Wednesday, July 30, 2014Mostly Cloudy 19°C
Fashion & Style

Has Toronto embraced nail art as the next beauty trend?

Posted by Bianca Venerayan / October 5, 2012

Nail Art TorontoNail art in Toronto, much like any other recycled fashion trend, has had its ups and downs, and ups once again. We've come a long way since the henna-stained nails of ancient India, and have seen everything from press-on fake nails in the '80s, to gel acrylics hardened by ultra-violet light. Only recently have the many different methods to spruce up your nails become widely and readily available, making the recurring trend bigger and better than ever before.

Perhaps it's the much-anticipated seasonal releases of Chanel nail polish collections that shot nail art into the mainstream. It might be thanks to flashy celebrities rocking impractically long, decorated talons, influencing fans to do the same. It could also be the millions of Tumblr and Instagram users posting and re-posting images of elaborately decked-out fingers. Whatever the case, nail art seems to be here to stay - whether we're talking Shellac manicures, 3D Japanese motifs or do-it-yourself bacon polish.

Here in Toronto, the trend seems to be flourishing, with several new "nail bars" opening up all over the city, and an increase in complementary mini-manis offered at local events. If you're down to join in on the fun of nail art, here are a few salons worth checking out:

Wow Wow Nails
More like a retail space for anything and everything to do with Konad stamping, Wow Wow Nails' two locations (4675 Steeles Ave E Unit 1E11, and 802B Dundas St W) are perfect for a low-key design with intricate wow-factor (or should I say wow-wow-factor?) details. The clerks will be happy to give a demo on how to apply the product, but if you lack a steady hand (as I do), the nail technicians are available by appointment only.

Pinky's Nails
Pinky's Nails (688 Richmond St) is the new kid on the block, having only been open for about a month. They're the first studio to ever focus solely on funky nail art, and they seem to already be taking the city by storm - quickly becoming the go-to place for sparkly gradients, tiny cat portraits, 3D flower appliques, and whatever else you can think of.

Zen Nails & Spa
Zen Nails & Spa (1969 Avenue Rd) doesn't fall short of its name. Every customer appreciates the zen ambiance of the salon and its affordable price points. They offer everything from flawless Shellac nails ($35) to airbrushed designs ($10) to sculptural 3D embellishment (from $10), and they aim for perfection every single time.

Jolie Beauty Bar
Jolie Beauty Bar is located just down the street from Zen Nails. With an award-winning and magazine-cover-landing team of technicians, it's no doubt Jolie Beauty Bar (1896 Avenue Rd) is endorsing the art of funky nails in addition to their other beauty services. Plus, they charge $3 for art per nail, so if you only want one nail dazzled in wild patterns (for whatever reason), they're down to do that for you!

BONUS

Celebrate the hockey strike by creating your very own Toronto Maple Leaf nail art. Watch the video below for a tutorial how to do it.

Lead photo from Wah Nails

Juice Bar Experience / October 5, 2012 at 09:59 am

Mahban from Toronto's nail tumblr, she's the best!
where / October 5, 2012 at 10:37 am
im so happy to have new resources for nail art!!! i've been trying to lock down a good nail artist i cant find any!!!!!!
MrsPotato / October 5, 2012 at 10:47 am
this is so 9 months ago.
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Hey ladies, make sure you Yelp.ca those places listed above, and you'll find out they're actually shite. Just sayin'.
mahban / October 5, 2012 at 12:31 pm
Hey guys,

If you want to come try my nails, I accept Canadian Tire money as well as stuff animals for payment. I'm also selling lots of really high priced clothes like YSL, Stitches, and Polo.

Thanks!

Lauren / October 5, 2012 at 01:40 pm
Imma let you finish, but any article about nail art without TIPS on the Danforth is ill-informed. http://www.tipsnailbar.ca/
Porcelaine / October 5, 2012 at 02:17 pm
I much prefer the nail art on the right just inside the main entrance of City Hall.
sar replying to a comment from Porcelaine / October 5, 2012 at 02:52 pm
i prefer mine on my nails.
emmav / October 5, 2012 at 03:18 pm
Mahban?

Really? I don't want to be mean, but her work is terrible. Very very messy!!! UGH!
Her site/portfolio is terrible.
Ace McNugget / October 5, 2012 at 03:51 pm
If Toronto has embraced nail art as the next beauty trend they've embraced it around 2-3 years too late.
Ace McNugget / October 5, 2012 at 03:52 pm
ps- Emma v, totally agree that stuff by Mahban is VERY messy. Some nice ideas but very poorly executed.
mobo / October 5, 2012 at 10:31 pm
"Has Toronto embraced nail art as the next beauty trend?" .........????? OK. thats it. I am removing BlogTO from my bookmarks.
where / October 5, 2012 at 11:04 pm
i've been to tips and it's having an identity crisis. wont be going there again.
mahban's got the best attitude towards nail art for sure!(do they do nail extensions too?)
Toni / October 8, 2012 at 07:46 pm
Agreed that this article is 2 years too late, agreed that Tips Nail Bar not being on the list means the person who wrote this article doesn't know what they are talking about/did zero research.
Jana / October 10, 2012 at 10:18 pm
You mean white girls in Toronto have finally embraced nail art as the next beauty trend. Airbrush art has been around for years, yall just dismissed it as "ghetto."

So yeah, late. Flo Jo forever.
The real Mahban / November 12, 2012 at 12:15 am
HAHA hi guys, I just want to make a comment denouncing that the person who posted as Mahban is me.

I appreciate the support and the disses. I'm not really out there to be the best nail artist. I started this stuff a very long time ago when nobody else was around so I guess being early in the game I made a name for myself. I don't really even do it anymore.

I appreciate the criticism and agree that I don't have the patience to be very clean. But in all cases, haters gonna hate, and we all know that people who cant 'do', criticize.

Bisoux
Nail Art / July 11, 2014 at 05:27 pm
Love nail art, good to know.