Tuesday, October 13, 2015Mostly Cloudy 12°C
Eat & Drink

The top 5 vegan ice cream sandwiches in Toronto

Posted by Liora Ipsum / August 24, 2014

vegan ice cream sandwiches TorontoThe top vegan ice cream sandwiches in Toronto will keep dairy-averse folks from missing out on some of Toronto's tastiest frozen treats. By popular demand, I've assembled this list of the ultimate, hand-held frozen alternatives for those living life dairy-free. (Bonus: Many of them omit gluten as well.)

Honourable mentions go to Bunner's Bake Shop and APieCalypse Now!, who both make delicious (but not frozen) cookie sandwiches - so, technically, they're whoopie pies (though I bet they taste great too, if you store them in the freezer).

Here are my picks for the top vegan ice cream sandwiches in Toronto.

Doug's Public Kitchen
While not available at his eatery, you'll find Doug McNish slinging handheld frozen treats ($6) at the Evergreen Brick Works weekly Saturday farmers' market. Nestled between gluten-free vegan cookies or Belgian wafflettes, select from Pleasantville Creamery ice cream flavours like summer berry, almond butter ripple or double raw cacao.

Tori's Bakeshop
Vegans in the Beach(es) can enjoy this nostalgic frozen treat at this dairy- and refined sugar-free bakeshop. The house-made chocolate ice cream is made of dates, cashews and coconut cream, and is available sandwiched between two gluten-free oatmeal chocolate chip cookies for $5.

Coco and Cowe Confectionery
While vegan creations aren't reliably stocked in this bike-powered ice cream cart, they can be made to order. Inquire about raspberry sorbet sandwiched between dairy-free, gluten-free almond sponge cake ($5), available for special orders and catering gigs.

Cookie Martinez
Found in the 707 Market at Scadding Court, this cargo container vendor offers a vegan and gluten-free version of their popular ice cream sandwiches. Enjoy a scoop of creamy coconut ice cream nestled between crunchy almond cookies.

Among the line-up of mix-and-match cookies and ice creams at this Bloorcourt bakeshop you'll find a vegan, gluten-free oatmeal chocolate chip cookie, as well as dairy-free ice creams in flavours like raspberry and chocolate. Ask for both frozen flavours together for delicious results.

Did I miss any? Share your favourite vegan ice cream sandwiches in the comments.

Photo via Coco and Cowe on instagram.

MISHYGEE / August 24, 2014 at 01:17 pm
It's funny to me, because when you take animal products out of food to no doubt protect your heart (cholesterol), some friends of mine who are vegans ignore the sugar count. Note: Just as important Sugar is dangerous for your heart and in some cases more so than anything else we eat. If this is a good tasting sandwich (without an animal product), please don't forget to note the sugar levels and whenever possible replace sugar with 'splenda'
gdot replying to a comment from MISHYGEE / August 24, 2014 at 02:14 pm
I was with you until the "replace sugar with splenda" part. I mean, really!
John / August 24, 2014 at 02:59 pm
I don't think people are vegans for their heart health. Pretty sure it has more to do with animal welfare.
EDGK / August 24, 2014 at 03:07 pm
The first reason to take animal products out of food is to protect the animals. Protecting the environment and our own health are also very important reasons not to eat animal products,
but we accomplish none of those by using products like splenda. There are plenty of sources of sweet taste that don't require us to damage our health further by ingesting harmful chemicals.

BlogTO, thanks for printing this list. I'd never have thought of Bakerbots as a source of anything vegan, but I undoubtedly will now.
MISHYGEE / August 24, 2014 at 03:20 pm
Any other source of sweetner is NOT safe for the heart health and that does includes honey. Splenda is safer than glucose-fructose and to date is the SAFEST sweetener on the market with NO chemical or carcinogenics. This is why I mentioned it, not to advocate it. Honey, or cane, or white/brown sugar, all garbage.
MISHYGEE / August 24, 2014 at 03:22 pm
Of course I agree I am a vegetarian for my health and to save the animals ... but my health is the main reason. Keeping cholesterol down. Beef is the worst, with fish most likely the best, salmon number 1 with NO MERCURY...which is another issue, Tuna being one of the highest.
Candice / August 24, 2014 at 04:04 pm
APieCalypse does indeed make actual ice cream sandwiches - but with waffles (some chocolate some not) instead of cookies. :)

MISHYGEE / August 24, 2014 at 04:10 pm
Anyone who wants to avoid chemical had better stay away from dihydrogen monoxide then.
rek / August 25, 2014 at 09:42 am
Bang Bang at Ossington and Queen have a dairy-free ice cream and cookie option. (Not sure if it's vegan.)
Brent M / August 25, 2014 at 09:50 am
Please stop posting Top Vegan this and that lists. If you've made the decision to be vegan, you've made the decision to not really care about how your food tastes.
Vegetarian Carrots / August 25, 2014 at 09:51 am
So, is "Vegan Ice Cream" a new term for "Sorbet"? It is true, in my experience, that a lot of vegans have a VERY strong sweet tooth. Maybe the body is craving something; who knows?
Troy replying to a comment from John / August 25, 2014 at 09:54 am
Vegan Here - did it for my health first, not for the animals. I'm a selfish vegan.
Katherine / August 25, 2014 at 10:31 am
Tori's Bakeshop ice cream sandwiches are the BOMB. I don't label my eating habits, but always enjoy a delicious treat. And when I know that it's been made with my health in mind, it actually tastes even better. Forget about labelling something vegan or not, it either tastes good or it doesn't. And Tori's is definitely one to try for all food lifestyles.
@Katherine / August 25, 2014 at 11:26 am
A frozen "treat" loaded with sugar has been made with your health in mind? When people start thinking sugary desserts are health-food then they can't see the forest for the treets.
Whatever replying to a comment from Brent M / August 26, 2014 at 01:26 am
If you don't want to read the list, then don't read the list. Problem solved.
Jenni / August 10, 2015 at 06:08 am
Hey, this is for the lactose intolerance folks too, not just vegans!!
s / August 10, 2015 at 06:30 am
Thanks for this! I actually didn't know you could get ice cream sandwiches!
And I'm veg for the animals. Health comes next and, face it, we all want to cheat sometime. Nothing wrong with that :-)
How about vegan cheesecake lol does that even exist?
Candice replying to a comment from s / August 10, 2015 at 08:41 pm
Vegan cheesecake? Oh yes, you can get that.

Sweets from the Earth has amazing ones and you can find theirs in many grocery stores. http://sweetsfromtheearth.com/

Bunners makes a chocolate one: http://www.bunners.ca/

Wood & Water makes cheesecake and cheesecake pops: http://www.woodandwaterfoods.com/

And there are many many many others in town. Basically you're in luck, this is Toronto, we have options. :D