Wednesday, August 27, 2014Partly Cloudy 20°C
Eat & Drink

This Little Pig wants to get Toronto fat on bacon

Posted by Alexandra Grigorescu / January 31, 2013

Toronto baconLove bacon? You're not alone, and you'll be happy to hear of a new, little company with an emphasis on locally and ethically raised, grain-fed bacon and pork products. This Little Pig strives to create "showpiece" bacon--the pigs are raised on local family farms in Perth County and St. Jacobs, Ontario, and then naturally dry-cured and hardwood smoked in Stratford.

The idea here is that humane conditions lead to "a richer flavour profile," while the artisanal-level preparation yield none of that nauseating oily runoff in the pan, and very little shrinkage. Not convinced? The bacon comes in such mouthwatering flavours as double smoked, apple cinnamon, black pepper, and Montreal smoke--elevating the hangover shame-eating staple to great new heights of both taste and relative environmental responsibility. They're also expanding into other products such as pork chops.

The product aside, check out their website for a lesson in sensitively avoiding any allusion to the animal itself (except for adorable piglets in the video above), with my personal favourite tagline being "happy, clean, and healthy bacon" (emphasis mine, for obvious reasons).

This Little Pig is available in a growing roster of fine groceries, including Hogtown Cure, Fiesta Farms, Stasis, and Hooked.

PatrickS / January 31, 2013 at 09:33 am
Must. Have. It. Now. Holy crap that looks good, and it's not even cooked!
vader / January 31, 2013 at 10:06 am
Colon cancer anyone?
BH replying to a comment from vader / January 31, 2013 at 10:12 am
Yes, please!

I'd rather enjoy my life than eat tastless crap and live a few years longer.
vader replying to a comment from BH / January 31, 2013 at 10:16 am
Wow, looks like I hit a nerve and planted a seed. My job here is done. Enjoy eating dead bodies.
Frtiz replying to a comment from jer / January 31, 2013 at 10:19 am
You are totally right, if they are gonna die anyway, who cares how they are raised.
BH replying to a comment from vader / January 31, 2013 at 10:24 am
What nerve did you hit? What seed did you plant?

You won't stop me from enjoying those yummy dead bodies. You might plant a seed in somebody else (not me) if you weren't so smug about yourself.
d.a.r.y.l. / January 31, 2013 at 10:35 am
@ vader - the only seed you planted is that you're a smug, imposing, douche.
delicious bacon for some, veggies for others.
Parker / January 31, 2013 at 10:38 am
Watch your subject-verb agreement: "...the pigs IS raised"
Copy editor, where are you??!
DuhMes / January 31, 2013 at 10:42 am
Vegans/Vegetarians are the best when it comes to "not killing" animals for food, blah blah blah.

Yet they find it completely OK to eat all the food nature intended for those exact animals. Seeds, plants, etc.

Why are you eating all their food, jerks.
Rob replying to a comment from Parker / January 31, 2013 at 10:42 am
This is blogto.com not the New York Times print edition.

Get over yourself.
Datter / January 31, 2013 at 10:47 am
Let's get this thread fired up!!

Who likes meat and who doesn't? Who thinks animals are for eating, and who doesn't?

Thats what this article on some random bacon company was all about. right?
JohnB / January 31, 2013 at 11:04 am
What exactly is the nauseatingly oily runoff supposed to be? Delicious bacon fat?
Q replying to a comment from Datter / January 31, 2013 at 11:10 am
Right. But your wording is a little unfortunate. Essentially it's about bringing forth comments which expose the necrophilic characteristics (obsession with everything dead, and putrid smells) of those who eat charred carcases and the biophilic nature of those who love and embrace life ie. Vegans/Vegetarians.
the lemur replying to a comment from DuhMes / January 31, 2013 at 11:12 am
Because a) there's enough for all and b) humans and animals don't always eat the same things and c) when you eat an animal you are indirectly eating the plants that it ate anyway?
tBAG / January 31, 2013 at 11:23 am
Meh, as much as I like bacon, this fad's getting old...
Simmerdownguy replying to a comment from the lemur / January 31, 2013 at 11:33 am
Look at you, Facty Mcgee.
Parker replying to a comment from Rob / January 31, 2013 at 11:34 am
Don't make excuses like "it's just a blog". I'm not expecting elegant, exquisitely crafted prose. Running a basic spell/grammar check would pick up egregious errors like this one, and is easy to do -- even for BlogTO.
Rob replying to a comment from Parker / January 31, 2013 at 11:46 am
So, yeah, you still haven't gotten over yourself.

Cool. You must be a blast at parties.
Parker replying to a comment from Rob / January 31, 2013 at 11:49 am
You seem pretty judgmental yourself.
Someone's gotta be a crank...it might as well be me.
Whatever replying to a comment from Q / January 31, 2013 at 11:49 am
I'll continue to enjoy my dead animal parts, thanks
oinkoinkoink / January 31, 2013 at 12:18 pm
WWJD..

