Thursday, October 23, 2014Clear 6°C
Fashion & Style

Street Style: Hobo Chic and Dark Ravers

Posted by Theo R / December 8, 2009

For this week's Street Style, I spent much of the weekend traipsing up and down Yonge Street in the freezing cold. My goal was not to just document any random looks I came across, but to photograph people that looked interesting. I got to meet a lot of friendly people, and it was fun talking to them and hearing the little stories behind the clothes.
Street Style TorontoName: Carlyn
Occupation: Student
Location: Yonge/Carlton
My style: Just weird. I like weird stuff. Tacky stuff, too.

Names: Ricardo and Jessica
Occupation: Students
Location: Yonge/Gerrard
My style (Ricardo): Dark raver.
Favourite item (Ricardo): That would be my Tripp coat. It's pretty much a bondage coat. I just love the style of it, and how the zipper is on an angle - along with all the laces to lock it up. It's kind of unique. It stands out from everybody else.
My style (Jessica): It's different every day. But today, I guess I'm kind of a raver, kind of pirate-like.
Favourite item (Jessica): My leggings, because they're different. They're not just plain, one colour.

Street Style TorontoName: Lindsay
Occupation: Theatre costume seamstress
Location: Yonge/Melinda
My style: Hobo chic. I'm wearing one mitten and mismatched socks (laughs). I don't know. I'm a little bit "whatever."
Style influences: I don't follow high fashion that much, but because I'm surrounded by costume design and that kind of thing, I think I get a bit of a theatrical influence.

Name: Morgan
Occupation: Student
Location: Yonge/Queen
My style: Mostly I wear black with a bit of grey. I don't wear bright colours.
Favourite item: Leather jacket, just because it's keeping me warm.
Favourite places to shop: Zara, MANGO, Urban Behavior.

Street Style TorontoName: Megan
Occupation: Fashion student
Location: Yonge/Charles
Outfit: I was wearing it last night, because I was at a party, and this is what I woke up in.
Favourite item: Probably my dress. It's my friend's. Or my socks. I got them from H&M. They were on sale for two bucks.

Name: Danica
Occupation: Mechanical engineer
Location: Yonge/Bloor
Favourite item: My boots, because they're really cute - and high. I had been looking for boots for a long time, and I finally found these and they were pretty cheap - 25 bucks, so I got them.
Street Style TorontoName: Sam
Occupation: Fashion design student
Location: Yonge/Gould
My style: Messy (laughs). I just throw everything on. Just whatever I like.
Favourite item: Probably my leather jacket, just because I've been obsessed with them since I was little. I feel like a good leather jacket is a good base to any outfit.

Name: Natalie
Occupation: Sales associate at Urban Outfitters
Location: Yonge/Dundas
My style: I like to wear things that are too big for me, and comfy. I like tapered pants, winter boots, big coats - stuff like that.
Favourite item: This batwing hoodie from American Apparel. It's really comfy.

Loïc / December 8, 2009 at 12:01 pm
OMG I can't wait to read the criticisms! :D
lester / December 8, 2009 at 12:01 pm
Wow this is some hiiiigh fashion stuff!
Jamie / December 8, 2009 at 12:04 pm
people are gonna have a field day with this one...
TOGirl / December 8, 2009 at 12:07 pm
Thanks Blog TO! Good to see some variety, but…I am not sure that I like any of the outfits in this post. Well, Sam look interesting, and her hair is very well taken care of. Other than that-it’s more like a bunch of kids from a bad area. And Megan- WTF? What woman admits she haven’t slept at home? That she was wearing the same thing last night?

Overall I find that this Street style has more street then style.
AV / December 8, 2009 at 12:20 pm
Too easy, i'll save my vitriol for a real challenge.
ems / December 8, 2009 at 12:23 pm
I actually really enjoyed this one! My favourite is Megan...love her honesty...I guess because it can happen to any of us who have a great time the night before. Girl must really know how to party! Good for her! The look on her face is priceless too...it's like she's saying "seriously? You are taking my picture right now? I'm so hung....."
Love it!

