Thursday, April 24, 2014Clear 1°C
Fashion & Style

Street Style: College Street

Posted by Guest Contributor / February 22, 2010

Street Style TorontoName: Adam
Occupation: Filmmaker
My Style: Toliet Paper & Perrier. Ha! No, casual & comfy.
Favourite Item: My Top-Siders.

Name: Daniela
Occupation: Freelance graphic designer
My Style: Casual partnered with unique pieces.
Favourite Item: My boots.

Street Style TorontoName: Lyn
Occupation: Vegan Chef & Writer
My Style: Value Village. I like to pick up things from there and alter them.
Favourite Item: It has to be my socks!

Name: Nicki
Occupation: Works in Arts Communications
My Style: Eclectic.
Favourite Item: My boots.

Street Style TorontoName: Joshua
Occupation: Skater
My Style: All things skater.
Favourite Item: Looks down at skateboard and then says with a smile, "my deck".

Name: Julia
Occupation: High school student
My Style: Pretty casual.
Favourite Item: It's a toss-up between my boots and my Jerome Dreyfuss purse that I got in Paris.

Contributed by Abby & Jessica Blaine Smith

Nick W / February 22, 2010 at 10:00 am
Well, the "you forgot to put pants on" crowd is going to have a field day with this bunch.
Cobretti / February 22, 2010 at 10:09 am
Hey, this bunch of bozos forgot to put their pants on!
p / February 22, 2010 at 10:13 am
Haha, I actually like Lyn's take on forgetting to put pants on - putting pants on. My problem is that I have all these great boots, but I'm not a fan of skinny jeans, and there's no way I'm wearing just leggings in public, so they're really hard to show off in the winter. Lyn's got it all figured out.
Nizz / February 22, 2010 at 10:13 am
Do you think PooPoo McTop-siders drank his Perrier whilst plopping?
Castor Reigns / February 22, 2010 at 10:39 am
Before I scrolled down to read Joshua's profile, I thought the kid looks like a skater. Mission accomplished, Joshua!
Blah / February 22, 2010 at 11:06 am
Huh...apparently not much happens on College St.
mp replying to a comment from p / February 22, 2010 at 11:15 am
.. wear a skirt with the leggings/tights?
Matt replying to a comment from Castor Reigns / February 22, 2010 at 11:24 am
Maybe it was the skateboard that tipped you off lol
HUK / February 22, 2010 at 11:28 am
I can only imagine what Adam's worn out shoes smell like. Throw 'em out buddy!
uwobrian / February 22, 2010 at 11:48 am
I would say in my 5 years here that Julia resembles 99% of the female population of this city.
MattP / February 22, 2010 at 11:50 am
I guess these were taken as school let out. Except for poor Adam who just had to poop. Good on 'ya Adam, you are the least crapy of them all. I thought we had a future Lyn, right up until the 'vegan chef and writer' bit. ;)
Scott / February 22, 2010 at 12:38 pm
Nice jeans adam. This street style is better than most.
toxic / February 22, 2010 at 12:46 pm
snark, snark, snark. i feel better. swear to god. i even hang out in bloorcourt village.
!! / February 22, 2010 at 12:47 pm
Boots AND tights!
What a novel concept.
These girls sure are orginal.

And tell the boy from Dogtwon skate boarding died some 15 years ago when Christan Slater stopped Gleaming the Cube.
sart / February 22, 2010 at 12:53 pm
boat shoes in winter? if you can't wear em without socks then don't wear em, or just don't wear them at all.
Eric26 / February 22, 2010 at 01:33 pm
I think Lyn would look better with different pants, but I like everything else.

Also, everybody poops.
langford / February 22, 2010 at 01:49 pm
I always love the comments. Although I would never pose for blogTO knowing you guys will be here to chime in.
shopsterium replying to a comment from langford / February 22, 2010 at 02:05 pm
I'd love to pose for blogTO! They should tell us the location in advance so we can go line up ;)
langford replying to a comment from shopsterium / February 22, 2010 at 02:08 pm
If I ran a fashion website I'd probably be comfortable with posing too. (:
vivy / February 22, 2010 at 03:08 pm
That was boring.
ugh / February 22, 2010 at 03:19 pm
The fashion is fine, whatever. My problem is all the poncy "jobs" these people have: filmmaker, producer, actress, arts communications, writers, blah blah blah. Seriously, where are all the receptionists, waiters, temps, starbucks managers? i.e. THEIR REAL JOBS.
zzzzzz / February 22, 2010 at 03:28 pm
Boring, sorry.
kaveh / February 22, 2010 at 03:41 pm
wowwww these ppl are dressed horribly thats all I can say