EAT BACON. LOTS OF IT.
bobo / January 31, 2013 at 01:04 pm
Pigs are highly intelligent, and genetically quite similar to humans.

Most humans are fairly narcissistic. Perhaps that is the subconscious origin of the ritual fascination with eating something that is very close to eating their own flesh.
BH replying to a comment from bobo / January 31, 2013 at 02:01 pm
Seems to be a lot of passive-aggressive carnivore-envy going on here, complete with 5 dollar words and 5 cent arguments.

And yet that bacon in the top picture still looks delicious.
meat / January 31, 2013 at 02:08 pm
I'd eat human.
LJ / January 31, 2013 at 02:17 pm
vegetarians and grammar trolls tend to ruin just about everything.
CLA replying to a comment from Frtiz / January 31, 2013 at 02:20 pm
Really? I 'm going to take a wild guess and say that you're overweight, unhealthy, mostly sedentary and suffering from one or more ailments/allergies/etc. How can you say "who cares how they were raised" when what you are putting into your body directly and solely affects your health and well being? Try reading "Diet for a Gentle World" by Les Inglis and then tell me again that you don't care how your PIG was raised.

By the way - y'all need to get over your obsession with gorging yourselves on animals - it's sick and twisted, not to mention extremely unhealthy. You need to eat to live - no more, no less.
Greg / January 31, 2013 at 02:22 pm
Ah Toronto's Gluttony. Celebrating the suffering of animals everywhere with misplaced wit, snide remarks, and hedonistic indulgence of all things bacon. So tired, so old, so un-evolved.
Matt / January 31, 2013 at 02:35 pm
You don't make friends with salad
Frtiz replying to a comment from CLA / January 31, 2013 at 02:38 pm
You guessed wrong. Keep talking though.
Rob replying to a comment from CLA / January 31, 2013 at 02:53 pm
Obnoxious vegetarian with an ego, pretends to see into the minds and stomachs and futures of others, RECOMMENDS SOMETHING TO READ FOR ENLIGHTENMENT PURPOSES (LOL).

Yes, please keep going.
CLA replying to a comment from Rob / January 31, 2013 at 03:09 pm
I'm actually not even close to being a vegetarian - I just choose to think critically about what I put into my body. I also realize (as should you) that the animals I eat were once living creatures and deserve to be respected - not treated like yet another "trend" in the culinary world.

People who believe that animals, including pigs, only have one purpose on our planet - to stuff down our gullets when we're hung over on a Sunday morning - are obnoxious, not to mention much toon easily offended by people who would rather exercise their brains than their stomachs.
meatymcmeaterson / January 31, 2013 at 03:16 pm
The self righteousness of vegan-atarians drives me to eat meat.
Rob replying to a comment from CLA / January 31, 2013 at 03:21 pm
LOL. I think the CLA stands for Conclusions Leaping Asshole.

What makes you think people in this thread aren't doing that... by talking about how much they crave a product that's locally grown and factory free? You might have a point if the lead photo was a glistening pile of Schneider's best or a postmortem shot of Babe strung up on hooks. Do you actually expect people to cry before they eat meat like you do (if you even eat meat, which you so, so obviously don't)?

But, please, go on...

sunny / January 31, 2013 at 03:22 pm
“Mmm … bacon”
CLA replying to a comment from Rob / January 31, 2013 at 03:38 pm
If I were a vegetarian, why would I hide it here? I actually just ate a turkey sandwich about an hour ago (without shedding a single tear), but I digress...

In case you've forgotten, my original comment was a reply to someone who stated that they couldn't care less about how the animals they eat are raised. I wasn't making a blanket statement about everyone commenting on this article, however I do have an inkling that you are more concerned with the fact that your bacon is non-shrinking and apple cinnamon-flavoured rather than how the pig was treated before it was turned into perfectly cured meat strips.
Frtiz replying to a comment from CLA / January 31, 2013 at 04:40 pm
FYI my original comment was a response to the cheeky onion article.

It was of course, sarcastic

I really do care about where my meat comes from and I will be trying this delicious looking bacon
samwise / January 31, 2013 at 05:10 pm
Tortured flesh and stomach cemeteries.
Hmmm replying to a comment from Greg / January 31, 2013 at 07:21 pm
You just need some bacon, you self-righteous, moralizing schoolmarm. It'll make you feel better.
Michelle / January 31, 2013 at 09:49 pm
Woweee! 41 comments on a review of bacon! What're we reviewing tomorrow, BlogTO!?
GiveITaRest replying to a comment from vader / January 31, 2013 at 10:01 pm
VADER VADER VADER The only nerve you it is in my prostate, I can feel a thick swollen vein that needs to be scratched