Saturday, December 20, 2014Mostly Cloudy -3°C
Eat & Drink

Toronto to get its first board game and tea cafe

Posted by Liora Ipsum / March 27, 2014

tea board game cafe torontoBampot Bohemian House of Tea & Board Games is soon to open on Harbord in the cottage-style house that was once Parentbooks. Inspired by the traditions of Czech tea houses, this new spot just wants to be recognized as a laid-back hangout. Enticing people to settle in, the cafe will stock a collection of 150+ board games accessible for a $5 cover (potentially discounted with food orders).

Behind the project are husband and wife team, Andrea and Mark Heins Newell, ex-burlesque dancers taking a first foray into food service. Their indiegogo campaign to raise capital didn't quite hit its target, but the couple notes that producing the video pitch helped solidify the concept.

The niche drink list will centre around house-blended, loose leaf teas available to stay or for home brewing. An accompanying food menu aims to keep things simple and affordable offering snacks, salads, soups, and one meatless main -- likely a daily curry bowl.

The cozy 30-seat room is slated to open by mid-April, though there's potential to double capacity once the back rooms are renovated. Those with 'lax afternoons should note that the tea house plans to operate from 11am to 11pm every day but Tuesday.

Selbot / March 27, 2014 at 01:39 pm
I've had Andrea and Mark's chai and it's one of the greatest things I've ever had the pleasure of putting down my gullet! They're the most wonderful hosts and the place is gorgeous. I will be spending a lot of time there. Oooh, and everyone must try the poutine soup!
Joanna / March 27, 2014 at 02:09 pm
Not the first, Snakes and Lattes has been around for years and is fantastic!
Alexander replying to a comment from Joanna / March 27, 2014 at 02:17 pm
TEA, idiot. Snakes and Lattes is not a tea oriented business.
Kate / March 27, 2014 at 02:24 pm
I've had the pleasure of drinking tea made by these two a number of times and it has always been delicious. Their chai is literally remarkable. Can't wait until this spot opens up.
JCB / March 27, 2014 at 06:50 pm
This is getting out of hand with the board games.
Pollie / March 27, 2014 at 07:04 pm
Can't wait for the big day! Everything these two have ever offered me to eat or drink has been absolutely delicious and they have transformed the space into something truly unique, exotic yet cozy. Really looking forward to spending many an evening with friends, food and games at Bampot!
Richard / March 27, 2014 at 09:03 pm
"idiot"? Alexander, what does throwing around a word like that say about your own intelligence?

Celebrating the 'uniqueness' of a boardgame café just because it focuses more on tea than existing boardgame cafés that also serve fine tea deserves being called into question. It's not a huge distinguishing quality, even as an avid tea drinker myself. Joanna is hardly an "idiot."

Mind your manners, boy.
Owen / March 27, 2014 at 09:41 pm
With all due respect, Snakes and Lattes currently offers nine delicious teas on their menu, as well as London Fogs, iced teas, house brewed chai, and tea lattes of various flavours. While as an avid tea drinker I am excited for this new take on an existing concept, I find the title of this article somewhat spurious. Still, I look forward to visiting this place when it opens!
Hayden / March 28, 2014 at 12:28 am
I cannot believe that a Toronto focused blog could be so out of touch to proclaim "the first board game and tea cafe" in this city. Snakes and Lattes has been around for years and is a unique spot to Toronto, not many cities have anything like it. I look forward to enjoying the new cafe that is opening up, but have some class and respect the origins of the idea, please.

It doesn't make a difference if it's a "tea cafe", what's unique is that it is a board game cafe. There's nothing wrong with following what Snakes and Lattes has done - the new spot is clearly bringing their own style to it, but they were not the first in any way.
TdotRenaissance / March 28, 2014 at 11:12 am
Looking forward to checking this spot out, i must say great location as well :) thumbs up
NC / March 28, 2014 at 11:13 am
I love board games and tea. I'd be a little concerned about an over saturated market for these types of venues (which sounds funny seeing as there are really only a handful), but that's neither here nor there. Good luck to you!
Michelle replying to a comment from JCB / March 28, 2014 at 11:23 am
boo hoo, i don't like board games, i'm joyless and rude
Artem / April 4, 2014 at 08:50 am
Sure its' business model overlaps 80% with Snakes & Lattes, but the more good boardgaming joints we have in town the better.

Best of luck to these guys, I'll be paying them a visit.
niks / May 21, 2014 at 09:44 am
Nice game :)
Geri Atric / June 11, 2014 at 12:04 pm
I feel the same way about bars! Why do new bars keep opening up that use the same model of serving beer to patrons when it's already been done before!