Monday, April 21, 2014Partly Cloudy 7°C
Eat & Drink

County General set to expand to Bloor St. & Queen East

Posted by Jen Hunter / December 5, 2013

New County General locationThe County General has announced some major plans for 2014. Owner Carlo Catallo plans expansion into two new sites, with different themes riffing on the popular cocktails 'n' rustic food aesthetic that has soaked up so much of West Queen West's dining cognoscenti since it opened in 2011.

After two years of close affiliation with Splendido, County is branching out by itself with chef Danai Hongwanishkul (Canoe) taking the reins from Victor Barry for culinary direction. While the original location at Queen and Shaw will continue pumping out their famous buttermilk fried chicken thigh sandwiches, they'll be expanding in the new year to the east end of the city at Queen and Boulton in the former site of the Canadian Pie Company with a cocktail-focused spot.

Catallo's plans include more light lunches and coffee during the day, with a shared plates / tapas focused menu in the evening. Here's hoping the east end gets treated to more of Jeff Carroll's much loved Manhattans and Caesars.

Later in the year, the County brand will also be extending north by moving into the restaurant space attached to the Paradise Cinema in Bloorcourt (formerly the home of Beirut Palace). With plans for a sizeable patio, Catallo and Hongwanishkul hope to bring their locally-sourced product to a wider crowd. With the original site still experiencing lengthy wait lists for both brunch and dinner, the soon to open new locations should make it easier to grab a table for one of their indulgent KFC dinners.

For more Toronto restaurant openings, check out our weekly roundup post.

Devon / December 5, 2013 at 09:51 am
YES! Love the County General
l'ilsad / December 5, 2013 at 10:40 am
Funny how Queen Westers are finally seeing the vast potential of Queen East.

Guess we need to enjoy our great anonymity for the last few months til the influx of beards find their way over the bridge.
Vasant / December 5, 2013 at 11:41 am
Sweet, now I can get my favourite burger everywhere.
riversyder replying to a comment from l'ilsad / December 5, 2013 at 12:02 pm
you said it!
annakarenina replying to a comment from l'ilsad / December 5, 2013 at 12:15 pm
great anonymity? queen western have been buying their crack and meth from queen east honey. We're aware of the easter portion of queen street.
Lorraine replying to a comment from l'ilsad / December 5, 2013 at 12:17 pm
Uh oh- someone feeling a lil' left out all the way in Queen East? Boo hoo.
Ps not everyone has a beard in the west end. Stereotypes are dumb. Stop whining.
l'ilsad replying to a comment from Lorraine / December 5, 2013 at 12:22 pm
Not left out in the least.
We have a plethora of fine establishments as it is.

Its the Westerners who are now seeing what the rest of us have known for years.

Guess you've realized there isn't a force field at Spadina stopping you from seeing the rest of the world.
mapshelp replying to a comment from annakarenina / December 5, 2013 at 12:23 pm
Pretty sure you are mistaking Parkdale for Queen East.
sheeple / December 5, 2013 at 12:25 pm
Uh oh. The Q-Dubs have to follow the trends.

Watch out Queen East. They are a coming.
Cassandra / December 5, 2013 at 01:03 pm
People are babies and all they want to do is complain. This whole 'west versus east' thing is pathetic. Get an real cause, with real consequences (beyond the fact that you might have to be around people who dress better than you). I'd like to hop over your imaginary wall and shit on your doorstep.
Lorraine replying to a comment from Cassandra / December 5, 2013 at 01:15 pm
Cassandra, I really could not have said it better myself.
?? replying to a comment from Cassandra / December 5, 2013 at 01:16 pm
Looks more like someone shit in your mouth, the way you spell.

"Get an real cause" ?
Lorraine replying to a comment from l'ilsad / December 5, 2013 at 01:16 pm
You're clearly an idiot. You have no idea where I'm from in this city, or where I've lived. Just relax and stop getting your panties in a bunch crying over "the evil Westerners". So pathetic.
Robert / December 5, 2013 at 01:20 pm
Scarborough represent!
Lorraine / December 5, 2013 at 01:21 pm
ALSO Can I remind all you brainiacs that Country General is a WEST END RESTAURANT that is EXPANDING to the East end. To add to your "plethora" of "fine establishments". *LAUGHING OUT LOUD*
suburbs replying to a comment from Lorraine / December 5, 2013 at 01:34 pm
So one minute you say its not an east/west thing.

Then by adding that little factoid, you clearly do care about east vs west.

Poor old Lorraine is so crossed eyed, looks like she was born on a Wednesday, looking both ways to Sunday.
Banana / December 5, 2013 at 01:42 pm
hi
Lorraine replying to a comment from suburbs / December 5, 2013 at 01:42 pm
Wow. "Suburbs". That's all the confirmation I needed to know you're the worst.

I'm out!
Cassandra replying to a comment from ?? / December 5, 2013 at 01:46 pm
Sincerest apologies for my grammatical error. I think that the snugness of my plaid shirt is cutting off the oxygen supply to my tiny, pop culture-obessed brain. As it is, it took me 20 minutes to formulate a response because I was manically checking my google alerts for hot new culinary spots.

For real, though. Let's put all this sillyness behind us. Consider this a formal invitation to the folktronica event that I'm organizing at the new cafe that I'll be setting up (Cafe Bright Bright Neon) across from your house. It'll be running 24/7. Your first 5 craft beers are free bud!

*LAUGHING UNTIL THE END OF TIME*
Lorraine replying to a comment from Cassandra / December 5, 2013 at 01:50 pm
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA
Cassandra / December 5, 2013 at 01:58 pm
HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Jeff / December 5, 2013 at 02:28 pm
Worth noting this article about the Victor/Carlo relationship:

loper / December 5, 2013 at 02:53 pm
$18 Manhattans? Hipsters? Beards? Fixies? East? West? Touques? Menstral Cramps? Rob Ford? Cities? Beer? Ears? Monkeys? Mac n' Cheese? Sidewalks?
Sarah / December 5, 2013 at 03:54 pm
I'll just leave it with a simple Hooray :) I love the East end, the more the merrier!
aDawg replying to a comment from Banana / December 5, 2013 at 06:49 pm
Well, hello.
seanm replying to a comment from Lorraine / December 6, 2013 at 09:25 am
You're ridiculous. You go from saying "stereotypes are dumb" to dismissing a commenter going by the handle "suburbs". Who's the worst now?

Hint: it's you.
Puriste / March 7, 2014 at 05:21 pm
Very excited to try it. Since moving east of the Dvp i find there is a lot to love in the east end however restaurants are not exciting ans lack personality so if county general could deliver that it is great ( in my humble opinion) and please do not make fun if my spelling I am still In the process of learning English