Tuesday, October 21, 2014Cloudy 8°C
Eat & Drink

Roasters Pack is the subscription club for coffee geeks

Posted by Staff / February 26, 2014

Coffee Beans Delivery TorontoToronto has plenty of great coffee roasters but what do you do if you want to try them all - plus the dozens (and counting) of other roasters percolating across the country? If you're Suneal Pabari and Adam Frank you scratch your own itch and create The Roasters Pack, a Toronto start-up that takes inspiration from the numerous delivery services and subscription clubs. Each month they send a box containing beans from three different independent roasters.

My first box arrived this week and in it where beans from Bean North Coffee Roasting Co. (WhiteHorse) Carvalho Coffee (Oakville) and Diesel House Coffee Roasters (Bracebridge). The cost to subscribe falls between $27 and $30 a month depending on how long you sign up for but you can specify your grind (anything from Whole Beans to Extra Fine) and it all comes neatly packaged in a cardboad box making for hours of fun unboxing over the course of a year.

More info on the company's web site.

Jason / February 26, 2014 at 03:11 pm
Hope you enjoy the Carvalho. Truly excellent Brazilian coffee roasted by a master.
toomuchcoffeeman / February 26, 2014 at 03:35 pm
I like this idea, but $30 for 12 ounces of coffee beans? 3 bags of 4oz each, not even a pounds worth. It is nice to be able to try different varieties, but living in Toronto you can visit places like Dark Horse and pick up coffee from various roasters easily. This would probably make more sense for people outside of the city, or as a gift. i'd happily take this gift :)
raccoonw/bread replying to a comment from toomuchcoffeeman / February 26, 2014 at 03:57 pm
Over priced for 3/4 pound of coffee. Instead, why not spend $11 on a day pass and travel to the diffent roasters in the city with a friend one weekend. Buy 2-3 pounds of different coffee each and divide equally.
JR / February 26, 2014 at 04:00 pm
I'd guess the high price has something to do with how expensive shipping can get in Canada, but I feel like it would be more appealing if the price was lower and then shipping was priced separately depending on your location. Neat idea, but I'd sooner do the legwork myself at these prices
toomuchcoffeeman / February 26, 2014 at 04:19 pm
yeah, it must cost them $8 or so to ship the package. I really like the idea, especially as a way to get roaster's products you'd otherwise not be able to get, but Toronto especially has a vibrant roasters scene and we're well served. I could see myself buying this for a friend stuck in a small town or as a gift for a coffee loving friend.. for myself, i'll happily seek out the good roasters and buy the freshest beans.
Stork / February 26, 2014 at 04:55 pm
Once you truly start tasting specialty coffee, you will quickly understand that Toronto Roasters (Pilot, Detour, Social, PigIron, Propeller) have mediocre quality with a few nice examples squeezed in as nice surprises. A curated diversity pack of second-tier Ontario roasters does not get me excited. If it was a pack of top tier roasters (ie 49th Parallel, Bows and Arrows, Phil and Sebastian), things might different. Nice job on packaging and marketing.
Branch Manager / February 26, 2014 at 05:08 pm
Stork, get off your high horse and enjoy whichever coffee you prefer. My only beef is with the insane $30/12oz price.
Alex / February 26, 2014 at 07:02 pm
Stork - According to their site, Carvalho Coffee has won the "Cup of Excellence" award - just because these roasters aren't the popular roasters doesn't necessarily mean they're second tier.
Gabe / February 26, 2014 at 10:48 pm
Clearly not a business thats built to last probably like a 1-2yr project.
Stork replying to a comment from Alex / February 27, 2014 at 08:45 am
Alex - I have tried coffees from each of these roasters except Diesel House. My comments reflected this. Few awards mean something. Every winery in the world has won an award. Develop your palette to truly understand great tasting coffee. I continue to work on this when I am off my horse.
VLAD / February 27, 2014 at 09:11 am
Don't screw with my morning, give me the coffee I want not a pleasure pack of second tier roasts. It's OK to be a one sku sue. Not every company needs to branch out, and making me sign up for a club so you can push your latest sku's on me to make sure its work your time because you've already got my $$$ seems abit out there. Does it also come with a free coffee card, where I can get one free coffee from the roasters featured? Not everyone brews at home everyday. How can I co-inside this with my meat of the month club? It's almost like Soviet Union where you'd go to 20 different stores each one only selling one item.

Why don't these clubs partner with GroceryGateway or someone. After I pay subscription services for everything I put in my mouth there's not much money left for actual groceries....
greg / February 27, 2014 at 12:03 pm
Being a "coffee geek" sort of presumes that you know what you like and what you don't like at some point.

Which makes a subscription club of random surprises -- versus, say, ordering direct from your known favorite roasters -- somewhat pointless.

I don't understand how these new coffee middlemen expect to stay in business once newbies learn their preferences.