Saturday, November 1, 2014Light Snow 1°C
Fashion & Style

Street Style: Inspired by Fashion Week

Posted by Jonathan Loek / October 20, 2009

What are you wearing for Fashion Week? With all this fashion talk in the air, I hit the streets yesterday hoping to see some interesting stuff. This is part one in what will be five consecutive Street Styles this week - one for each day of Toronto Fashion Week.

Street Style Toronto Fashion WeekNames: Meaghan and David

Field: Teacher
Favorite Item: Belt

Name: Shawna
Field: Intern at Greta Constantine
Favorite Item: Greta Constantine Dress

Jane / October 20, 2009 at 10:51 am
The tights and short boots edition?
I love fall style.
DS / October 20, 2009 at 10:52 am
MORE HETROSEXUAL MEN PLZ
badbhoy / October 20, 2009 at 11:04 am
The two models need to smile and eat a burger.
Andrew Nicholas McCann Smith / October 20, 2009 at 11:17 am
Kevin's outfit and Ramona's tights are great!
jinxx008 / October 20, 2009 at 11:19 am
*tee hee*....I was with these people yesterday at Sunny Fong's show!!
hels / October 20, 2009 at 11:29 am
I heart the seal behind Tristan and Kevin. Very much this season's trend.
LR / October 20, 2009 at 11:36 am
Really, REALLY disappointed to see you promoting fur like that. What makes wearing carcass stylish exactly?
donna / October 20, 2009 at 11:57 am
These are great! So stoked to see this feature expand for LGFW.

LR - Preachy, preachy. How do you even know that's real? Zara sells some wonderful faux.
LR replying to a comment from donna / October 20, 2009 at 12:00 pm
Well she referred to it as her "fur" which makes me think its probably real.
But regardless... I don't even like fake fur.
I just think this site could be promoting a lot nicer (on many levels) fashion.
fashion impaired / October 20, 2009 at 12:00 pm
Wow - certainly the hottest collection of people you've ever profiled

Samantha? niiiiiiice.
LR / October 20, 2009 at 12:01 pm
AND, those two girls looks like hobos. /end rant.
Amanda replying to a comment from badbhoy / October 20, 2009 at 12:19 pm
they're smizing ;) but yes, burgers would probably help them even more.
handfed / October 20, 2009 at 12:23 pm
on second thought, an explanation of my comment above: I am likening Samantha's outfit to that of a high-class European prostitute.
hels replying to a comment from LR / October 20, 2009 at 12:30 pm
I think we should all be dressing up as animals for the winter months.
kd / October 20, 2009 at 12:31 pm
i think meaghan was the recent winner of canada's next top model, no?
Jane replying to a comment from LR / October 20, 2009 at 12:32 pm
Just because you don't like fake fur doesn't make it unfashionable. Real fur disgust me but some people make faux work.

Explain "nicer fashion."
hendrix / October 20, 2009 at 12:52 pm
i'd bang Shawna and Ramona.
Miriam / October 20, 2009 at 12:53 pm
Ahh thank you Fashion week. :) Best post I've seen so far.
DjDATZ replying to a comment from Jane / October 20, 2009 at 12:54 pm
Love the stockings and boots! So hot!
LR replying to a comment from Jane / October 20, 2009 at 12:57 pm
Nicer ethically, nicer environmentally, and nicer looking.
TheRussian replying to a comment from LR / October 20, 2009 at 01:04 pm
Do you eat meat? How about fish or eggs? Do you wear leather shoes and bags? Do you wear dawn-filled winter coats? So PLEASE explain me the difference between all that and wearing fur? These animals are bread for their fur/skin/meat. Fur is warm and durable, and it looks good. I can’t believe people here don’t wear it!!! When I was growing up , a woman without a fur coat was considered poor and unfortunate. Seriously, Canada is not warmer then Russia, everyone should own a fur coat to keep them warm in winter.
Kaitlin / October 20, 2009 at 01:07 pm
Great photos! Sam looks amazing!
Kaitlin / October 20, 2009 at 01:19 pm
Great photos! I love Samantha's look.
m / October 20, 2009 at 01:21 pm
How come Meaghan needs to eat a burger, but Samantha doesn't?