I think this blog is meant to show the Donts of fashion rather than the Dos
Eric replying to a comment from ugh / February 22, 2010 at 03:41 pm
Clearly these are taken during the day. People with real jobs are, oh i don't know, at said real jobs. As i am posting this at 3:40PM on a monday, i have no "real" job.
Dawn replying to a comment from ugh / February 22, 2010 at 04:07 pm
It doesn't matter and this is like the 8th time someone has said this. The one day they did Street Style at Yonge & Eg with 'people with real jobs', people still had negative things to say.
mike replying to a comment from HUK / February 22, 2010 at 04:42 pm
Agree about the shoes being roughed up - I like them but Adam needs a new pair, although in response to Sart below, boat shoes shouldn't be worn in winter. His jeans and sweater/jacket are great. Lose the jacket, and with those jeans and t-shirt and a new pair of boat shoes it'd be a cool casual summer evening look.
L / February 22, 2010 at 04:49 pm
Adam looks good. I like his socks and I like his comments. Lyn looks like a really, really nice person. Feeling the good vibes. The skater and the high school student both look cute with their matching sheepish grins.
kj / February 22, 2010 at 04:54 pm
boring, boring , boring
Edward Steichen / February 22, 2010 at 08:01 pm
Excellent photos Jessica.

I guess leggings are the new low-cut jeans? Either way its better than baggy and loose preventing our imagination ;)
Rachel / February 22, 2010 at 08:11 pm
Does Street Style try to go for diversity to show all the different types of fashion or is this a genuine effort to show off how ridiculously cutting edge Torontonians are?

I am serious when I ask you why you went through the entire process of stopping Lyn to ask about her pajamas to posting the picture of her highwaters and combat boots here. And I won't even comment on Julia.
Jenelle / February 22, 2010 at 08:40 pm
Completely agree about the job title thing. Film Maker? 'Freelance Graphic Designer'? And let's just cryptically say 'Arts Communications' to make your otherwise boring paper pushing job sound creative and intellectual. Nice try. It all just reeks of insecurity (except for the skater dude and the high school student) - people trying to sound important but coming off as extremely pretentious. I've seen about 10 Julias and Nickis today already - all horribly unoriginal and trying hard not to be. But I have to say I like Lyn's smile albeit the pajama thingie she's doing and Daniela's shoes are my favorites out of the bunch. Who knows, she could have a cute outfit under that boring coat. And otherwise boring Adam's 'accessories' are quite charming, for some reason. Hey Adam, you single?
z / February 22, 2010 at 09:40 pm
the state of the garments shouldn't be the topic of conversation

the dullness of this post should be the topic of conversation

are the style hunters for blogto in fashion? do they know anything about styling?

if no (and it doesnt show if yes) ... why not?

there is amazing style in toronto and it's not being spotted.
z / February 22, 2010 at 09:43 pm
in addition

i'm not trying to be a dick...all of these people look perfectly presentable

but you can't call this a stylesightings column if these outfits are as common as they are.
? / February 22, 2010 at 11:41 pm
what really reeks of insecurity is the fact that you spent time coming on here to anonymously bash others. Also think it's hilarious you claim them to be "pretentious" when you obviously think you are some kind of authority on fashion. What is so pretentious about saying you work at a creative job anyway? Please enlighten us with more of your self-righteous crap. p.s. this doesn't apply to z, they actually had something worthwhile to say.
langford replying to a comment from ? / February 23, 2010 at 08:16 am
well said. when did people become so negative?
Dave replying to a comment from ? / February 23, 2010 at 11:20 am
Well put.
keven replying to a comment from Rachel / February 23, 2010 at 11:40 am
Street Style. Not high fashion from the runways of the DVP :P

Nicki's scarf looks so warm and comfortable. Adam seems to have a good sense of humour about himself, love his casual style sans the shoes.
? / February 24, 2010 at 07:24 pm
why is everyone who leaves comments in these street style posts a hater? i thought style was about personal expression? we all have our own personal tastes but it doesn't mean that we have to put down what these people are wearing and make snarky comments about them just because they don't conform to our idea of what style is. Honestly, if you're not going to write a constructive criticism, then don't bother commenting at all.
anon. / February 24, 2010 at 07:25 pm
does anybody else feel that this shopsterium girl is like selfpromoting her own blog everytime in these posts?
mike replying to a comment from anon. / February 24, 2010 at 07:44 pm
well of course theres's a little self promotion but give her credit for actually commenting on BlogTO... She's not spamming
shopsterium replying to a comment from mike / February 24, 2010 at 08:43 pm
Thank you Mike!

Anon, this shopsterium girl thanks you for promoting her blog with your comment :)

I love BlogTO's street style segment as it has inspired me to start shooting street style for my blog. Out of all the rude comments below, I'm sorry that mine bothers you the most :(
Joe mistro replying to a comment from Jenelle / February 25, 2010 at 10:49 pm
Yo janelle. I'm friends with Adam B. I can hook you up. What what.
Joe mistro replying to a comment from Jenelle / February 25, 2010 at 10:50 pm
Yo Janelle. I can hook you up with Adam B. What what
Nicky / June 21, 2010 at 01:39 am
I think I might know Julia. I'm not sure though because I haven't seen her in a long time.