Tuesday, September 30, 2014Cloudy 19°C
Fashion & Style

The 10 worst looks from Toronto Fashion Week

Posted by Bianca Venerayan / October 30, 2012

worst looks toronto fashion week 2012As per usual, we're following up the top 10 looks from Toronto Fashion Week with my picks for the ten worst ones, because you've got to take the good with the bad and the happy with the very, very sad. Of course, "worst" is subjective, so feel free to disagree and maybe check out the other more promising looks in our Style section. Here are the 10 worst looks from Toronto Fashion Week.

toronto fashion week melissa neptonMaybe each of these Melissa Nepton pieces aren't so terrible on their own, but when paired together I just kept thinking "bag lady, bag lady, bag lady."

toronto fashion week bustleWhen trend forecasters told Bustle tourist-wear would be all the rage next season, he took it a tad too literally and ended up with some sort of safari bird-watching costume mess.

toronto fashion week joe freshI tried to forget those god-awful nylon leggings from Urban Behaviour with jeans printed on them, but Joe Fresh did a really good job of bringing them back. In gaudy gold, no less.

toronto fashion week lauren bagliorePerhaps it's the frumpy skirt length, modestly suffocating neckline, slicked veil-like hair, or the general discomfort in the model's face, but this dress from Mercedes Benz Start-Up contender Lauren Bagliore reminded me of a nun. In a bad way.

toronto fashion week worst looks 2012Not even Pat Cleveland could save this chaotic, optical illusion-esque look from Joe Fresh. In fact, I think her sassy walk in combination with the print made me a tad more nauseous.

toronto fashion week soia kyoThis Soia & Kyo outfit must have been part of a competition where they had to throw on as many different fabrics together without knocking over the model. They won.

toronto fashion week worst looks 2012A Bustle ensemble inspired by Van Pelt, the hunter from Jumanji. On acid.

toronto fashion week lucian matisI totally understand the conceptual/creative aspect that Lucian Matis was gunning for, but this dress looked as though a sexy nurse costume met the Spice Girls and then imploded.

toronto fashion week evan biddellI could handle the pop-art prints at Evan Biddell, but when it was all over a floor-grazing dress with a hood and a super low cowl neck, my eyes felt more than a little bit violated.

toronto fashion week worst looksJoe Fresh brought out some sort of textured ski jacket paired with...um...underwear. What type of weather is this getup appropriate for, exactly?

Let us know which is your (least) favourite! And if none of these speak to you, don't forget to check out the rest of the looks in our Style section.

Tamz / October 30, 2012 at 03:28 pm
AGREED!! Toronto needs to step their game up. Have we not learned from the other fashion capitals? It's time we put ourselves on the map and the these mediocre designs aren't helping.
Pk / October 30, 2012 at 04:17 pm
Thanks for this; it's the perfect antidote to the EVERYTHING IS STUNNING hyperbole of the fashion world. I can't think of any other medium (writing, fine art, music, dance...) that congratulates itself so much. Criticism is a healthy thing, and some art needs a healthy dose.
Buttplug Andy replying to a comment from Tamz / October 30, 2012 at 05:28 pm
Tamz / OCTOBER 30, 2012 AT 03:28 PM
"Toronto needs to step their game up. [...] It's time we put ourselves on the map and the these mediocre designs aren't helping."

It's more about politics than anything else--and not for a lack of innovative designers here. Just ask yourself why a local design duo (which shall remain nameless) continues to be showcased each season. Being associated with the FDCC (the organization that used to put on these shows, which was recently sold to IMG) puts one in a highly favourable light. Put two and two together, and you'll know how these shows work.
NC / October 30, 2012 at 09:44 pm
I thought the flowered explorer's ensemble was radical personally. Pretty much agreed on the rest however ...
Cynthia / October 30, 2012 at 09:47 pm
I have to say Bustle's "tacky tourist" wear, Evan Biddell's pop art piece and Soia & Kyo's Day at the Spa headgear, in that order.
TAMZ replying to a comment from Buttplug Andy / October 30, 2012 at 11:11 pm
I totally get how the shows work. And often times I ask the same questions that you've pointed out. But, I don't think you understood what I meant though. It's not about who runs the fashion shows or what designers team up together to do a line. It's about Toronto being memorable for their fashion. When you think of what makes this a great city apart from everything else, fashion is not the first thing that comes to mind. Which is why I say it's time for our city to step outside the box and be original. Give noted designers like DVF, Versace and Karl Lagerfeld a reason to want to come here.
Sophia / October 31, 2012 at 09:54 am
Without the vest and belt, the Soia & Kyo number would be adorbz.
Markus / November 6, 2012 at 05:25 pm
Why isn't Adrian Wu's entire collection on here?
Adrian Wu replying to a comment from Markus / November 7, 2012 at 01:18 am
Markus, you're the only person I've seen online who has commented like that on my collection. All I can say is... thank god someone didn't like it. In fact I'm glad you wrote this here because it would give a reason for blogto to actually acknowledge my existence.
Adrian Wu replying to a comment from TAMZ / November 7, 2012 at 01:36 am
It's the Canadian Economy. Our structure of business does not perform like the cities of New York and London. It's the social norms we have in Toronto that restrain us from innovation. I do believe it's the designers responsibility for their product to be memorable. But ultimately it's our Economy. Think about it, the average consumer in North America isn't going to purchase a dress that is $700 made in Canada when they can spend a little bit more for a dress made by Marc Jacobs made in Italy. It's just how this structure of society is set up. Most media companies (like blogto) in Toronto do business with advertisers just like other cities but most of those companies aren't fashion companies because unfortunately most independent canadian designers don't make any money. That's why you are able to see canadian publications trashing designers because they don't do business with them. Can you imagine Vogue.com trashing Burberry's collections? NEVER because Burberry and many other large fashion companies fund Vogue. I just do fashion week for press. I don't care about selling my work, I make money through corporate collaboration and marketing. Anyways, this is just my opinion coming from someone from the inside. What Andy said about politics is true, and all of that being said we can only anticipate that our economy will change in order for Toronto Fashion Week to get better.
Chrissy / February 19, 2013 at 01:33 pm
@Adrian Wu: Are you going to show your collection in March 2013? You are on the list of designers but no date has been confirmed yet on the calendar?!
Also, is Toronto Fashion Week only accessable for media and industry people or do they sell tickets to the general public as well? On the website there is no way to purchase tickets without an access code. I would love to go and see some shows...Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Chrissy replying to a comment from Adrian Wu / February 19, 2013 at 01:34 pm
Please read my comment. Thank you!