Thursday, October 2, 2014Cloudy 16°C
Eat & Drink

Does Kensington fishmonger have a rat problem?

Posted by Staff / January 29, 2013

New Seaway Fish Market RatsIn a possible preview of "next week on DineSafe," a local redditor appears to have snapped an, um, unappetizing photo (see below) of New Seaway Fish Market. Yep, those would be rats.

The thread, which appeared on the Toronto sub-reddit yesterday has sparked the type of conversation that always seems to come up when these little guys are spotted at a Chinatown or Kensington Market establishment: is the presence of vermin just par for the course for neighbourhoods whose streets are lined with produce or does a sighting like this indicate gross neglect on the part of the individual business owner?

The individual who posted the photo claims to have informed Toronto Public Health of the issue, so stay tuned to see how the store performs on its next inspection. They've had some issues with DineSafe in the past, but nothing on this level.

Update (Thursday, January 31st):
New Seaway Fish Market RatsThis probably won't surprise anyone, but lo and behold, New Seaway has been shut down by Toronto Public Health. If the photo wasn't enough to convince you, here's a portion of the DineSafe report.

The Toronto Star also has a full write-up on the closure.

Rats New Seaway KensingtonLead photo by fortinbras on Flickr

captain obvious / January 29, 2013 at 02:43 pm
Woah woah wait, a major urban city has a fish shop in one of the oldest neighbourhoods around that has rodents in it? HOLY FECK THIS IS SOME GROUNDBREAKING NEWS!
M / January 29, 2013 at 02:52 pm
TWO of my Facebook friends who live or work in Kensington posted separate photos they took of the rats at this place between Saturday and today. Seems like more than a minor issue.
Stefanie / January 29, 2013 at 02:54 pm
They don't have rats in Bracebridge. Bracebridge is where I'm from and it's a wonderful city. There is no streetcar vs. traffic issue there but because I came here to go to Ryerson, I am now a Torontonian.

I'm so glad there are no rats in Bracebridge.
John / January 29, 2013 at 02:56 pm
Adorable!
Matt / January 29, 2013 at 03:00 pm
Unfortunate, but not shocking because rats are a part of life in the city. I rent an apartment on a nice street where houses sell for well over $700k and I have seen rats several times cruising around in the middle of the day. I like New Seaway and I hope they can contain the problem, though I bet every other fishmonger (and fruit vendor, and cheese shop, etc.) in Kensington has or has had a similar issue.
Sophia replying to a comment from Stefanie / January 29, 2013 at 03:07 pm
You mean to say the streets of Bracebridge don't get congested when everyone heads to Santa's Village on the same Sunday afternoon?????
Sophia / January 29, 2013 at 03:09 pm
PS Market's been closed til the problem's remedied
Mr. H / January 29, 2013 at 03:09 pm
Go to New York or Paris.
HL / January 29, 2013 at 03:15 pm
Its "hip" to have rats.
Thats why Kensington does it.
Laura replying to a comment from Stefanie / January 29, 2013 at 03:18 pm
I'm sorry, if you're hating on Toronto and our rats, you're not a Torontonian, Stefanie.
Bamboo / January 29, 2013 at 03:26 pm
Come on guys, it's just ratatouille and his mates looking for ingredient. no biggie.
Seymour / January 29, 2013 at 03:37 pm
The Metro and Loblaws have rat problems as well... rats love food... who knew? As long as a business makes an effort to keep the problem "under control" you can remain open... you will never rid the city of rodents.
Anthony replying to a comment from Stefanie / January 29, 2013 at 03:40 pm
Yeah we are too, when are you going home ?
glenn storey replying to a comment from Stefanie / January 29, 2013 at 03:41 pm
no rats in bracebridge? bracebridge doesn't have a town dump? they're are rats everywhere, don't try and kid yourself.
glenn storey replying to a comment from Stefanie / January 29, 2013 at 03:41 pm
oops. there are. my bad.
Dre / January 29, 2013 at 03:49 pm
Sure everyone has rodents but not everyone is careless enough to leave a bag of... what is that flour? sugar? Put your food in sealable containers! This is pure carelessness.
gonzo / January 29, 2013 at 04:02 pm
The fish stores in Kensington stink like fish. And you know what? Fish don't stink. Rotten fish stink. Forget about the hygiene, how about a shop that sells quality fresh product? That's what Sanigans does and why they're worth a trip into the market.
BB / January 29, 2013 at 04:06 pm
"The thing that is in Room 101 is the worst thing in the world."
Jon / January 29, 2013 at 04:06 pm
What if this was a chinese restaurant? I feel like the reaction would be much worse.
Spadina / January 29, 2013 at 04:09 pm
I don't suppose anyone at BlogTO tried to actually speak to anyone at New Seaway Fish Market?
duh replying to a comment from gonzo / January 29, 2013 at 04:09 pm
Sanigans doesn't sell fish.
really replying to a comment from Jon / January 29, 2013 at 04:18 pm
Just read any weekly Dine Safe posting.

Look at the amount of Asian restaurants on those things.

Not always about infestations, but by God...the amount of violations they have. Unbelievable.
r / January 29, 2013 at 04:42 pm
this is a sign of satanic worship. there are also so many cockaroaches in the market. i am not sure how they serve food there.
crumbs / January 29, 2013 at 05:57 pm
I feel like every place in Kensington has a rat problem. Kensington = rats.
richard / January 29, 2013 at 06:02 pm
How much are they a pound?
gerrard / January 29, 2013 at 06:21 pm
kensington market is the rat and cockroach infested armpit of Toronto. I really cant believe people grocery shop there, convenience or the vibe is not a good enough excuse for these places.
Ken / January 29, 2013 at 06:36 pm
Went in that part of town - ONCE! Never again.
stopitman replying to a comment from gerrard / January 29, 2013 at 06:53 pm
Anyone who doesn't think that even the newest grocery stores in the newest areas of the GTA don't have rats or mice is entirely delusional.