And .. really? Samantha does look like a hooker; I just don't see the appeal!
fashion impaired replying to a comment from m / October 20, 2009 at 01:28 pm
An unappealing hooker would not be a very successful one.

Love the thigh-high boots! Note to self: book European vacation.
Jamie / October 20, 2009 at 01:41 pm
My favs are Meaghan, Samantha and Shawna. They look so cool! Makes me proud to be a Torontonian.
deenut / October 20, 2009 at 02:05 pm
Nikki is my fav...love the boots. but not the fur love.

Hater / October 20, 2009 at 02:10 pm
you are all a bunch of losers for even caring...
Hso / October 20, 2009 at 02:12 pm
Great column, better every week!
suddenly susan / October 20, 2009 at 02:32 pm
Those are some fine-looking men. Hot dayum!

Love the seal holding the "Stop the Seal Slaughter" sign, hijacking the photo of Tristan and Kevin --tee hee!
JP / October 20, 2009 at 02:57 pm
I have no comment on the clothes or looks...just wonder why everyone profiled invariably is a spunky small-business owner or an artsy type? In this post, there's one teacher and someone who works in "distribution", whatever that means. Everyone else: Actor! Hair dresser! Writer! Fashion intern!

Let's see some secretaries or copy editors or just record-store clerks, dammit! Most of us do NOT have glamorous jobs.

And Samantha don't look like no student I've ever seen...
jack replying to a comment from DS / October 20, 2009 at 04:25 pm
unfortunately, heterosexual men don't know how to dress, not their fault, just not in their gene

David has the most feminine body.. even more feminine that all the women featured hair.. love his long hair.. and what's with his plucked eyebrows

Romana - hot.. she is the most well dressed here..
jack replying to a comment from DS / October 20, 2009 at 04:29 pm
Samantha, obviously, is not a student..lol student, give me a break
mondayjane / October 20, 2009 at 05:16 pm
Love love love. The best Street Style yet!
J-Dawg / October 20, 2009 at 05:26 pm
Tristan looks great, where do I buy clothes like that

BUT I DO NOT LIKE HIS BROWN SHOES
b / October 20, 2009 at 05:45 pm
I actually like this column more and more. Good job.

Now, here are some petty comments: I hate it when people gripe that someone needs a sandwich just by looking at their picture. In that vein of logic, Samantha needs a sandwich just as much as Meaghan. Meaghan and David - what a striking pair! Samantha is a bit LA I think.
Hot / October 20, 2009 at 05:58 pm
I have ot say people in TO definitely have good style sense. And I also have to say is that Samantha girl is smokin hot!
J / October 20, 2009 at 06:20 pm
Toronto fall fashion seems to consist of girls forgetting to put their pants on.

I don't care how thin you are, your vagina is still falling out all over the place.
LR replying to a comment from TheRussian / October 20, 2009 at 06:31 pm
Um... obviously I don't eat meat. And I gotta say I don't like all the leather thats in style right now either.
I super happy for you that you come from a place that promotes the wearing of dead things. But please don't try and force that style here, or I'm gonna be puking all over the place.
Jane replying to a comment from LR / October 20, 2009 at 07:37 pm
Anyone who says "obviously," especially over the Internet, about themselves and something completely not obvious, is far more ignorant than anyone who wears fur to keep warm.

Did you ever take history class? Count how many cultures you're currently insulting. And I hope you don't ever shop at the HBC, because lord knows how many animals they killed during their fur-trading days.
cocoa / October 20, 2009 at 07:38 pm
Yeah, Tristan looks cool, bring back the thing where you ask people what their favourite store is.

