This Week in Food: Cupcakes, Brioche Doree, Sips and Nibbles, Family Day Winter Picnic, Belated Valentine's
This Week in Food rounds up the week's food news, restaurants openings and closings, chef movements and upcoming food events in Toronto. Find us here every Friday morning.
OPENINGS & CLOSINGS
- Vancouver-based chain, Cupcakes (of W Network's reality series The Cupcake Girls fame) has opened its premiere Toronto location at 85 Laird Drive in Leaside.
- Brioche Dorée is now open at 648 King Street West. This is the first Toronto location for this European chain of Parisian bakery cafes, well known for its croissants, baguette sandwiches, crêpes and quiches.
- Toronto Underground Market's Sips and Nibbles takes place this Saturday, February 16th at the Steam Whistle Brewery (255 Bremner Boulevard). Tickets for this all-you-can-eat event are $75 for unlimited access to 10 of TUM's top vendors including favourites like ESÉ, Rock Lobster Food Co., and La Carnita.
- The Toronto Chapter of Canadian Organic Growers and The Big Carrot presents a one-day conference, Organic: The Way Forward on Saturday, February 16 at the UofT Conference Centre (89 Chestnut Street). Tickets are $85 and includes an organic lunch.
- The Rusholme Park Supper Club and Arthur Hill celebrate Québécois cuisine when they present Vive le Dépbac Libre! on Sunday, February 17th.
- The Evergreen Brick Works (550 Bayview Avenue) hosts a Family Day Winter Picnic from 11am to 3pm on Monday, February 18th. Pack your own picnic, contribute a vegetable to the My Little Dumplings' stone soup, or enjoy snacks from Pimenton and pizza in the wood-fired oven by Local Kitchen & Wine Bar.
- The Group of Seven Chefs and Soma present a Belated Valentine's Dinner on Monday, February 18th starting with an hors-d'oeuvres and cocktails reception, followed by a 5-course, chocolate-inspired tasting dinner. This event takes place at the Soma Roasting Shop (35 Golden Avenue), and tickets are $75.
- DishCrawl heads to North York at 7pm on Wednesday, February 27th, 2013 to taste the specialties of 4 North York eateries. Tickets are on sale now for $60.
- Today (Friday, February 15th) is the last day to order Momofuku's Family Day special, Bo Ssäm To Go. The $250 take-away meal (available for pick-up on Monday, February 18th) serves up to 8 people and includes a whole slow cooked pork butt, plus rice, lettuce and all the fixings (kimchi, ssäm and ginger scallion sauce) and crab salad.
- Hopgood's Foodliner (325 Roncesvalles Avenue) has opened a back room oyster shack to accomodate diners Thursday and Friday nights while they wait for tables. The new space will also be available for private seafood-fueled parties.
- The Drake Hotel celebrates it's 9th anniversary with free birthday cupcakes when you join them for breakfast, lunch or dinner on Thursday, February 21st.
Photo from our review of Hopgood's Foodliner