What style? / December 8, 2009 at 12:31 pm
Trying to make a statement by being different.
It seems like there are usually 5-6 cool "different"/stereotypical styles, everyone just picks one and feels different.
It is not different if I walk up Yonge street and count 5 styles and all similar, you keep walking and you keep seeing the same thing over and over.
Of the 6 pictures I count 3 styles. If you want to be different just be yourself.

If I see one more person with HUGE glasses with no lenses in them I think I will puke, and why do they always shop at Value Village and purposely pick the stuff in worse condition possible? Don't get me started on the used shoes from value village, style isn't worth athletes foot.

It is like going out for dinner and ordering off a menu A B or C, not being creative or daring, you are choosing from a predetermined menu that someone else set out for you.
smashy / December 8, 2009 at 12:32 pm
So, where are the *after* pictures?
AV replying to a comment from What style? / December 8, 2009 at 12:33 pm
What Style? is my hero
mjp / December 8, 2009 at 12:39 pm
I like how two separate girls are wearing those leopard-print tights in the same vicinity! :)

Interesting /= necessarily good, is really the take-away here. Most of these kids look like the faux-trashy kids I went to high school with ten years ago.. although I do like Lindsay's tights with the sage green toque, and love the colour of Sam's bag (thankfully worn with more muted ones).

Oh yeah, and Megan's wearing a t-shirt, not a dress.
Joe Bob / December 8, 2009 at 12:41 pm
Style? None of them people look like they have style.
They all look the same. What is stylish about that?
Puke
keira / December 8, 2009 at 12:46 pm
Oh, BlogTO, you were doing so well the last couple of weeks..... There was a mixture of styles and age groups and genders and races. But this week, I knew we were reverting when I saw the first 2 pics were both of students. Some nice styles here, but most of them look like they could be from the same closet..... *yawn*
Greek / December 8, 2009 at 12:47 pm
OK, I'm going to assume that everybody commenting is a fashion genius. You're all very stylish. But I'd like to see some illustration of these styles. How do YOU dress? Can you show us some POSITIVE examples? Links that demonstrate your perspective, or better yet, actual pictures of your impeccable style? Thanks
doubleE / December 8, 2009 at 12:54 pm
I can't disagree with the critisms of the outfits in this one, but don't direct the vitriol at BlogTO. Bad style or not, the truth is everyone seems to really enjoy this segment.

...and Danica is the hottest mechanical engineer I've ever seen.
Jake / December 8, 2009 at 12:55 pm
I'm new to looking at these series, but does it ever include people that dress nice. Nice in the sense of men in well tailored clothing, women who are a bit more refined in style, or is it all just normally a mish mash of value village canon blasting vintage clothing which isn't all the bad when done right to a degree.

Just wondering.
doubleE / December 8, 2009 at 12:57 pm
"criticism", of course
hc / December 8, 2009 at 01:06 pm
i think that everyone needs to remember that these people represent their own personal style. they are not wearing what they think other people want to see. if you have a personality, and you wear clothes that reflect it, good for you! and if the result is awful [in other peoples opinions] then still, GOOD FOR YOU! it's all about expression people! everyone deserves to let their creativity and personality shine through in their wardrobe choices...
if that means a few fashion faux pas throughout the years, who cares! live a little, have fun with what you wear!
pz / December 8, 2009 at 01:11 pm
ugh, gross.

value village FTW!
5andman / December 8, 2009 at 01:15 pm
It's amazing that people are starving for attention. Low self-esteem?
nikki awesome / December 8, 2009 at 01:23 pm
I was actually hoping for REAL hobos. I have been misled...
anne... / December 8, 2009 at 01:32 pm
agree with the majority of the comments above that most of the people featured this week just look terrible (i do like danica's look though - cute boots!), but when you go on a fashion treasure hunt near the eaton centre it's not surprising that this is what you find. blogto was just working with what they had!

