This Week in Food: Broastyy, Boar, Jazz Bistro, Drake 150, Taste of Iceland, Irish I Wasn't Hungover Brunch
This Week in Food rounds up the week's food news, restaurants openings and closings, chef movements and upcoming food events in Toronto. Find us here every Friday morning.
OPENINGS & CLOSINGS
- Broastyy is now open in Bloordale, serving up fried chicken from its 1281 Bloor Street West address (previously home to New York Fried Chicken).
- New Italian sandwich shop Boar, from the same team behind The Black Camel is now open at 3 Glebe Road (Yonge and Davisville).
- Jazz Bistro (251 Victoria Street) could be open as early as this weekend with lunch and pre-show menus planned to roll out over the next couple weeks and live music booked for the end of the month.
- Butter Chicken Roti has taken over the site of now defunct Ace of Spades tattoo parlour at 398 College Street. The aim is to open at the end of the March.
- The Drake Hotel has announced plans for further expansion with the addition of a new standalone restaurant the Drake 150, set to open in the financial district. Details to come.
- Queen Margherita Pizza's Annette location is officially open.
- Popular taco stand Seven Lives has secured standalone digs at 69 Kensington Ave.
- The Rusholme Park Supper Club presents Portland Surf & Turf by Dustin Jude at The Depanneur (1033 College Street) on Saturday, March 16th at 7:30pm. The West Coast inspired menu features 3 courses for $40.
- Celebrate St. Patrick's Day at The Drake Hotel (1150 Queen West) with a full Irish breakfast and chocolate stout donuts at the Irish I Wasn't Hungover Brunch served until 4pm on Sunday, March 17th.
- #YumTO presents the first of their 3-part Local Food Workshop + Dinner Series taking place on Wednesday, March 20th from 7 to 9pm at The Academy of Impossible (231 Wallace Avenue). Tickets for this media literacy community project are $125 and will include food and drink and, will engage participants in considering how the Bloordale neighbourhood eats.
- Head back to the The Drake Hotel (1150 Queen West) for The Taste of Iceland taking place from Thursday, March 21st to Sunday, March 24th. The $45 Icelandic Prix-Fixe starts at 6 om nightly and features a four course menu from Drake's Head Chef Darren Glew and Chef Hákon Már Örvarsson of Iceland.
- The Stop's next Food For Change dinner takes place on Thursday, March 21st with a 'Happy Birthday, Toronto' themed, family style dinner served for $60 in The Green Barn (601 Christie Street).
- Oliver & Bonacini's Jump will undergo renovations closing today, Friday, March 15th and reopening next month on April 15th.
- Macaron Day TO is Wednesday, March 20th and participating patisseries across Toronto will offer complimentary macarons in celebration. If one isn't enough, 25% of additional macaron purchases will be donated to the Red Door Family Shelter.
- Come & Get It will now bring it to you with the addition of delivery from 2pm until 8pm. Lunch delivery is also available for advance ($50 minimum) from noon until 2pm
Photo from Bobbette & Belle's Facebook page