Sunday, November 23, 2014Mostly Cloudy 8°C
Fashion & Style

Street Style: Bay and Bloor

Posted by Theo R / February 1, 2010

street styleName: Kaitlin
Occupation: Associate buyer
My style: I wear mostly vintage clothing.
Favourite item: My boots. The brand is Frye.
Sweater: It's a '60s curling sweater. I got it in Kensington Market.
Earrings: They're handmade by a Toronto designer. I really like accessories with feathers.

Name: Adela
Occupation: Teacher
My style: A lot of what I wear, I design, I sew, I make.
Favourite item: My boots. I got them at a second-hand store. I like the colour and design.
Bag: My mom gave it to me.

street styleName: Dave
Occupation: Media planner
My style: I do a lot of androgynous stuff - simple, with a bit of a twist.
Favourite item: The coat. It's Krane, so it's by a Toronto-based designer. It's made out of military blanket.

Name: Claire
Occupation: Actress/artist/freelance writer
My style: I generally throw together what I find on my floor, but that happens to be a tickle trunk of things (laughs).
Favourite item: The boots. They're Portuguese, but I can't remember the name of the company. I got them at Balisi on College. They're made of sheepskin on the inside and they're really warm.
Favourite places to shop: Kensington Market, Penny Arcade.

street styleName: Cedric
Occupation: Graphic design student/retail salesperson
My style: A bohemian kid who went to prep school.
Favourite item: This coat. Every time I wear it, I get compliments. It fits well, and it's a good find - for a vintage store (Value Village).
Boots: These were 20 bucks on eBay. The brand is Justin.

Name: Laura
Occupation: Party facilitator
My style: I can do conservative, but I like to be a little "funkified."
Favourite item: My boots, because they're edgy. I picked them up because they spoke to me. They said, "You have to have me!" and they were on sale (laughs).
Animal print accessories: Everything is faux. It gives a "nature" look to things, and I'm kind of a nature girl.

street styleName: Veronika
Occupation: Stay-at-home mom
My style: Dressy, modern.
Favourite item: This coat, because it's warm and it's fancy.

Name: Angie
Occupation: Fashion design student
My style: Random.
Favourite item: My Aldo bag, because it's colourful.

odd / February 1, 2010 at 09:21 am
Im confused...if Veronika is a "stay at home mom" why is she out, dressed to the tits and not at home making supper and changing diapers?

ugh / February 1, 2010 at 09:23 am
Poor Cedirc. He looks pure evil.
Think we have the next killer on the upcoming season of Dexter...
Yay, finally! / February 1, 2010 at 09:30 am
Finally, some fashion! Dave, Claire, Cedric and Veronika are some of the best I've seen on this site so far. They have personal style and stay away from calling themselves "funky." Thank god.
da / February 1, 2010 at 09:39 am
sweet cat bag!
Darcy McGee / February 1, 2010 at 09:46 am
Veronika needs to be spanked.
matt on his bike / February 1, 2010 at 09:58 am
what the hell is a "party facilitator" and how do I get that job?
agentsmith / February 1, 2010 at 10:12 am
Well hello, Kaitlin.

I'm guessing that for Veronika, "stay-at-home mom" basically means rich housewife.
Cassi / February 1, 2010 at 10:20 am
odd: The same question could be asked of Adela. Why isn't she at work teaching right now? She should live at the school imo.
belvedere replying to a comment from Darcy McGee / February 1, 2010 at 10:25 am
You spank Veronika, you better watch out.... her Russian Mafia husband gonna chase you down.
shopsterium / February 1, 2010 at 10:27 am
It's a small world - I took Kaitlin's photo for my street style 2 weeks ago :)
d / February 1, 2010 at 10:46 am
dont you cover mens gear ?
anon / February 1, 2010 at 10:49 am
why are all the street style features taken in the dumbest areas, aka downtown core?
Randy / February 1, 2010 at 11:28 am
Adela got her shoes at a second-hand store? Yuck! What is it with women that they'll wear disgusting shoes that have been on another women's feet? Guys would never do this.