but i have to ask - when are people going to stop wearing huge ugly eyeglasses?? even on the most attractive of people they are a hard look to pull off, and for the rest of us mere mortals - disaster.
piccola / December 8, 2009 at 01:55 pm
I love a girl who owns her walk of shame. Props, Megan.
JJ / December 8, 2009 at 02:00 pm
They all look AWESOME. Even Captain Glowstick McGoth at the top. If any of you street models are reading this, pay no attention to these hater shrivs.

Sure the outfits are a little samey. Sure they're plundering from Value Village. Who cares? They're 20 year-old broke ass students! They can wear whatever they want! That's the perk of being a 20 year-old broke ass student!

I say party on, kids! And don't let anyone tell you those glasses need lenses!
Gloria / December 8, 2009 at 02:18 pm
Yeah, if some random crazy jumped out from a corner and started screaming at how my boots didn't match my bag, I'd consider that insane and completely hostile.

You agree to let a blog photograph you for posting online and you open yourself to criticism. Duh. If these people were *not* OK with judgment, they wouldn't have agreed to be published like this.

Who asked us for our opinions? BlogTO did when they decided to make this feature and allow comments.

People, think, please.
nasty / December 8, 2009 at 02:33 pm
Hey look, it's Colonel Ricardo from the clown army.
Cookies replying to a comment from hc / December 8, 2009 at 02:37 pm
Aaron / December 8, 2009 at 02:42 pm
Carlyn looks like a young Bob Rae.
Me Too replying to a comment from JJ / December 8, 2009 at 02:46 pm
I shop at value village as well. I have no shame in that. But I also pick clothes that do not look like they came from VV. This "poor" look is the new Grunge look, nothing new, just slightly evolved from what it was. Which was likely an evolution of something else, which as we all know will come full circle and your kids will likely dress as foolish as you!

If you want to be an individual, you have to look slightly different than the other 1000's of individuals pulling off "YOUR" style. I dare any of you INDIVIDUALS to go and hang out at somewhere that is full of INDIVIDUALS, like say OCAD or Ossington/Parkdale, tell me how many people are copying your style!

KUDOS to Danica, very cute. Lindsay has some taste as well.
Tapcon / December 8, 2009 at 02:49 pm
You know what's "weird"? A giant drink from Starbucks. How random and quirky!
If only / December 8, 2009 at 03:03 pm
If only I had more time I could look through tabloid photos of celebrities wearing the exact same styles as above.

I look at all these photos and see nothing but familiarity, if these are all personal choices and styles, why do they all look so familiar?

So if being "different" involves emulating others than I am OK with being a square or what ever I am these days. I prefer to make my own decisions.

The poor student thing is funny, especially when they are trust fund babies trying to fit in with the other "poor students" When I was a student I tried to look presentable, didn't have lots of money either, style isn't expensive, it is taste! The networking you do in college and university lasts long after your schooling. Your fellow students will have an image of you that will last longer than your used shoes!
ohlala / December 8, 2009 at 03:06 pm
If only I had the time to go through some pictures of celebrities in tabloids etc. and find the style that these folks are copying. If being an "COOL" involves emulating others than I am OK being a square!
Look at each picture and think of a celebrity that they look like. I have said this for years that everyone needs to be themselves.
You get the kids in high school who are angry, so they get together and form a group of Goths.
You get a bunch of rich boy jocks, they all dress like frat boys with popped collars.
Yet, even though they have the same shirts on, they are individuals?? I find it hilarious when you see two people hanging out, dressed IDENTICALLY.
Why can't kids today just be themselves? That would stand out more than your grandmas first pair of reading glasses!
cocoa / December 8, 2009 at 03:08 pm
"If what you say is true about "individuality" than why do they all look like cookie cutters?"

