Saturday, September 20, 2014Mostly Cloudy 19°C
Fashion & Style

Street Style: at the Topman Toronto launch party

Posted by Kevin Naulls / December 6, 2010

Topshop Man TorontoName: Caitlin Agnew
Favourite piece: Camel Coat from UPC Boutique in Yorkville
Style inspiration: Man Repeller
Occupation: Flare intern and freelance writer

Name: Christopher Sherman
Favourite piece: Barbour jacket
Style inspiration: "My father and the J Crew catalogue"
Occupation: Fashion Television producer

Topshop Man TorontoName: Hiroshi Awai
Favourite piece: "My Levi's"
Style inspiration: "Easy."
Occupation: Fashion designer for men's line, Creep

Name: Peghah Maleknejad
Favourite piece: Acne sweater
Style inspiration: "My surroundings."
Occupation: Stylist

Topshop Man TorontoName: Rani Sheen
Favourite piece: Valérie Dumaine skirt
Style inspiration: Paris school girl meets Karl Lagerfeld
Occupation: Copy and Health editor at FASHION Magazine

Name: Alex Brown
Favourite piece: Rachel Comey boots
Style inspiration: "Michelle Williams, if I had to pick"
Occupation: Merchandiser

Topshop Man TorontoName: Jessica Pollack
Favourite piece: "My new coat - from Zara"
Inspiration: Boyish rock
Occupation: Journalist with Clean Eating magazine

Name: James Millership
Favourite piece: Vintage boots
Style inspiration: "Toron from the past." (Or Tron from the past - either way, (?))
Occupation: Businessman

Photos by Dennis Marciniak

devan / December 6, 2010 at 09:34 am
toronto fashion is the absolute worst.
lizzle / December 6, 2010 at 09:59 am
Dude was not kidding when he said he was inspired by the j crew catalogue, shiiiiiiiiiite.
T / December 6, 2010 at 10:27 am
Hiroshi Awai is actually awesome and his creep line is beautiful and wearable, but for the other dude to openly declare his inspiration comes from the J crew catalogue while wearing j crew makes me cringe.
yumyums / December 6, 2010 at 10:41 am
Why is Christopher Sherman wearing a ballcap? Must be balding, I say.
Aldrin / December 6, 2010 at 10:45 am
Hiroshi Awai's collection is really cool!
Regina / December 6, 2010 at 10:56 am
So much bland frump. I could put together better outfits at Goodwill.
Sophia / December 6, 2010 at 11:46 am
This is one big hot mess.
Brad / December 6, 2010 at 11:47 am
Creep is the name of his clothing line? And here I was thinking he was just really honest about his profession.

"what do you do"

"I'm a fashion designer, professional creep."

That being said, his clothing line looks pretty awesome. Well done.
Max / December 6, 2010 at 11:51 am
While over in the UK, campaigners against tax avoidance by big business forced Topshop's flagship store to close temporarily.

Tenen / December 6, 2010 at 11:52 am
To those snide bitches and pricks above, let's see you post a link to a photo of you in your slaying styles. C'mon, put your money where your asshole is.
Mary / December 6, 2010 at 12:00 pm
Why, why, why, why do people take an open comment box and anonymity as invitations to criticize others? So sick of negative comments on blogTO. Makes Toronto seem such a mean-hearted place.
Mary / December 6, 2010 at 12:01 pm
duthie / December 6, 2010 at 12:25 pm
bland. Hiroshi's sweater is hideous
Parsleyhead / December 6, 2010 at 12:59 pm
Why do I feel like if these outfits were posted on the Sartorialist, everyone would love them?