Adela, you're (allegedly)a teacher... try PayLess next time.
Spadina / February 1, 2010 at 11:35 am
Ten bucks says that Veronika is married to a Leafs player.
Hugo / February 1, 2010 at 11:46 am
I can't believe you were standing outside Holt Renfrew and this is the best you could do.
Moist replying to a comment from anon / February 1, 2010 at 11:47 am
As opposed to a suburban strip mall in North York? Yeah, I see your point.
Suppertime replying to a comment from odd / February 1, 2010 at 11:57 am
Her nanny does that, obviously.
Look at that Chanel purse and that jacket! This lady is not a traditional housewife! By housewife, she means to say she goes out shopping with her rich husband's money....
S. / February 1, 2010 at 11:59 am
I wouldn't mind being Veronika's version of a stay at home mom.
J. / February 1, 2010 at 12:06 pm
Poor Kaitlin. While very fashionable, she looks cold.

You know, it IS winter after all.
Miriam / February 1, 2010 at 12:06 pm
Dave: Wow a military blanket coat, I find that pretty great. Must be warm also.

Veronika: That is some classy stay-at-home mama. :)
Vintage / February 1, 2010 at 12:10 pm
I have vintage hockey cards at home... I think I am going to bring them out now that vintage is so cool!

Imagine being Veronika's kids waiting for her to get ready so they can go out for lunch together at North 44 (lunch would quickly turn into dinner!)
Let's Party! replying to a comment from matt on his bike / February 1, 2010 at 12:12 pm
"party facilitator" means unemployed and have lots of parties paid for by mom and dad!
Let's Party! / February 1, 2010 at 12:13 pm
Angie looks like the before marrying rich husband and Veronika is the after... look closely, they are the same person...
creep / February 1, 2010 at 12:19 pm
I wouldnt let Cedric near my kids.
Got that pedo look in his eye.
Cobretti / February 1, 2010 at 12:51 pm
Wow, slim pickins at Yonge and Bloor, eh? That area is such a dweeb-fest. Cat bag a notable exception, obviously.
handfed / February 1, 2010 at 01:45 pm
Why isn't Veronika at home, changing diapers? Why isn't Adela in the classroom? What's with these independent do-nothing women, walking around during the daytime, suckling on the Canadian taxpayers' tit?!

WOW, we got some insecure men on this board!
noshite / February 1, 2010 at 01:50 pm
There's a shocker, Dave likes androgynous stuff.
He's the Ziggy Stardust of Street Style.
Thar or he has a touch of the downs.
hmm replying to a comment from anon / February 1, 2010 at 02:49 pm
because people judge/harass/give dirty looks to "good" "style" anywhere outside the downtown core aka... it ends at parkdale/lesville and goes as far north as yonge/eg.
EricM / February 1, 2010 at 03:04 pm
Bravo! Once again a life changing piece.
Patrick / February 1, 2010 at 03:07 pm
I suppose hating on the people rather than the clothes they're wearing is a step backwards ultimately, but at least it's something different. BlogTO posters! I still look forward to your development into not-particularly-hateful citizens.
nitroMiner replying to a comment from odd / February 1, 2010 at 03:11 pm
I'll say you're confused.

gabe replying to a comment from odd / February 1, 2010 at 03:23 pm
Cause she's got rich hubby and a nanny AND its none of your bee's wax!!!!
CloverLeaf replying to a comment from Moist / February 1, 2010 at 03:27 pm
Wow! Suburban strip mall? North York? You're from Pembroke or Chatham aren't you? Must be. It's the only rational explanation as to why you would use suburban & North York in the same sentence. P.s. I despise out of towners who think they'd speak of my city as if they know it.
Rename this piece / February 1, 2010 at 03:28 pm
let's change this from "Street Style" to "Sad People With No Friends"
far replying to a comment from CloverLeaf / February 1, 2010 at 03:30 pm
Im from Toronto and I agree, North York is a suburb.
Maybe not by definition...but it is pretty much Gods country.
Not Cloverleaf replying to a comment from CloverLeaf / February 1, 2010 at 03:59 pm
I live on Queen West. I don't even know where Pembroke or Chatham are.

I suppose technically North York is not a suburb, because it has a business core and is politically amalgamated with Toronto, but it is primarily a bedroom community for Toronto and hence still a suburb in my mind.