I read this as "why do they all look like cutters?" and it made sense.

"Carlyn looks like a young Bob Rae."

Let's compare! <a href="http://www.blogto.com/upload/2009/12/20091205-ricardojessica.jpg";>Carlyn</a> and <a href="http://www.gazette.uwo.ca/2004/November/18/scans/01B%20Bob%20Rae.jpg";>Bob</a>.

Shit is uncanny.

double poster / December 8, 2009 at 03:09 pm
Sorry for the double post, I didn't think my first one got posted.

Artist formerly known as IF ONLY and OHLALA
nice work / December 8, 2009 at 03:16 pm
awesome... just what i want to see on the streets of toronto... more people that look homeless.
Collection Boxes / December 8, 2009 at 03:18 pm
All these years I thought that by donating my old glasses that they went to a good cause.
Now find out they make it the streets for HIGH FASHION.
Sounds like another Liberal scandal, lets ask Bob Rae what he has to say about this!
LOL.
nikki awesome replying to a comment from ohlala / December 8, 2009 at 03:21 pm
I think it's a bit "easy" (not to mention pretty judgmental for someone who is all "everyone should be themselves") to say "kids in high school are angry, so they become goths...."

if you reduce people to stereotypes so easily then why is it you expect them to then blow your mind by being so "themselves"? How would you even know the difference?

Like what, do you walk around in a patchwork quilt of a page from every book you've ever read?
Ringling replying to a comment from cocoa / December 8, 2009 at 03:24 pm
You think that is uncanny, check out Ringling Bros. Now I know where Ricardo gets his "bondage" wear.

Amanda / December 8, 2009 at 03:27 pm
wow, I'm really surprised someone classifies some of these people as fashionable. They are more people's person style than what is fashionable for right now. I've seen these outfits for several season so nothing cutting edge about the raver/punk look.

The only person who deserves to be there is Danica - and who would have figured an engineer was so stylish!
father replying to a comment from nikki awesome / December 8, 2009 at 03:29 pm
You are right Nikki, you just keep being just like your friends. You all look awesome, kind of like that circus troop.
I was so wrong to use an example to try and explain my point.

But yes, all kids are angry, and they all have father issues as well.
S / December 8, 2009 at 03:29 pm
At least Sam admits to dressing messy. I wonder about the explantions of some of the others...
nikki awesome replying to a comment from father / December 8, 2009 at 03:36 pm
um, was that meant to make sense and be a total burn?

how memorable.

zzzz
nikki awesome replying to a comment from cocoa / December 8, 2009 at 03:44 pm
"Why do they all look like cutters"

HAHAHA
jack / December 8, 2009 at 04:01 pm
i think people might have noticed i kinda stopped commenting.. as these pics are getting really stupid.. my suggestion is why don't they just wear the slutty dress featured in the American Apparel ads that have been saturating this blog all this time.. maybe they will look better
cha / December 8, 2009 at 04:04 pm
enough with the students. lets see some real style and not this mismash.
jack / December 8, 2009 at 04:05 pm
seriously, here goes..
Ricardo, where is your drum and flute that goes with the outfit.. it's not college graduation ceremony season yet.. and if it is, you will be the first one invited...you remind of that little kiddie story about this guy playing flute, and all the mice from the village would come out and follow him until they were all drowned in the river..
Vic De Zen / December 8, 2009 at 04:08 pm
I'm feeling Morgans fashion. Only because it suits her. I'm not really feeling the rest at all.
Amanda replying to a comment from cha / December 8, 2009 at 04:26 pm
yes! I second that. BlogTO should try to get pictures of professionals and forgo the "teen" fashions
cocoa feels bad / December 8, 2009 at 04:34 pm
criticism aside, i think we should appreciate people who go for something a bit different, even if it is actually contrived, derivative or a fad itself.

if everyone dressed like Danica (and in many parts of the city, everyone does) then we would all blend in with the greys and blacks of the city...that's boring.