Of course, most places take pains to make sure that it's harder for them to get the stuff (keeping it off of the floor, traps, etc.) and so long as there's an active pest control program and food that's being sold to customers isn't contaminated, they won't get shut down by the health department. Otherwise no store with any sort of food would be open.
Jim replying to a comment from really / January 29, 2013 at 08:30 pm
That's why I'm glad to be from Bracebridge where we only have big box chain restaurants and the only really foreign thing on the menu are nachos (I hate when they put the red bell peppers on them, they're so spicy!).
Porcelain / January 29, 2013 at 09:01 pm
Lots of Asian haters and Kensington haters on here. Pity. If you haters live anywhere in the city just leave your door open. I promise you'll have rats no matter which neighbourhood you inhabit. Same for any city in the world. Same for any rural building. Vermin rule globally and will likely outlast humanity. Get over it.
Mary Jane / January 29, 2013 at 09:05 pm
I am so relieved to be from Bracebridge! No rats, no variety, no culture, no nothing! Instead, I just drive my gas guzzler down to the big 'ol store and stock up on pre-made everything! No nutrients, no freshness, no germs, no nothing! I ain't ever getting contaminated by the vermin of city life! I'm gonna live forever!
seanm replying to a comment from Jim / January 29, 2013 at 09:09 pm
Bracebridge actually has some really great independent restaurants, and of course Muskoka Brewery. Stefanie's bizarre comment makes it seem like the locals are a little backwoods though.
reddit? / January 29, 2013 at 10:20 pm
So does every article on BlogTO now just come from Reddit? The two are literally the same thing now.
kreep / January 29, 2013 at 10:26 pm
Hai Stephanie do y'all gat tham group toilets um in them Braces o Bridges haiiii y'alll!
Jmons / January 30, 2013 at 12:26 pm
I moved in above Sea Kings just down the street from New Seaway after a renovation several years ago. Reno didn't matter, the place was infested with cockroaches. I fought long and hard to keep the place clean and take out the roaches but they won by a long shot.

Had the odd rat here and there in the alleyway, maybe a bit easier to control? Saw one scurry out of La Palette's garbage bin once as well. Kensington will always have infestation problems.
reuven / January 30, 2013 at 05:29 pm
I have been Seaway customer for over ten years! I know the current owner, Kim since he took over a few years ago; he is an honest, very hadr working chap.

He sells the freshest fish in the market! Full stop.

He takes all the fish off display every evening and puts them in the freezer room behind a heavy locked door. He then washes of the display every evening.

You have to ask yourself if the rats live there or got in there in those days when the temperature got below -10C.

I know he found the hole through which these bastards got in and worked all last night to plug it.

I will keep shopping there; in fact I just did.
yt / January 30, 2013 at 09:27 pm
funny, i seem to remember a lot of fish out over night when i looked last thursday. maybe this is a new policy...putting food away over night?
Linds / January 31, 2013 at 02:42 pm
I lived in Calgary for awhile and it was rat free. One of the only good things about that city :P
sandy replying to a comment from Mary Jane / January 31, 2013 at 02:47 pm
Obviously, ppl from bracebridge seem to be very close minded, ignorant ppl who probably have never left their own town ever in their lives.....you need to open up and and realize there are many other cultures and wonderful people outside the world of bracebridge. Close minded means you teach your kids to be racist and haters...
Alex replying to a comment from Stefanie / January 31, 2013 at 04:11 pm
They got hoodrats in bracebridge, :)
Steve / February 1, 2013 at 01:35 pm
Wanda's Pie now found to have rats... Odd that there's nothing about it on this website....
Steve replying to a comment from Steve / February 1, 2013 at 01:48 pm
Oh my bad here it is buried in with other stories.

Why so much outrage on the New Seaway Fish Market story and nothing on Wanda's?

Steve replying to a comment from Steve / February 1, 2013 at 01:51 pm
Oh my bad here it is buried in with other stories.

Why so much outrage on the New Seaway Fish Market story and nothing on Wanda's?
K Hamilton / April 3, 2013 at 05:21 pm
I have been a New Seaway customer for years too. Wonderful varieties of oysters, fresh fish, smoked fish, sashimi. Hard-working owner and charming son. Just came back from the market where I saw they are closed probably for ever -- I'm guessing this story damaged the business too much for them to stay open.

It's a stupid shame. Knee-jerk squeals from some young person I suppose, maybe someone who thinks milk comes from bottles. But the Star should have known better, and just sent it along to Public Health for investigation -- those folks are fast! -- instead of creating a tempest in a teapot that appears to have ruined a family business inappropriately. Must have been a slow news day.

The whole city has rats, mice, raccoons, squirrels, etc -- and sometimes they get in any bldg -- don't imagine supermarkets are immune! -- and then you have to get them out again tout suite, block the route, and clean like a maniac; it's just that simple. I am happy to shop at New Seaway and almost any shop in the market: the owners are very clean and careful, in my opinion even more so than in larger stores.
K Hamilton / April 3, 2013 at 05:29 pm
Just to add -- if the issue was building maintenance, e.g. basement walls &c, it would probably be the building owner's responsibility to keep the building fit for rental income.