I like his brown shoes too.
Jane replying to a comment from JP / October 20, 2009 at 07:38 pm
...It IS Fashion Week after all. All the "artsy" people are in town, out and about.
Alex / October 20, 2009 at 07:49 pm
Aaaand this is why I love autumn in Toronto. One of the reasons.
Alex / October 20, 2009 at 07:53 pm
I love Toronto.
pants / October 20, 2009 at 08:27 pm
boyfriend blazers need to end. now. please.

and Toronto, ain't you heard? http://www.tightsarenotpants.com/
cocoa / October 20, 2009 at 08:45 pm
more apropos: tightsarenotpantsforfatpeople.com
John / October 20, 2009 at 09:17 pm
that one dude looks like Tom Wiseau if Tom Wiseau where a Gundam Wing character.
Amy / October 20, 2009 at 09:32 pm
This set is great. Fall style is lovely!
moony / October 20, 2009 at 10:00 pm
ramona's the most stylish teacher i've ever seen.
septic face / October 20, 2009 at 10:28 pm
David is repping hot Asian men. Love it.
JP replying to a comment from Jane / October 20, 2009 at 10:50 pm
That it's Fashion Week hadn't escaped my notice. However, this feature always has artsy types, Fashion Week or no.
L / October 21, 2009 at 12:07 am
although everyone here looks amazing, i would like to know where are these people all going dressed so fancy? or is this just a random day in their lives? is samantha on her way to school wearing those boots? i clearly need to step up my game.
Eric / October 21, 2009 at 02:03 am
Nice. I need to get me some sealskin gloves for my eternally frozen hands.
Meera / October 21, 2009 at 02:56 am
Interesting group (but, yes, the fur is disgusting). I do second the comments about Toronto girls seemingly having trouble remembering their pants, though.

I've been reading this feature for a few weeks now, and wondering why there have been so few non-thin people profiled? Obviously the easy availability of 'fashionable' clothing for the thin folks means that skinny fashionable people are generally more plentiful, but lots of fat people are damn good at putting together great outfits. The people in Street Style hardly come close to representing the range of body types in Toronto; more body diversity would enhance this feature greatly!
piccola / October 21, 2009 at 07:38 am
Those are some well-dressed men. Overall, a really stylish bunch, though I wish they'd stop with the sexyface.

I think people are reading way too much into this feature - it's just a bunch of photos to show what people are wearing, not a reflection/critique on our society.
MelS / October 21, 2009 at 12:17 pm
Hahah i didn't even notice the seal man in Tristan and Kevins photo, hillarious! That's a good thing we have these comment boards, not even just for free speech and dialogue but also to highlight things we'd otherwise not notice in a morning coffee haze.. Can't say how many times I second and third the fact they have forgotten their pants! I mean sure Sam looks hot but I personally draw the line when i start to look like a Loose Lohanite. As for piccola's post i don't really think anyone was reading into this as a reflection on society as a whole, this is for fashion week, therefore I'd say the subject (fashion) is appropriate.
LR replying to a comment from Jane / October 21, 2009 at 02:49 pm
Gee... sorry Jane. I figured any intelligent person could figure out for themselves that anyone ranting about fur PROBABLY doesn't eat meat either.
My mistake... I forgot that the internet makes you stupid.
I never said I had a problem with indigenous cultures performing their ancestral rites, and using an entire animal for food, clothing, tools, etc.
I DO have a problem with whiny hipsters wearing fur for fashion. And with animals being bred specifically for that purpose when the rest of their bodies go to waste. Same goes with the meat industry.
photography / October 22, 2009 at 08:56 am
Thanks for your blog. It is nice
soupsoup / October 22, 2009 at 04:07 pm
Samantha looks amazing! and her bag is to die for.
Jess P replying to a comment from kd / November 10, 2009 at 01:54 pm
Yuuup. Meaghan was definately the latest winner of AMNTM: Canada. She was great! too bad she doesn't "Smeyes"