i suspect many of us providing commentary are pretty boring dressers and toronto has never been a city that appreciates people who try to stand out...we ought to acknowledge our bitterness.
jack / December 8, 2009 at 04:35 pm
the scariest thing is some of these people are fashion student
jack / December 8, 2009 at 04:43 pm
"Favourite item: I'm wearing these new earrings. I got them in New York. They were on sale for four dollars, so they were a good bargain. "

99 cent toile paper are good bargain too.. let's wear them somewhere
Kwil / December 8, 2009 at 04:50 pm
I can't really bring myself to be overly mean or make it personal when it comes to what people wear... it is a personal choice. An expression of oneself. All I can say is that I'm left feeling rather uninspired this week. That's all.
ricardo's best friend replying to a comment from jack / December 8, 2009 at 04:50 pm
"i think people might have noticed i kinda stopped commenting"

nope! no one noticed or cares

"my suggestion is why don't they just wear the slutty dress featured in the American Apparel ads that have been saturating this blog all this time"

i disagree, it's actually kind of interesting for once to see photos of people that do not look like they stepped out of an american apparel ad. thank you for posting something different!!!
omg / December 8, 2009 at 05:08 pm
Ah my eyes! My eyes! They burn.
omg / December 8, 2009 at 05:09 pm
Those $25 dollar boots LOOK like $25 boots. Blech.
no / December 8, 2009 at 05:30 pm
These people look like they can't afford cothes, they are all too small or to big, or look like they've gone through a paper shreder... nice try, but next time try not to get dressed in the dark. go back to the cave form whence you came.
momo / December 8, 2009 at 05:31 pm
From these style posts, you'd think no woman in TO wears pants anymore.
K / December 8, 2009 at 05:48 pm
Line up, commenters!! It's time for us to see what real style looks like!

Post a picture of your totally original, non-conformist look. Finally, the myth that criticizing is easier than producing will be put to rest!
belvedere / December 8, 2009 at 05:53 pm
Please bring back the other photographer. What a waste of pixels. And can you pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez feature some more people who are more than a few days outta high school? And who haven't had a right brain lobotomy?

I agree with AV, to really critique this Street Style would be like shooting fish in a barrel. Theo R must have something skank on today's blogTO editor.
oterry / December 8, 2009 at 05:59 pm
Like the dark rave a lot! I think it takes guts for a guys in Toronto to kick against the style status quo. I haven't seen this so much on the street in the daylight so perhaps they usually do only come out at night.
steve lam / December 8, 2009 at 06:14 pm
+ @ danica & sam

LOL @ the dark raver and the avril lavigne circa 2003 reject.
hc replying to a comment from Cookies / December 8, 2009 at 06:32 pm
i'm not saying all of these people are ORIGINAL but im saying they are expressing themselves in a way that they believe is individual. even if they are fooled and are abiding by the cookie-cutter-coked-out-last-nights-party look, at least they are taking a risk in expressing themselves in SOME way.
hc replying to a comment from K / December 8, 2009 at 06:43 pm
high fives for you!
wwasfj / December 8, 2009 at 07:18 pm
YEAH BECAUSE THEY MUST ALL HAVE KNOWN THEY WERE GOING TO BE GETTING THEIR PICTURE TAKEN WHILE WALKING DOWN THE STREET. THEY ALL LIVE IN THAT AREA SO WHY WOULD THEY POSSIBLY BE GETTING ALL DRESSED UP TO WALK TWO BLOCKS AWAY FROM HOME. YOU ARE ALL DOUCHE BAGS. ON ANOTHER NOTE... THEY ARE STUDENTS, UNLESS THEY WERE BLESSED WITH ULTRA WEALTHY FAMILY, PRETTY SURE THEY WOULDN'T BE ABLE TO AFFORD DESIGNER CLOTHES ON TOP OF ALL THE COSTS THAT ARE INCLUDED WITH EDUCATION. MEANWHILE YOU ARE ALL SITTING ON YOUR COMPUTERS, BEING LAZY ASSHOLES AND PROBABLY LOOKING LIKE SHIT YOURSELVES.
fs / December 8, 2009 at 07:52 pm
Why does everyone feel like justifying parts of their outfits by saying they got their boots, socks, whatever on sale?
b / December 8, 2009 at 08:04 pm
you don't need designer clothes to have style.