Sensitive much?
shopsterium / February 1, 2010 at 04:15 pm
Why is everyone so envious of Veronika? Just because she has kids, she's not allowed to leave her house wearing anything else than lululemon sweats and uggs?
Andrika / February 1, 2010 at 06:27 pm
Dave looks super hot on a super cold day
mondayjane / February 1, 2010 at 06:28 pm
love this installment! It's great that Veronika gets so gussied up to go out, she looks fabulous.
Kenny / February 1, 2010 at 07:33 pm
Dave... I definitely want that coat. Badass and looks warm. Probably costs a pretty penny though!

Veronika... Helloooooo Nurse! Yuppie trophy wife f'sure, but gots style.
jack / February 1, 2010 at 08:16 pm
party facilitators are those who hand out condoms and lube at parties
k / February 1, 2010 at 09:02 pm
wow, the comments on this post are disgustingly malicious.
yep replying to a comment from k / February 1, 2010 at 10:23 pm
Agreed
cocoa replying to a comment from Not Cloverleaf / February 2, 2010 at 02:03 am
Hmm, this is a toughie. North York has all the ugly suburban flourishes of western Scarborough/eastern Mississauga(severe car culture, low density sprawl, strip malls galore) BUT it has a small collection of tall-ish buildings and it's full of poor minorities, like a city!

So maybe it's somewhere in between a suburb and a city.

Either way, what isn't in doubt is that people who have to prove their torontonian-ness by putting down those who don't know the city are clowns.
CloverLeaf / February 2, 2010 at 02:22 am
Toronto is similar to NYC in that we are comprised of many 'boroughs'/municipalities since the 1998 Amalgamation. I dare you to tell someone from the Bronx or Brooklyn that they're not from New York just because they're not ON the island or in the city core. It's the layout/design of the city where you have a city centre core and neighborhoods surrounding it because that's just the way cities are built. Anything outside of the city core hasn't been a 'suburb' since the 1950's, but if you were all true Torontonians there would be no need for me to explain this. Stick to what you know, which is putting down and discussing people's fashions, and leave the city talk to grown folks.
Inkit Myway / February 2, 2010 at 02:29 am
wear loads of dark and bright colors like orange goes owsum with blue,grey and purple to have a cozy and safer feeling in the season of hot and cold.i'd like to mention Leigh Lezark’s unique style and Erin Wasson to get a cindy crawford feeling and girl olivia and Nicky Hilton are next to mention.
L / February 2, 2010 at 12:18 pm
Veronika is my idol. Cedric is giving way too much attitude in his pic. It makes him look ridiculous. I think Claire looks really cute and weather appropriate. Dave's coat is great, and it does look really warm, but I think that if he brought the coat to a tailor and shortened the sleeves a touch he would look even better! Overall, great pics this week!
North York replying to a comment from Not Cloverleaf / February 2, 2010 at 02:07 pm
People like CloverLeaf think anything north of Bloor is not Toronto... they don't go past there cause you can't get "vintage" stuff at Yonge and Eglinton and they don't go to North York cause people would think they are homeless with their "vintage" stuff on...
Four Leaf replying to a comment from CloverLeaf / February 2, 2010 at 02:40 pm
You're talking about what a North Yorker is vs. what North York is, which are different things. Somebody who sleeps in North York is "from" Toronto writ large, because they go to school in Scarborough or work downtown or shop in Mississauga or have a 416 phone number, in other words, they live in the GTA. But North York is a place discrete from Toronto and is properly considered a suburb, because it's not self-sustaining. It's a satellite of Toronto.

BTW, how is "Toronto like New York" in that it has boroughs? Every city has boroughs. Name one city that doesn't have boroughs. Borough is just another name for suburb.
ttt / February 2, 2010 at 07:37 pm
Kaitlin is hooooot!
wannabeEtobicoite / February 2, 2010 at 09:11 pm
OMG CLOVERLEAF, are you like from like Toronto. That must be super exciting. Do you like, go downtown and then take the 2 subway lines all over 'your' megacity? Do you go get boho in kensington or live it up on Queen West? Do you go explore all the different boroughs and think 'what would life be like if i lived in the beaches'? Toronto is nothing like New York City, keep telling yourself that though while you go explore the borough of Etobicoke.
CloverLeaf / February 2, 2010 at 10:21 pm
North York - You cannot read. Go back and reread what I wrote and once you makes sense of it, get back at me.

