 2013 at 01:54 pm
I have a Felony Case as well, it's a quality phone case compared to others I have purchased in the past. He is amazing with personalized orders as well. I purchased mine last year at a Toronto Artisan event that Andrew was showcasing at, and I am happy to wish him continued success.
why / August 16, 2013 at 01:55 pm
Its a god damn phone doily.

Why does anyone WANT one?

The hell is wrong with people.
actually / August 16, 2013 at 04:10 pm
i have one and it is actually cool to hold as your fingers fit in the slots. i love it. it also doubles as a rape defence kit at night time on lonely streets.
actually / August 16, 2013 at 04:12 pm
ps relax. most haters per capital honestly.
Me / August 16, 2013 at 04:44 pm
Props to him for his entrepreneurial success, but I still wish the tacky trend of adding spiky bits to stuff would end.
Danny replying to a comment from Sara / August 16, 2013 at 04:49 pm
"There's a target market and thousands of which have already bought one" - millions, no billions, no trillions, no gillions!
nat replying to a comment from Brian / August 16, 2013 at 05:01 pm
that's not what it cost to make, it's what he's selling it for. Profit margins are really high on these types of accessories.
Sean Dixon / August 16, 2013 at 05:38 pm
Some of these posters have a very strong need to feel superior to someone.
Dylan / August 16, 2013 at 05:52 pm
It's amazing how much negativity flows out of here. Even for a start-up brand in Toronto spear-headed by a local designer trying to make a name for himself. And now it's happening on an exponential level. Regardless, people still need to find a reason to be upset about it.

The truth is that Felony Case is a fantastic brand. Andrew is a talented designer who still, to this day, hand makes the majority of his pieces. The studs are heavy-duty, super high-quality, and are individually screwed into bases of different colours, textures, and finishes. The cases last forever and are worth significantly more than the flimsy versions you might see from other brands and retailers. Not to mention that the aesthetic of Felony's cases, though created from a specific trend, is pretty unique in terms of composition. It is simple, refined, and elegant - a far departure from shiny, glued plastic studs or crystallized embellishments on other studded cases. These cases are made with actual intent and purpose, which is what functional Fashion is all about. Andrew capitalized on a trend in an intelligent way and delivered completely on quality and execution. I think what he's doing is great.
Sarah / August 16, 2013 at 06:56 pm
Hand-assembled* in Toronto.
honestgal / August 16, 2013 at 08:35 pm
Honestly, there are a LOT of crazy, silly things we can all spend our money on. Hats off to this guy who is now paying his rent and buying some wine making money from that fact. No one is being forced to buy, they WANT them! So good for him.

and BRIAN, He buys them at a certain cost, invests probably half hour each to make them, then sells them to retailers who THEN charge $60. Watch some Dragon's Den, homeslice.
ani / August 16, 2013 at 11:23 pm
okay this is what i'm gonna do. i'm gonna buy a bunch of jelly skins. i'll buy those spikes too. and i'll glue the shit together. i'll sell them for 10 bucks. who wants them?
Claire / August 17, 2013 at 12:48 am
WHOAH! I knew comment threads were a danger zone but people are seriously hating on people over what type of case they have. This is blowing my mind!
Sandra replying to a comment from Matt / August 17, 2013 at 09:35 am
Let's not forget that the writer also is bias and probably friends with the designer ...as she was with someone at Early Bird Espresso. Here is another bias and censored review from this writer: http://www.blogto.com/cafes/early-bird-espresso-cafe-toronto

I totally lost respect for Blog TO when they deleted all negative comments about Early Bird and gave this lame excuse for doing so: "We have removed (and will continue to remove) any comments that are engaged in so-called "hipster bashing" ...yet they leave comments on here that slander individuals and businesses. Shameful and unethical.

Maybe read a real article on journalistic integrity before you start losing the readers and comments that sustain this blog.
Milka / August 17, 2013 at 12:13 pm
Since when has fashion been comfortable!? NEVER. i think its cool.
The China Man / August 17, 2013 at 10:59 pm
Made in Canada you say?

Where are those plastic cases made?
and the studs he's gluing onto them?
oh, and the glue?

yeah, that's what I thought.
Laj / August 18, 2013 at 03:15 am
This is the story of entrepreneurship, not an invention.
Sure, you might have been able to do this on your own, but doesn't that make you feel sillier being the one NOT to then?
This is all besides the point anyways - these are some of the most wanted, and higher quality pieces out there. Individually hand finished and stamped right here in your city. Show some love!
Stu replying to a comment from The China Man / August 18, 2013 at 08:54 am
I think the term for this now is "Assembled in Canada". Not made in Canada, Not Manufactured in Canada.

The design is not Canadian.
The products are not made in Canada.
The invention is not Canadian

Assembled.
Jax / August 18, 2013 at 08:58 am
Well the name Felony suits the product at least he knows that because this is a crime.
Michele / August 18, 2013 at 10:47 pm
very very tacky- making these or owning one should be a felony
Mother moore / August 20, 2013 at 07:31 pm
Guys. Dont hate on andrew moore, yes: what he did is consider plagarism but he went to fanshawe college and never studied design. He is his background, doing the best he can do with the limited education, experience and intellectual available to his possession.
John / August 21, 2013 at 12:22 am
I might get divorced over this F'n post/thread. That bitch and I have been arguing for days over this piece of shyte!
Yankee Doodle / November 3, 2013 at 09:36 am
I'm going to have to agree with the majority on here I'm this one. The whole "made in canada" angle is BS. The fashion concept is understandable but stupid because it's tacky. I can get behind the entrepreneurship aspect but when you listen to him talk he sounds like a 10 year old, on top of the fact that any joe schmoo as opened a business and failed so not much credit is due in that regard . Looks like he came from a place of privledge to have to audacity to make money off of this (someone's else's) idea. I predict failure in felonys future.
Mohammad / November 29, 2013 at 10:53 pm
When bass fishing slows fishing 101 down in the hot summer months, consider fishing for
catfish. That was perfect How does one going about being a kidBut just ask any camp
counselor or parent with kids who are eager to fish, I played
the fish in reality eat this lure. Then trim the exscess post material down to length.