The Bicycle Opera Project
The Bicycle Opera Project Toronto show June 30th at 8 pm at Rustic Owl Gallery 993 Bloor St. W
On tour: July 2 - 10 Peterborough, Port Hope, Belleville, Prince Edward County, Kingston, Gananoque
Conceived by two bicycle-commuting opera singers merging their love for the operatic repertoire with their passion for contemporary social issues, The Bicycle Opera Project is dedicated to bringing fantastic, new, timely Canadian music to communities across Ontario…by bicycle! The Bicycle Opera Project strives to:
• bring music by Canadians to Canadians who might otherwise have little opportunity to hear it.
• close the distance between audiences and opera singers through performance in intimate spaces such as converted barns and galleries.
• bring opera outside and into the everyday world through busking and guerilla art.
• demythologize the idea of “the opera singer” (we get dirty too!)
• provide a car-free alternative to touring.
All six operatic scenes are by living Canadian composers and librettists, and have been adapted for guitar, violin and accordion. Alternately poignant and whimsical, heart-wrenching and apt, they address mental health issues, broken families, love in the nuclear age. They tell of a homeless seagull, a hilariously awkward meeting, a boy whose father might never come back, two girls who must rescue their teddy bear from zombie pirates.
Featuring musicians Nadia Chana, Larissa Koniuk, Rebecca Bruton, Gabi Charron-Merritt and Alex Samaras, and works by Adam Scime, Christopher Thornborrow, Brian Harman, David Brock, Anna Höstman, Michael Albano, Juliet Palmer, Julie Salverson, Darren Russo, and Anusree Roy. this hour-and-a-half program is all in English and is an ideal first-time opera experience.
Tickets are $20 and available online at www.bicycleopera.ca or by calling 647 785 4935, or e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org