i do have to say that this street style post is a bit disappointing.

it's amazing that so many of them are fashion students. ... really?

seriously? / December 8, 2009 at 08:35 pm
ALL OF YOU ARE PROBABLY TOO FAT TO WEAR ANY OF THESE CLOTHES!! Which is most likely why you're sitting behind your computers harshly criticizing others who didn't ask for it. Leave them alone! I'm sure they didn't plan for these pictures to be taken. Even if they DID walk out their door thinking "hmm a random photographer is going to walk up to me today and ask to take my picture" it probably wouldn't have mattered because NEWS FLASH they don't need to impress all of you! As for the horribly rude comments made towards Carlyn, I think she looks fantastic! No one else could even come close to pulling off what she's wearing. So if you're going to be lame and jealous of these people, keep the comments to yourself!
So... / December 8, 2009 at 08:45 pm
1. If you have nothing nice to say about the individuals featured, then don't comment. You're hiding behind a computer screen/probably hide your fat ass in sweatpants and puppy sweaters when you go out in public.
2. Yes, they are FASHION STUDENTS. Look at a fashion blog. They are considered fashionable because they are following a trend while adding their own personal spin on it. One person calls Jessica an 'avril lavigne circa 2003 reject', while others criticize the repetitive (but current) styles of the other girls. MAKE UP YOUR MINDS.
3. They all look like 'cookie cutters' as someone mentioned because THE PHOTOGRAPHER WAS LOOKING FOR HOBO CHIC AND DARK RAVERS. That's two styles. How many variations on a 'style' can you really have?

You negative Nancies suck. These girls rule.
cg / December 8, 2009 at 08:47 pm
I think people are forgetting a few things here.
1. the name of the segment is STREET style. not high fashion style. it's what people on the street are wearing
2. because of the area you're bound to get students with no money or don't care how they dress since they live 5 seconds away. and plus who cares if they all look the same. it's what they're comfortable in, and makes them feel good.
3. if you were looking for some real fashion go on the satorialist not blogto.
4. we are living in toronto, not milan,stockholm, or even new york. to fine someone who dresses nicely without being generic is close to impossible people are scared to be different in this city. there is a reason why toronto isn't on the list of places that Scott Schuman stopped for his book tour ;)
shopsterium.blogspot.com / December 8, 2009 at 09:35 pm
I wanna steal Natalie's necklace, very cute!
And Ricardo's jacket is awesome!.

Check this site out for shopping ideas in Toronto: http://shopsterium.blogspot.com
b replying to a comment from So... / December 8, 2009 at 10:28 pm
The photographer wasn't looking for hobo chic and dark ravers. That's just the title. He was looking for people who "look different".

Yes, I follow fashion blogs, including ones that capture street style such as the sart and garance. As for them being fashion students, yeah, I do wonder that. Nothing was very fashion forward. And it doesn't qualify as stylish either.

I can't say I represent the whole group as I don't bash just for the hell of it, but this post isn't inspiring, imaginative, or stylish in terms of street fashion. It doesn't mean these girls are bad looking or unworthy. But it just doesn't really fit the "Street Style" theme.
Kris / December 8, 2009 at 10:30 pm
Who cares, seriously. There's always so much bitterness from people directed at random strangers in the street. Its near impossible to determine the degree to which someone is "unique" by how they dress. All this talk about individuality or lack thereof and blah blah blah is tiring.