Four Leaf - You lost me at hello, but I'll answer your question along with (wannabeEtobicoite's) about my comparison of Toronto to New York. My comparison was regarding the city layout, nothing else. We're NOT New York and will never be. We're our own city with our own culture to be proud of.

Back on topic, our not-so-new megacity is comprised of several 'boroughs' that used to be their own 'cities'. Similar to New York, that is made up of 5 boroughs: Manhattan, Bronx, Queens, Brooklyn, & Staten Island. Toronto is made up of: Etobicoke, York, North York, Scarborough, East York, & old Toronto city. Hope I haven't lost you yet.

One of my biggest pet peeves are small towners who come to 'MY city' and think that Toronto is only from Lakeshore to Y&E and from Leslieville to Parkdale. This is rubbish and an insult to real Torontonians who voted against the amalgamation and megacity, yet still became it. Those were the boundaries of the 'old' Toronto prior to the amalgamation, and we're all Toronto now. So yes, I do take offense when pip-squeak, barely weaned, punk kids come to the city and act like they know what Toronto is. Learn the rich history of the city you've moved to and know your roll.
Tuna replying to a comment from CloverLeaf / February 2, 2010 at 11:40 pm
So your argument is pure semantics? I wouldn't consider Richmond Hill a part of Toronto now or even if it became part of the mega city tomorrow. But I suppose if it did I'd read up on it's rich history of urban sprawl, hydro fields, highways, and the cluster of business towers at hwy 7 and the 404.
whoops replying to a comment from Tuna / February 3, 2010 at 08:19 am
Dont forget the influx of Asians in Richmond Hill.
You conveniently glazed over that fact.
North York / February 3, 2010 at 11:13 am
My apologies for directing my comment to Cloverleaf, when in fact, I meant to direct it to Not Cloverleaf.
Clyde the orange cat / February 3, 2010 at 05:11 pm
Kaitlin looks like a douchebag
clyde the fat cat / February 3, 2010 at 05:14 pm
agreed.
Clyde the hell kitty / February 3, 2010 at 05:17 pm
her jacket looks like my scratching post and her earring my favorite toy
Jessica Lea / February 4, 2010 at 04:25 pm
I love the blue purse who designs it and where can i get it! its such a nice bright color for the grey winter in toronto!

www.deathtopants.com
leto / February 5, 2010 at 10:57 pm
no one is commenting on angie , but seriously, she is a fashion designer student. you'd expect more from her. nothing she wears look good with anything else.
Gracerz / February 6, 2010 at 01:15 am
Veronika is a fierce betch!! Work it gerl!!

Laura is a no from head to toe. Betch looks like she is trapped in the 80s and got caught by a Cheetah Snake.

Kaitlin is cutesy and trying to be Lauren Conrad real bad. Keep tryin' betch.
too bad replying to a comment from Clyde the orange cat / February 18, 2010 at 01:38 pm
i sooo agree!!
douche bag and miserable
too bad replying to a comment from Clyde the orange cat / February 18, 2010 at 01:39 pm
i agree!!
douche bag and miserible
too bad replying to a comment from Clyde the orange cat / February 18, 2010 at 01:42 pm
thats because kaitlin IS A DOUCHE BAG!!!
trust me i know
! replying to a comment from odd / February 23, 2010 at 08:32 pm
you are an idiot. they aren't chained by the ankle to the kitchen and the bedroom. is it illegal for housewives and stay-at-home moms to appear in public? does it hurt being so dumb?

kaitlin and adela's styles make me smile, but veronika is definitely my favourite of the bunch.

iron samurai wholesale / January 5, 2011 at 07:56 am
I participate in Verizon's Palm Pre Coupled with and can't non-standard like to cautious of any flash videos on the browser. I've tried to download adobe indication player but it won't seem to fail me. Anyone know what to do?