Tuesday, November 25, 2014Cloudy 1°C
Eat & Drink

KFC to sell beer at two revamped Toronto locations

Posted by Natalia Manzocco / July 24, 2014

KFC beer torontoNothing cuts through an entire bucket's worth of fried chicken grease like a crisp, refreshing lager, right? KFC knows. The fried-poultry giant is working on rolling out a new "fast-casual" (i.e. fancy) store concept, called KFC Fresh, at two Toronto locations - one at Yonge and Bloor, the other at the Stockyards. In addition to an extended menu (featuring Chipotle-biting items like rice bowls and burritos) and an actual patio at the west-end location, you'll be able to wash down your oily bucket o' heaven with an ice-cold bottle of brew.

Specifically, the company says, you'll be able to pick from a list that includes Molson Canadian, Coors Lite, Coors Banquet and Heineken. OK, who really needs flavour, anyway? Point is, you get to go to a fast food restaurant, order an alcoholic beverage, and feel like a total baller without having to travel all the way to Europe to do it. (If you want "good" beer, just take your fried chicken and growlers of Bellwoods to the park, like you do already.)

Prince Edouard of the Grand Duchy of Montferrand / July 24, 2014 at 11:56 am
Nice to see Ontario take baby steps out of the prohibition era, almost a hundred years later. If I want beer with my fast food meal, I don't see why I shouldn't be allowed to have it as I can in many other parts of the world. What is really so touchy about beer that it must be "controlled" (their words) by a government body?
1 / July 24, 2014 at 11:56 am
Glad the writer mentioned a good brand of beer. Sad to see the comments as usual ignore beer as usual.
jameson / July 24, 2014 at 12:16 pm
Stockyards is a pretty great choice.

Although I would say Steak Queen is still the best ironic choice
Derek / July 24, 2014 at 12:16 pm
Finally beer and fried chicken @ KFC Select. Dream come true! And they deliver orderit.ca!
Liz / July 24, 2014 at 12:32 pm
I haven't had KFC since getting a severe case of food poisoning from one of their restaurants 10 years ago. Not even Heineken will bring me back.
itslunchtimeca / July 24, 2014 at 12:47 pm
Lagers and malt liquor can taste pretty good with KFC. I often have a 50 with it. Not sure that you want too flavourful of a beer with fried chicken anyways. I guess aggressive sour flavours would work much like lemon and chicken but a lager with a little bitterness to cut the fat is great. Too much bitter such an IPA would through the whole thing out of whack.
iSkyscraper / July 24, 2014 at 12:50 pm
It's just their attempt to imitate Chipotle (which sells beer, remember). They even admitted the new stores were "Mexican-inspired".

It will fail.

Cissy / July 24, 2014 at 12:54 pm
Sweet! Stella!!!
links / July 24, 2014 at 12:55 pm
I agree. KFC actually tasted pretty yummy 20 years ago, it tasted so good you could even eat leftovers cold. I get cravings for the old flavour once in a while. But after indulging a number of times in recent years I've come to realize that the old recipe no longer exists. It's just a poor tasting, water pumped, oil soaked breast with none of that herb, spice & buttermilk flavour.

Not suprised people are getting sick. I saw this the other day
Jacob / July 24, 2014 at 12:56 pm
Did they close the KFC Select? I haven't had a chance to go there yet.
Ian / July 24, 2014 at 01:31 pm
I only eat at places that have Edison light bulbs.
Kate replying to a comment from Prince Edouard of the Grand Duchy of Montferrand / July 24, 2014 at 01:43 pm
You can drink at other fast food spots, it's not a "step out of prohibition" for Ontario, just KFC (i.e. there are licensed Mr. Sub locations and, of course, the now-notorious Steak Queen).
Herman Menderchuck / July 24, 2014 at 02:12 pm
Bellwoods Brewery has not sold growlers since a few months after they opened.
KFC SELECT SUCKS / July 24, 2014 at 02:14 pm
Have tried KFC Select a few times and it is very much a let down.
None of the original KFC products are featured. They have some sandwiches, burritos and taco bowls. All of which are not very great.
Working in the area, I eat lunch out almost everyday and I have tried and tried to give this place a chance but it just plain sucks.
While I know fast food is not supposed to be gourmet food, but I much preferred when this location was a KFC/Taco Bell Mix.
Reviews on this new KFC Select are not very good so I doubt this will stay around for long.
I can say the Waffle fries are good if they are fresh.
Tulse / July 24, 2014 at 02:33 pm
"featuring Chipotle-biting items like rice bowls and burritos" -- That's not as odd as it may seem, as KFC is owned by the same company as Taco Bell, and in a few places they run combined locations.
Chris replying to a comment from KFC SELECT SUCKS / July 24, 2014 at 02:36 pm
I've worked near Yonge/Bloor for ages and I occasionally dropped by the KFC/Taco Bell. Since they converted it to a KFC Select, the number of menu items has decreased, and prices have increased. I think I understand what types of places they're competing with, but they're not going to succeed. I've eaten there once, and their "Big Boss" sandwich was mediocre at best. I won't be back, especially not for beer which is available just about everywhere else you can buy a $8-12 sandwich or wrap in the area.
Josh / July 24, 2014 at 07:22 pm
The burritos at this place are nasty & cold.
James Punt / July 24, 2014 at 08:01 pm
KFC should just pull franchisees from Toronto as the clowns in this town think they are too complex for simple fried chicken. Its a shame really. Beer and Chicken - Cant go wrong.

I have a black friend and we all razz him for loving friend chicken which he absolutely does, don't we all? Can't we all just get along?
james / July 24, 2014 at 08:52 pm
i think it would be appropriate to say either growlers of INDIE ALE HOUSE, or beer from Junction Craft Brewing due to their proximity to the stockyards. yonge and bloor, just get something nice from the LCBO. and as herman pointed out bellwoods doesnt sell growlers. JESUS!!
Joe Smith replying to a comment from KFC SELECT SUCKS / July 24, 2014 at 10:25 pm
I agree with you. I have eaten here a few times and the food here was beyond nasty. The "Chicken" that they use does not even have the secret recipe!? Call this place what you want but this KFC Select blows. Whoever came up with this concept was clearly dumb and will probably not have a job for much longer. Do yourself a favor, don't eat here. Save your money and go to Popeyes a block or so down the street or eat at one of the many other much better and cheaper places around the area.
likely / August 15, 2014 at 03:23 am