I would like to see some older Torontonians on this site at some point. There are many beautifully dressed older individuals with impeccable style roaming about this city. Style's about how you hold yourself + confidence.
f / December 8, 2009 at 11:33 pm
megan looks like hell
Christopher / December 9, 2009 at 12:34 am
RAVE ON!
yas / December 9, 2009 at 01:21 am
i really enjoy this one, the previous ones we blah..
good to see some variety!
Red blooded male / December 9, 2009 at 01:37 am
As the only red-blooded male posting within these comments, I must say I get a rise out of these pictures. It's great that the minorities in Toronto are getting some representation here.

Megan replying to a comment from ems / December 9, 2009 at 01:45 am
EXACTLY
Megan replying to a comment from ohlala / December 9, 2009 at 02:20 am
"being yourself" is too often mistaken for "being individual"
if you are going to try to be different, isn't that just as bad as trying to be "cool/the same as everyone else"
no one in these snapshots is trying/claiming to be individual. they are just themselves.
clearly, considering i was the one innocently walking home the morning after a party.

i dont care
Patrick / December 9, 2009 at 02:22 am
Man oh man BlogTO commenters, where's the love? They're just some people wearing some clothes. We've got to learn to see the positive, and love one another and all that new age beatnik stuff. If you aren't crazy about what you saw, that's your right, but come on, no reason to anonymously insult people's taste over the internet. What's the point of that?

I liked what Lindsay was wearing, although I wouldn't quite call it "hobo". And I liked Megan's jacket, although I feel like she was probably intensely cold in those leggings. And at the risk of sounding like a grade-A stalker, I think I've seen her on Lookbook? Oh man that's weird.

And cg, Scott Schuman did come to Toronto on his book tour. And c'mon, people aren't scared to be different in Toronto. They're probably only scared of BlogTO commenters being mean to them. ;)
Kid Specific / December 9, 2009 at 02:28 am
I've realized that it is far more fun to read this segment for the comments rather than the fashion. ALWAYS. IT IS THE ESSENCE OF HILARITY.
Megan replying to a comment from jack / December 9, 2009 at 02:30 am
i am wearing the slutty dress from american apparel! (not a t-shirt) i saw it in a magazine and thought it would be very individual of me to borrow from my friend. i truly care about looking different (which is cool)
it serves as not only a nightgown, but also a high fashion garment worth arguing over!
how silly.

oh, and i am an individual you guys
Megan replying to a comment from jack / December 9, 2009 at 02:33 am
jack, i am a fashion student
and sam is in my class.

we are individuals
Megan replying to a comment from jack / December 9, 2009 at 02:34 am
2 dollar socks
right on
Megan replying to a comment from f / December 9, 2009 at 02:35 am
i pounced on the photographer and said "hey take my picture i am awesome and individual"
Megan replying to a comment from hc / December 9, 2009 at 02:41 am
i don't know about you, but nowhere on any of our foreheads does it say we are "expressing ourselves in a way that we believe is original"
nobody tries to be non-conformist anymore. how everyone else dresses is not taken into account when we dress ourselves in the morning (unless you are me who does not dress themselves in the morning)
Sam / December 9, 2009 at 05:04 am
I thought you were smoking hot Megan, I just wish you would be more adventurous and show off some more of those great legs of yours.
jack replying to a comment from Megan / December 9, 2009 at 08:10 am
Megan, i am glad you make good use of the slutty dress...sounds like it is truely versatile..i hope the night gown eventually comes off to serve its slutty purposes...

please people, you need to buy those slutty american apparel dresses since they spend so much money placing ads on blogto..if you don't, tim is not going to afford to keep this blog up...even if you have to buy some AA shirts and fix them for your pets.. it's still good
miro replying to a comment from Greek / December 9, 2009 at 08:13 am
EMS / December 9, 2009 at 08:23 am
I applaud BlogTO for their authenticity. This segment doesn't pretend to be the Sartorialist...and thank goodness for that. If we want Toronto to become a city with a better reputation for individuality...then we need to get rid of the people who chastise others for dressing how they want....go back to the burbs or stay there please. Whether it's "being an individual" or simply just not giving a shit...bravo to all of the people brave enough to have their picture taken and subject themselves to such ignorant and cowardly judgements by people safe at home behind their computer screens.

