This Week in Food: Dyne, Yuzu, Academy of Spherical Arts, Monster Sham Eating contest, Taco Throwdown
This Week in Food rounds up the week's food news, restaurants openings and closings, chef movements and upcoming food events in Toronto. Find us here every Friday morning.
OPENINGS & CLOSINGS
- Dyne is now open at 120 Avenue Road, in the space formerly occupied by Maléna. The new restaurant features a globally inspired menu that pulls from Iberian and Asian influences.
- Yuzu, a sushi chain with numerous locations in Quebec is opening its first Toronto restaurant soon near King and Sherbourne.
- Kiva's is slated to open a third location of its popular bagel bar franchise at 2496 Yonge Street. The new bakery cafe is aiming for a February 1st launch.
- Melt Grilled Cheese will be opening its first downtown Toronto location at 300 Richmond St. next month, to the joy of club hoppers looking for a cheap, greasy snack.
- The Academy of Spherical Arts quietly closed its doors for good this past New Years Eve.
- Shamrock Burgers (6109 Kingston Road) hosts the semi-finals for the World Monster Sham Eating Contest on Saturday, January 12th starting at 1pm. The competitor to eat the most Monster Shams (2 all dressed 10oz burgers) in 10 minutes will be crowned the winner by this Scarborough burger joint.
- A Kombucha Brewing Workshop from Kathrin Brunner (For the Love of Body) is being held at 6:30 pm on Monday, January 14th. Loft 404 (263 Adelaide West) hosts this instructional session on how to make this popular fermented brew at home.
- ApéroChic rings in the new year with a taste of France on Thursday, January 17th at Bloke & 4th (401 King Street West). The specialty of this festive evening is glasses of bubbly and slices of French King Cake (Galette des Rois).
- Room 203 is accepting reservations now via email for a 15 course meal by Geoff Hopgood and Guy Rawlings to be held on Wednesday, January 30th at 7pm
- Space is limited for the second annual Death Row Meals Taco Throwdown taking place at take place at Rock Lobster Food Co. (110 Ossington Avenue) on Sunday, January 27th. Book your seat now to spend an afternoon sampling beer and food pairings from an impressive roster of competitors.
- Tickets are on sale now for a Baldwin Village edition of Dishcrawl happening on Tuesday, February 5th. The tour will make stops at four eateries in this hidden gem of a downtown neighbourhood
Photo from our review of Melt's Etobicoke location.