What the hell is bland about ALL of them? What's bland about every street style posting that is lambasted? I'm not saying I love all of them, or that I would wear the outfits myself, but the selection is diverse and interesting. Hell with all of you. Go live in Nova Scotia and then tell me Toronto fashion is bland. What the hell do YOU wear that is so much more exciting than this?? I can only assume that you must be fucking impeccable dressers.
Greg / December 6, 2010 at 01:13 pm
It's your turn, Uniqlo.
Vivy / December 6, 2010 at 01:20 pm
wow......A lot of black pieces. Too many black items. dark dark dark = boring boring boring.
Collin / December 6, 2010 at 01:50 pm
Caitlin's style inspiration is really work. Not only did she repelled me, I think I'm gonna go gay after seeing her "style"
belvedere / December 6, 2010 at 02:05 pm
"man repellent"??

more like "dyke magnet".
ROB / December 6, 2010 at 02:09 pm
James Millership's casual style is okay,as is Hiroshis,although the sweater isn't great. Caitlin's style is truly a man repeller so she can be certain of that. Peghah and Alex look like every other club chick you encounter on cheap drink night.Rani dresses like my mom going to church, and Christopher and Jessica sport boring cliche Queen West looks. Honestly guys, you could probably put together more interesting outfits off the rack at Winners.
Andrea / December 6, 2010 at 02:43 pm
Here's a little insight for the belvederes and robs and collins of the world: Not all women dress for guys' approval or notice. A good number of women would freely and proudly admit to dressing for their own enjoyment or to get the notice of other *women* of similar or aspiring-to-be similar styles. Not for any sexual reasons but just for the sake of fun, fashion, friendship, and ... sartorial solidarity?
Mike / December 6, 2010 at 08:00 pm
Chris is sporting some nice classic pieces but makes it modern because his clothes are well-fitted. I'm not big on ball caps myself nor hats in general however. I see nothing wrong with J crew - I myself tend towards a preppier style at times and see nothing wrong with J Crew but for me it's all about the individual item, what it looks like and how well it fits one's frame - like for example a pair of khakis might seem boring and of course if their too baggy and two sizes too big they look awful but on the other hand a nice slim, well fitted pair of khakis can look amazing. Any of you avant- fashion freaks out there probably still think everything I've said so far is bullshit but I think some of you will agree with me.
abc / December 6, 2010 at 09:25 pm
ON ANOTHER NOTE,

When did Topman open, and where?!!?! Jonathan + Olivia? Why is there no story on this yet???
Amy / December 6, 2010 at 10:19 pm
This fashion is neither impressive on an artistic level or even as everyday wear. These look like random shots of people poorly dressed. Toronto really has no fashion. I just got back from Milan and the italians make us look like we're homeless.
UU / December 6, 2010 at 10:38 pm
Look at this photograph: http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lcv6dmyjgu1qzln3yo1_500.jpg

Still think Hiroshi Awai looks bad? He has far more personal style and talent than anyone here is giving him credit for.
BillyReuben / December 6, 2010 at 11:35 pm
"Let me show you Derelicte. It is a fashion, a way of life inspired by the very homeless, the vagrants, the crack whores that make this wonderful city so unique."
Joey / December 7, 2010 at 08:14 am
"Still think Hiroshi Awai looks bad?"

Yup. But don't worry, because every single person in this edition of Street Style looks bad.
Stephanie / December 7, 2010 at 10:29 am
I'm guessing he said "Drawn from the past", not toron or tron from the past.

I think they all look lovely. What's the point in everyone dressing exactly the same?
APOW / December 7, 2010 at 01:55 pm
i wanna put my D in christopher's mouthzos
DUTHIE replying to a comment from UU / December 7, 2010 at 02:36 pm
Standing up or sitting down, that sweater is terrible.
mrspotato replying to a comment from belvedere / December 9, 2010 at 04:23 pm
GAHAHAHAAAA!!
BEST. COMMENT. EVER!
Vin / December 9, 2010 at 06:43 pm
not only the sweater is terrible. In general Topman has more stylish clothes
susan young / December 20, 2012 at 06:20 pm
well I think James Millership looks quite dashing. A Heinekin is always the best accessory!
james happend across this you look great!!
xoxo