Dawn / December 9, 2009 at 09:02 am
There is no love in T.O.
Sunny Fong replying to a comment from Aaron / December 9, 2009 at 11:06 am
LMAO

Nice to see this still happening!
Sunny Fong replying to a comment from Dawn / December 9, 2009 at 11:06 am
There's also no style. OH FACE.

Purple Sock Puppette replying to a comment from Megan / December 9, 2009 at 11:19 am
Megan's Street Style FTW! I like the story behind the outfit, it looks eclectic and she seems comfotable and nonchalant. Age appropriate too.

When I was a student, I used to wear a mixture of office clothes (because I worked in Admin for one of the faculties), clean casuals (because I also worked in lounge near campus), and sometimes on my days off, long cardigans over sleeveless tops, paired with my boyfriend's pyjama bottoms (which I cut off) and ankle boots. Because it was comfortable, fun, and the sheer silliness of it made me giggle. I knew then that there was only one time in my life that I could serve my purpose (being a student or whatever) and wear whatever I want. This post made me nostalgic for my youth.

What's your problem, jack? Don't like slutty dresses? You like to insinuate a woman is a slut for what she wears (over the internet too, like a real individual)?: "..i hope the night gown eventually comes off to serve its slutty purposes..."
What slutty purposes would those be? Enthusiastic consensual sex? Your mom had sex. Did she have slutty purposes too?

Dude416 / December 9, 2009 at 11:24 am
Sunny Fong is the man of style.

Danica is hot, and i'd love to bone her.
Human male with no sense of style replying to a comment from Dude416 / December 9, 2009 at 12:10 pm
These guys all look pretty cool; you bloggers are absolutely brutal to these random pedestrians! I must say that Danica really pulls off her look the best though, and the fact that she's a mechnical engineer is awesome. ERTW. I second Dude416's comment as well.
Human male with no sense of style replying to a comment from Dude416 / December 9, 2009 at 12:11 pm
Rachel / December 9, 2009 at 12:54 pm
Here is street style done right:

tbsocialites / December 9, 2009 at 12:58 pm
HAHAHA. Man, there are a few things I look more forward to than the comments on this feature.
Though, I think I've finally caught on blogTO...this isn't really a style feature, is it? More like a "Toronto: We're Bigger A-Holes than New Yorkers" comments segment, isn't it?

p.s. I'm totally joking about the A-Holes comment; I've yet to actually meet an A-Hole New Yorker.
p.p.s. Please don't stop. These are hilarious!
jack / December 9, 2009 at 02:26 pm
american apparal finally is running new creative..
jack / December 9, 2009 at 03:52 pm
making this 100th comment..yay
steve lam / December 9, 2009 at 04:18 pm
still can't stop laughing at the raver dude and the mall punk gf!
jack / December 9, 2009 at 04:56 pm
loving all these new unisex long sleeves american apparel ads.. now why don't they feature any men wearing these long sleeves shirt and doing slutty poses
really? replying to a comment from Rachel / December 9, 2009 at 07:09 pm
i don't get it
belvedere / December 9, 2009 at 10:45 pm
Man, you just gotta love that American Apparel website...it is soft porn cranked...especially the "one-piece" click.

Get a clue / January 14, 2010 at 11:03 pm
"poor" fashion students? yeah right, get a clue. These chicks stay up all night snorting yak and then skip out the next days classes because they look like this.

Also, in case you didn't know, when a photographer comes up to you to take your picture, you can say no. How else did the writer get all the answers from these people? Mind reading?